Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How to get my laptop to stop using Intel graphics?

Hi, so I've got a lenovo y570 with a GT 555m Nvidia card, and Intel 3000. When I play SW:TOR I'm pretty sure it uses the NVIDIA card, but I just tried Skyrim today and I get really choppy fps. So I looked around to see what might be the problem, and I saw that a new Icon had appeared, and it was the Intel 3000 icon. So I assume that it's using that card instead of the GT 555m, and I don't know why.

I went to my NVIDIA control panel to try to change stuff but as you can see here http://i.imgur.com/CjnI0.png it seems that it has the Integrated graphics as "preferred". I looked around on google and saw that people had this option set to GT 555m, but on mine it's faded out and I can't click it I'm not really experienced with this stuff, does anyone have any clue how to change this?

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly you can't, the laptops monitor is hardwired directly through the Intel GPU. Try adding a Program Profile into Nvidia Control Panel and forcing the Nvidia GPU. You also may want to try getting updated drivers as it could fix the issue with not being able to select the 555M. I'd suggest maybe trying http://www.laptopvideo2go.com

I don't understand how it works. Why does it use the GT555m sometimes and other times it uses the Intel?

<-- This is what happens when someone uses a Mac for 3 years. I'm totally clueless when it comes to anything other than my desktop.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    I don't understand how it works. Why does it use the GT555m sometimes and other times it uses the Intel?

<-- This is what happens when someone uses a Mac for 3 years. I'm totally clueless when it comes to anything other than my desktop.

Because it operates based on Profiles specified toward a specific GPU. If there is no profile for the program/game then it will default to the Intel.

This is kinda new on laptops. I have an Asus myself, and it also has 2 graphics cards. Reason that it uses one over the other is based on power. So if you are working on the desktop, say with excel or just browsing, you will use the on board card. When you start up games like SWTOR, it will use the better card.

I also had a little trouble activating the right card (mine was using the better card all the time), but after downloading the newest Nvidia card drivers, it works perfectly.

So I downloaded the latest driver and I'm still having the problem... I can't select GT555M in the "preferred" option. >.< Now I don't know if my computer is even using the 555M at all, or if it's just been using the Intel this whole time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't the integrated card be disabled in the bios like a desktop? I don't know much of anything about laptops but they shouldn't be that much different than a desktop.

If it's anything like it is on my current Macbook Pro (which it probably isn't, but I guess anything's worth a try), there might be something in the power settings. If it's set to using as little power as possible, particularly when not plugged into power, it might automatically revert back to the integrated graphics rather than the far superior graphics card.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Can't the integrated card be disabled in the bios like a desktop? I don't know much of anything about laptops but they shouldn't be that much different than a desktop.
    Should be able to specify in BIOS which card to force, meaning it should use the nvidia and not the intel (at all)

Quote Originally Posted by Primernova View Post
    Most laptops do not have a lot of BIOS options which you could change unlike a desktop where you can change just about anything... voltage, timings, clock speeds, etc. You can't change any of that stuff on most laptops.

Only thing I can think of you to try would be to play around with your active gaming power scheme. Make sure everything is set to high performance.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Okay... I've been tinkering around with it, and I can't access the BIOS. Lenovo is stupid, been googling for an hour but all I can access is the Boot Manager or whatever.

Anyway I was tinkering around with the NVIDIA control panel and saw http://i.imgur.com/1HRCx.png. When I select any of the games I have installed on the computer, it says that the preferred card is NVIDIA. But for some reason SW:TOR isn't on the list. So when I uncheck the box that says "Show only programs found on this computer" (which you can see in this screenshot http://i.imgur.com/SnTx1.png), I can get to SW:TOR.

I'm just worried now that the computer doesn't recognize TOR is on the list or something, I have no idea. I tried moving the folders around but I can't get SW:TOR on the list. Any ideas?

Edit: Opened Skyrim just now and saw this screenshot showing that it's using my Intel Graphics Adapter and it's not giving me the choice of the 555M. FFFUUUUUUUUUUUU What the hell... I'm so confused http://i.imgur.com/ZY0PU.jpg
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-02-16 at 12:17 PM.

Try opening your programs by right clicking the exe file and "Run with graphics processor > High-performance NVIDIA processor". If such an option doesn't exist in your right click menu, you can add it in Nvidia control panel at: Desktop > Add "Run with graphics processor" to Context Menu.

While assigning the preferred card to programs at Nvidia Control Panel doesnt work sometimes, this should guarantee that the program will always run with your nvidia gpu.

In the last screenshots you provided, I can see that you are running on battery power which is most likely the cause of your issue. Again, try to change your power scheme/options for both AC and battery power.

Control panel > hardware and sound > power options

Alternatively, you can click on the battery icon located at the bottom right of your taskbar and go from there.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Quote Originally Posted by Sur View Post
    Try opening your programs by right clicking the exe file and "Run with graphics processor > High-performance NVIDIA processor". If such an option doesn't exist in your right click menu, you can add it in Nvidia control panel at: Desktop > Add "Run with graphics processor" to Context Menu.

While assigning the preferred card to programs at Nvidia Control Panel doesnt work sometimes, this should guarantee that the program will always run with your nvidia gpu.
    I do have the option, but it's faded out. Why is it faded out? :/ http://i.imgur.com/RNHvZ.png

In the last screenshots you provided, I can see that you are running on battery power which is most likely the cause of your issue. Again, try to change your power scheme/options for both AC and battery power.

Control panel > hardware and sound > power options

Alternatively, you can click on the battery icon located at the bottom right of your taskbar and go from there.
    Yeah, I've got everything set on "High Performance". I usually am plugged in, right now I'm in a different spot though. And yeah it's still on "High Performance" while I'm plugged in. >.<

Did a quick search about the greyed out "run with graphics processor" option, and came across someone mentioning on a forum:

"I didn't know until digging thoroughly through the internets that the Y570 has a manual switch to turn on the nvidia gpu. It's in the lower right hand corner and you slide it over and hold it until the light comes on..."

maybe this would help you to enable your nvidia graphic card?

Yeah............... I just found that out now too. I feel like an idiot now, but I've got amazing fps in TOR/Skyrim now. Issue resolved thanks for the help guys!

I do not own that model of laptop, but i believe this is the button he's mentioning

i53.tinypic.com/2e3rc4m.jpg

edit: a bit late with the pic, but glad you solved it.

Deleted
    Fvck i love you!

10+ Year Old Account
    also, most laptops with this feature shut off usage of the nvidia gpu when using battery power, try plugging it in

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    also, most laptops with this feature shut off usage of the nvidia gpu when using battery power, try plugging it in
    I just create account to say "Thank u very much" to u

- - - Updated - - -

Thank u very much!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sur View Post
    Did a quick search about the greyed out "run with graphics processor" option, and came across someone mentioning on a forum:

"I didn't know until digging thoroughly through the internets that the Y570 has a manual switch to turn on the nvidia gpu. It's in the lower right hand corner and you slide it over and hold it until the light comes on..."

maybe this would help you to enable your nvidia graphic card?