Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

I don't get Valentine's Day haters

People and this "Single's awareness day" crap, I just don't get it.

Where does it say that Valentine's Day is simply a couples (bf/gf, husband/wife, etc) thing? Love your family and friends, and if you have one, your significant other. I'm a bit annoyed with all the people who hate on it because they think it's JUST for couples.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I often have had bad luck on Valentines Day. Is that reason enough to dislike it? I think it might be!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

People who don't have anyone that fits the mold of somewhat significant other hate it because valentine's day reminds them how they're alone. I'm not saying that it's right, but I'm pretty sure that's why.

I'm currently single and I have nothing against valentines day at all. What I do not get about it is the vast amount of materialism put out, and the sexual favors that are implied in return for them. Commercials are getting quite crazy about "buy this for your girlfriend/wife;she will HAVE to have sex with you!" in my opinion. If I wanted to pay for sex I would get a hooker.

I'm single and I think Valentine's Day is ridiculous, people go crazy when there's no reason to, if you love someone you will make everyday special not just have ONE day reserved for special things, just doesnt make sense. I'm proud to be single and not every single man/woman complains about Valentine's Day, just the ones who want attention :/
    Miranda Rights: Miranda has the right to a decent man to help her raise her baby.

In a serious relationship and still hate Valentine's Day. Completely pointless, commercial holiday.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grumpy moogle dislikes holidays in general.

But I agree, I don't understand the whole anti-holiday things that people do.

I dislike Valentine's Day solely because it has to be that one day of 'oh yeah, I guess I do care about [insert significant other/family/friend/etc]. Guess I'll show it with a thoughtless card/flowers/chocolate/dinner/etc.

If you actually care about those people then why does 1 day matter any more than another? Then again I feel similarly about Christmas, in that if you want to give someone a gift, give them a gift.

If I want to show my love/affection for my wife, I'll take her out to a fancy-shmancy dinner because she had a bad day or just because. Same concept applies to gifts.

Though, I suppose that's just me. Forced love holiday is kind of crap to me despite being happily married. Thank goodness my wife hates Hallmark Day, too.

I'm not going to call someone names/hate on them because they want to do whatever on Valentines or Christmas or whatever, but only so long as the thought is there. Not just 'oh shit I forgot I care, hope this one day makes up for the rest of the year or something'.

I think you're confused, OP. Valentine's is for couples. That's the whole point.
    Keep The Beats!

i see it as an excuse to sit at home eat chinese food and watch bad movies. Idk its just a silly holiday, its just guys trying extra hard to "get lucky". More or less its just using one day to make up for the other 364 days we as a collective decided not to do anything special lol. I dont hate valentines day, i just hate everyone that makes a big show of the day. Dont fret though, i hate everyone the other 364 days too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Valentines day is just another day where people are "pushed" to buy something for someone else or do something with them, it's commercial and just for money making, plus it makes single people generally feel like shit because they are single.

If you love someone truly you will show them that no matter what day it is of the year, why it has to be a specific day of the year is silly... shops just want people to go nuts.
    For the Horde!

10+ Year Old Account
    Valentine's haters are usually people who can't get someone to touch their genitals at that point in time.

If you're with someone you shouldn't need a stupid day like Valentine's Day to show them they're special. If you're single and grouchy because you feel like it's a "special day" and you're alone well then grow the fuck up. It's just another day and it means nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    I dislike Valentine's Day solely because it has to be that one day of 'oh yeah, I guess I do care about [insert significant other/family/friend/etc]. Guess I'll show it with a thoughtless card/flowers/chocolate/dinner/etc.

If you actually care about those people then why does 1 day matter any more than another? Then again I feel similarly about Christmas, in that if you want to give someone a gift, give them a gift.

If I want to show my love/affection for my wife, I'll take her out to a fancy-shmancy dinner because she had a bad day or just because. Same concept applies to gifts.

Though, I suppose that's just me. Forced love holiday is kind of crap to me despite being happily married. Thank goodness my wife hates Hallmark Day, too.

I'm not going to call someone names/hate on them because they want to do whatever on Valentines or Christmas or whatever, but only so long as the thought is there. Not just 'oh shit I forgot I care, hope this one day makes up for the rest of the year or something'.
    Same could be said for Christmas and Turkey Day, etc etc etc.

I think everyone is open to their opinion about Valentine's day. I'm an Atheist and Christmas and Easter is about as real as Valentines day or Thanksgiving to me. It's a day picked out because of it it's date on the fiscal calender to generate income for the American economy. However it be shallow, if you don't participate in it you're rejecting society and missing out on life. Being alone on Valentines day makes me bitter and sad, spending it with a beautiful woman who I take home for some romance is awesome! Spending Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner eating Chinese food is kinda lonely and sad, but being surrounded by family and friends getting fat off of home cooking is so much fun. I'm sure different days mean different things to different people, but to me they're just random days picked to do specific stuff with people.

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    Same could be said for Christmas and Turkey Day, etc etc etc.
    Exactly why I mentioned Christmas.

I suppose you could include Thanksgiving in this about 'togetherness' and sharing a big family meal and whatnot, but my god -- if my mom cooks up a badass meal because it happens to fall on Thanksgiving? I'm fucking there regardless of the meaning behind it. Why? My mom is a kickass cook, that's why.

Why do you need a day as a reason to show your love to those near you? Stuff like Valentine's Day is stupid if you ask me, it's purely there for the stores to harvest your money. I don't need some silly date to tell me to love my girlfriend, I do it on a daily basis. It's just way too easy to simply send them chocolate or a flower and believe that's jobs done because a certain event tells you to. It makes your "love" towards a person fake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's a commercial holiday trying to get people to treat their boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse for one day a year how they should treat them every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont hate it, i just dont like it because the media/friends and family that do have girlfriends spew romantic crap at my face
    (like seeing restaurants filled with couples, tv ads, facebook status updates, brother and cousins with their gfs)
    and probably because im always alone at valentines day..

If i had a girlfriend i would care for her all year long and not only valentines/christmas.

Last edited by Antherios; 2012-02-14 at 07:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if you need a day to force affection on your lover because it's the status quo, that's kind of sad. That's why I dislike it.