Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Depleted Uranium Ammunition

In war, the advantages of Depleted Uranium munitions are many. However many people oppose its use.

The United States and its NATO allies maintain that Depleted Uranium dust (a by-product) doesn't cause cancer and birth defects, however, 136 countries are citing other research saying that it does.

Which side do you think is right?

Here is the wikipedia entry:
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depleted_uranium

Personally, I have no contact with Iraq Tank Carcasses. Really, the bullets are way to expensive to be used on a scale large enough to effect anyone that doesn't walk around and living in the fucking dust. Next we will be rating water saying it can kill you if you live in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm no radiologist, so I won't pretend I know the effect of the bullets on humans (other than the intended effect of putting gaping holes in them).

But I do know that if I had a magic bullet that my enemy didn't have, I'd say anything I had to in order to keep using it. Right or wrong, it's kind of hard to blame NATO for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    I'm no radiologist, so I won't pretend I know the effect of the bullets on humans (other than the intended effect of putting gaping holes in them).

But I do know that if I had a magic bullet that my enemy didn't have, I'd say anything I had to in order to keep using it. Right or wrong, it's kind of hard to blame NATO for trying.
    They are way to pricey for targeting Humans. The are used to punch through steel and hardened targets.

(Just noticed this is the OP's first Post) Not sure if serious >.>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    They are way to pricey for targeting Humans. The are used to punch through steel and hardened targets.

(Just noticed this is the OP's first Post) Not sure if serious >.>
    Even better. So it's an bullet that'll go through an armored vehicle, and only America and it's allies can afford it? Yeah, there's no way I'd give that up if I were in charge. I'd come up with bullshit research too.

Also, I think your earlier point is very strong. Anyone being shot at with these is clearly intended to be dead anyway, and who the hell rolls around inside of abandoned military equipment? If it's just a few bullets, I'm guessing you'd have to be really close for a very long time to get cancer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Even better. So it's an bullet that'll go through an armored vehicle, and only America and it's allies can afford it? Yeah, there's no way I'd give that up if I were in charge. I'd come up with bullshit research too.

Also, I think your earlier point is very strong. Anyone being shot at with these is clearly intended to be dead anyway, and who the hell rolls around inside of abandoned military equipment? If it's just a few bullets, I'm guessing you'd have to be really close for a very long time to get cancer.
    This is kinda my line of thinking. If you just got shot in the liver, I don't think getting cancer in 10 years is gonna be on your list of priorities.

Likewise if that bullet was instead used to penetrate and detonate the fuel tank on the tank you were riding around in.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Unless you enjoy EATING the dust, the radiation exposure from that stuff would barely register above background radiation (which you are exposed to right this second).

The A-10 Warthog uses those in their twin miniguns. 1000 50cal rounds from each gun will go through tanks like tin foil.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, we do not care that their sole purpose is to kill people. But we are concerned about other harmful effects of DU munitions?

Quote Originally Posted by Metallikiddd View Post
    The A-10 Warthog uses those in their twin miniguns. 1000 50cal rounds from each gun will go through tanks like tin foil.
    Twin Miniguns? It is a 30 cal Vulcan Gatling Cannon. Are you actually talking about the A10 or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by Fuger View Post
    Twin Miniguns? It is a 30 cal Vulcan Gatling Cannon. Are you actually talking about the A10 or something else?
    Some people just don't know the difference...

15+ Year Old Account
    Just the other day there was a news report of the children with leukemia in Fallujah rose 10 times.
    The war criminals that litter the US Army & NATO forces will always label it as an ammunition with no side effects.

Some reports state it is actually higher than among the children born after Hiroshima..

Wéll as long as no precious american or britt die who cares, right?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

minigun like from predator. 50cal rounds. those things are huge. 30cal vulcan?...ain't that what the apache has?

Deleted
    There are plenty of countries who use DU ammunition including Russia and China. The problem is not enemies in armored vehicles, noone cares about them, but civilians who will have uran dust in earth after the war is long over. It wouldn't be so great to "free" a country like Iraq and cause tousends childern cancer cases afterwards. So this question is important. Same goes for other weapons, like anti-personnel mine, which kill civilians long after wars are over.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khalahn View Post
    It's all too confusing:

Minigun

Vulcan

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Just the other day there was a news report of the children with leukemia in Fallujah rose 10 times.
    The war criminals that litter the US Army & NATO forces will always label it as an ammunition with no side effects.

Some reports state it is actually higher than among the children born after Hiroshima..

Wéll as long as no precious american or britt die who cares, right?
    Damn Straight.

---------- Post added 2012-02-14 at 10:58 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ag666 View Post
    It's all too confusing:

Minigun

Vulcan
    One is just around 6 yards long.

Quote Originally Posted by Khalahn View Post
    Honestly, even after looking it up on Wikipedia right now I'm still not sure I know the difference. I guess "minigun" refers to a specific model of gun, and "gatling" is the general class of weapons with multiple rotating barrels? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Meteoric View Post
    Honestly, even after looking it up on Wikipedia right now I'm still not sure I know the difference. I guess "minigun" refers to a specific model of gun, and "gatling" is the general class of weapons with multiple rotating barrels? Or what?
    MiniGUN

Gatling CANNON

Pretty simple. One STALLS a full size Jet.

---------- Post added 2012-02-14 at 11:02 AM ----------

My bad, it is actually a 30mm gatling cannon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoric View Post
    Minigun (m134) is model's name. Vulcan (m61) is model's name, Gatling is weapon type (named after inventor). Cannon is weapon class, Gun is weapon class.
    Both Minigun and Vulcan are Gatlings. BUT! Minigun is Gatling GUN. Vulcan is Gatling CANNON. Difference is in the caliber.

15+ Year Old Account
    The US/ UK traditionally dont care for any sort of collateral damage or side effect in regards of weaponry.
    Agent Orange giving birth defects or cancer? Well it is not Kevin in Texas who siffer so who cares.
    Children picking up small cluster bombs thinkging it are toys? Well its not Cindy in Iowa who died so who cares.
    Children getting cancer from DU ammunition? Well its not Jack in Devon who does so who cares.

Lets talk guns instead, its much more important!
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.