Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

SWTORs playerbase seems to be very mature

Just realised recently after playing TOR for a few months and being involved in the forums now and dipping back into the wow forum and going back online in WoW to see old friends how much of a difference im noticing in the level of maturity of the people involved.

This isnt based on anything factual, just my personal observations but just reading through the forums and watching trade chat etc gives me this impression that there is a much friendlier and mature playerbase in TOR.

Trade seems to me much more friendly, especially to the new people. No ANAL spamming and the like that used to really annoy me.

Anyone else share this opinion?

oh forgot to mention spelling...in the wow forums and trade it seems the majority of people are seriously uneducated and really struggle to compose sentences and spell words properly but havent noticed the same degree of illiteracy in the TOR community
    Last edited by mmoc9b4f436173; 2012-02-17 at 01:11 PM.

Maybe more mature, but definitely not an ounce less cynical.

Deleted
    Guess i havent seen the Anal jokes, or the Chuck Norris ones.
    But i have seen many immature players around. not as much as in WoW though i guess i can agree on that.
    Can't really tell why, guess WoW is more likely to attract younger people as it has a much friendlier look. and is quite cartoony.

there are immature people everywhere. you don't see many terrible stuff in swtor compared to WoW because:
    - there are much less players
    - many of swtor players play the game either alone, basically treating it as kotor 3, or with friends.

wow got almost 10 times more players than swtor, so you're 10x more likely to find any kind of annoyance in the community
    same thing applies on Rift, which I've been playing, I never see unrelated spam on trade, and the Level 50 chat which is the whole level 50 community of the shard, rarely gets a troll

it's not a case of "average maturity" really, and discussing this while comparing to WoW won't end well tbh.
    Dear developers,

please nerf Rock, it's too overpowered. Paper is fine, however.
    Signed, Scissors.

Nah this is nonsense. The only reason behind this (if its really true and not subjective opinion) game is new and quite unpopular. If it will last as long as world of warcraft, there will be immature people like in all games. Also people grammar ignorance is showing that game is quite popular not just in single country. So bad news here I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    Nah this is nonsense. The only reason behind this (if its really true and not subjective opinion) game is new and quite unpopular. If it will last as long as world of warcraft, there will be immature people like in all games.Also people grammar ignorance is showing that game is quite popular not just in single country. So bad news here I think.
    Those who live in glass houses...

Deleted
    Give it some time, it won't be like that forever :P

<13y olds are not allowed in swtor, that's it. the best decision in mmos i've seen so far. though 18+ will do even better imo.

I have noticed it, but I don't think it'll last.

People are much nicer to start with, especially when everyone is new. It's ok to have newb questions, and people will be nice and answer them, but patience wears thin after you've been asked the same starter question 1000 times. I've seen a lot of very helpful people in WoW who started out nice, and grew into sarcastic jerks because they just ran out of patience and were tired of teaching people how to play all day.

Also, I think well established community create that elitism that people hate. People start to get really full of themselves if they know they're the top DPS or the MT in the top guild on the server.

SWTOR's community is definitely better than WoW's, but I can already see a lot of negatives beginning to seep through. And yes, I've already seen the ANAL spam jokes on the fleet's general chat.

Deleted
    I've met plenty of completely obnoxious people on it though. Guess that's the same as every aspect of life.

Quote Originally Posted by agracul View Post
    <13y olds are not allowed in swtor, that's it. the best decision in mmos i've seen so far. though 18+ will do even better imo.
    Do you think the idiots spamming anal in trade chat are all < 13 year olds? Hardly.

In any new MMO, people are friendly. Vanilla WoW is comparable to SWTOR, once some people get educated and others don't, that's when the trouble starts.

10+ Year Old Account
    I noticed this during beta. Some tor fans were immature and trolled the wow forums but that number was minuscule compared to the wow fans who trolled here. Also the restraint used here not to backlash at said trolls was impressive.
    If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant!

13yr olds are not allowed in WoW either, both games are rated the same, it's not a "decision".

but to be honest, I do believe 99% of the time, the kind of stuff OP was complaining is done by much older people.
    Dear developers,

please nerf Rock, it's too overpowered. Paper is fine, however.
    Signed, Scissors.

I love when I'm fighting a pack of enemies to get to an objective and people just run up and take it. I'm talking about crates and such that are scattered all around the area. Happens all the time. They simply don't care when asked. So nice
    Last edited by Krolikn; 2012-02-17 at 01:26 PM.

Deleted
    While I really like what I've seen so far of SWTOR, I must say I can't agree with your point of view, OP.
    I've left the chat channels because discussions were horribly retarded, I've been grouped with terrible players who couldn't spell correctly, and I continually see people with stupid jokes in their names / surnames, or with crappy guild names like Sith Happens.
    So now I don't group anymore, I leave all chat channels and I've turned off PC nameplates. Still, some retards can't take no for an answer when they ask me to join their guild.
    Though, I've been wondering if the situation is better in the Republic.

I found this to be true in general chats etc but not at all in groups I recently started playing and with the moral choice parts in groups I am playing empire due to friends playing that faction but I always have had a love for the republic (same as wow I prefer the alliance to the horde) when in a group I will always pick the moral option that I see fit sometimes bad some times good the ammount of flame I get after winning the roll with a good choice is beyond compare to anything iv seen in wow ever VERY offputting from the game now I assume the flame comes due to the must have X ammount of evil to use this item but either way its uncalled for and a massive shadow on the playerbase.
    "We are not in Azeroth anymore"
    *1 months later*
    "We are back in Azeroth"

I played SWTOR and I actually enjoyed it, just didn't find time to play it anymore.

So when I disagree with you, it's not anti-SWTOR fanboy hate, but the SWTOR playerbase ( at least on my server ) were equally as bad as the WoW playerbase, on my old server.

Tons of spam, racist jokes, "That's what she said" and the usual "This game is better than WoW" x 4 is pretty much what I saw day out and day in.

Quote Originally Posted by Krolikn View Post
    I love when I'm fighting a pack of enemies to get to an objective and people just run up and take it. I'm talking about crates and such that are scattered all around the area. Happens all the time. They simply don't care when asked. So nice
    Had that happen to me SO often. Pretty sure it's the Cross-Server LFG-tool's fault - like everything else.

... See what I did there?
    English isn't my first language. I'm still trying my best.

Wait what? Last time I checked 12 year olds can't pay for their own subscribtion, also you can play the game as a 10 year old, there is such a thing as not telling your actual age >.<, Welcome to the internet.