Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Do you fear your government?

Do you distrust or fear your government? Specifically, the potential abuse of power or authority by your government? What conditions would have to be met for you to not believe your government anymore?

I'm asking this with Americans in mind but would also like to hear from people of other countries.

Deleted
    distrust it? sort of. fear it? no.

Distrust, sure.

Fear? not at all.

edit: damnit peggleftw!

I fear for them (American) because if they keep this path going, they will have a few problems on their hands. I know people in my area are really pissed off and ready to show it.

Deleted
    I've never felt that my government was out to get me in any way. UK here, we don't have such a big deal on patriotism and freedom here, I find it quite comfortable.

Deleted
    If I were american I would 100% not trust my government. Blatant economical corruption rules the US.

For me (in the UK) I'm actually frustrated by how little authority our gov uses, never can make their damn mind up. If it ever did abuse power on me and my family I would not hesitate to stand my ground and protest in an appropriate manner so no I don't fear it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Politicians who are proven to have abused their power of office should be subject to harsher penalties. Right now it's a fucking joke when they catch you swindling tax dollars. And more transparency on the workings of government, should be a single unified website with easy to use interface to see exactly what goes on in all branches of the government. And the use of this website should be taught to school children at a early age.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Sure I do.

They are always watching.

Not until I cross them.

I do not fear my government.
    Spotify - Hardstyle | Hardcore

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe our government (US) does things without our knowledge and keeps it a secret, that much is obvious. I do not trust them at times because I am somewhat of a conspiracy theorists (not to the extreme, just a bit). I think they do shady things we don't know about because the public would disapprove; but do I fear them? Not really, even with all the new acts congress tosses about.

"We all die, that's just a natural part of life. But if you are living without a purpose, you're already dead." -Kiba, Wolf's Rain

I don't really fear my government, I fear the general public's ignorance. We're far to ready to forgo our rights for a false sense of security. We have given the government too much power.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." -Thomas Jefferson
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. The government should be fearing us, not the other way around. If we knew our rights, we'd be rebelling against unfair practices and the like, not twittering about it and doing nothing about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't fear my government. I've worked in places where the government was a thing to fear. The US government is a lot less scary than most of those I've encountered in the world.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I gotta agree. I distrust our government.

Do I fear it? Not so much...what I do fear is that their selfish, short-sighted, self-serving interests might come and bite ME in the ass some day soon in the future. I fear that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chosenkiwi View Post
    If I were american I would 100% not trust my government. Blatant economical corruption rules the US.

For me (in the UK) I'm actually frustrated by how little authority our gov uses, never can make their damn mind up. If it ever did abuse power on me and my family I would not hesitate to stand my ground and protest in an appropriate manner so no I don't fear it.
    I was wondering how long it would take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

Nope. Am i am more afraid of (for) other governments like Greece who seem unwilling to acknowledge the situation they have put themselves in, Iran for obvious reasons, or North Korea who banned cell phones...
    Last edited by openair; 2012-02-13 at 08:18 PM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I distrust my government.

I fear the people who don't.

Their vote counts just as much as mine.

nope, not much to fear imo.

/ le sigh

now that i posted this people are gonna reply-quote me so they can try and turn me to the tinfoil hats, arent they?
    ''If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it.'' Quoted from-

As long as you don't cross their path it's ok, but if you get into a business that someone in the government is controlling then you get shut down, or you end up in jail awaiting prosecution. And that waiting period is about 2-3 years which is the maximum they can hold you according to law ...

i think politicians are a bunch of liars and con men, but no i don't fear them, i am just annoyed by them.