Thread: Graphics

Graphics

Just wondering if anyone else if having the same issue I am. The game works fine graphically on the settings I have it on, but when I go into an ancient temple or anywhere with smoke, I can basically hear my graphics card crying

Try turning down your ansiotropic filtering level, maximum of 4, but 2 might be better. Multisampling should be no higher than 2. If its already on 2, set it to 1 and test it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post
    The true measure of a person is how they act when they know they won't get caught.

15+ Year Old Account
    Turn your fans on your graphics card on manual speed setting and set them to a fixed 70-100%; whatever the highest amount of noise you can tolerate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shewkoi View Post
    Turn your fans on your graphics card on manual speed setting and set them to a fixed 70-100%; whatever the highest amount of noise you can tolerate.
    How much damage can that cause? For instance, my card, with everything on ultra top best level you can get at 1900 x 1200 windowed fullscreen runs between 85 - 92C and although the max is 105c, I think 92c is a bit warm (nearly 200 degrees F). But I worry what it'll do the fans if I run them around 75 - 78% (more than enough to make the card sit around 82c) for hours every day.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    But I worry what it'll do the fans if I run them around 75 - 78% (more than enough to make the card sit around 82c) for hours every day.
    The fans will die faster. Like anything in a computer it has a rated life span in hours. The average ball bearing fan will last 60,000 hours at 50c. With that in mind you can do the simple math and it should work out that you have a 61% gain in temperature lowering the life expectancy of the ball bearing fan to 36,600 hours.

I don't have my graphics cards overclocked any longer but when I did I set up profiles for my cards depending on what I was doing. Gaming I would keep a consistent 85% fan speed, while everything else sat at 35%. Let's me eek out a little more life than if I just ran the fans flat out several hours a day.

---------- Post added 2012-02-16 at 05:58 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vyndorin View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else if having the same issue I am. The game works fine graphically on the settings I have it on, but when I go into an ancient temple or anywhere with smoke, I can basically hear my graphics card crying
    Do these things:
    Post your PC system specifications, preferably with model #'s
    Dust out your PC using an aerosol can, make sure you get all the fans
    Update your graphics card driver
    Set your power options to High Performance in Windows
    Update Windows
    Virus scan (Use the guide in my sig if need be, its the shizzle)

With your system spec's I can provide more specific information.

There's no harm in running your fans higher (cheaper to replace fans than the entire card...) Also, some brands (EVGA for example) have tools that allow you to set the fans speeds based on temp.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much damage can that cause? For instance, my card, with everything on ultra top best level you can get at 1900 x 1200 windowed fullscreen runs between 85 - 92C and although the max is 105c, I think 92c is a bit warm (nearly 200 degrees F). But I worry what it'll do the fans if I run them around 75 - 78% (more than enough to make the card sit around 82c) for hours every day.
    Chips don't burn anymore.. They just shutdown nowadays.
    Running at 52C myself. And that's a lot for my card. Even Battlefield with much better picture wasn't hitting 50C. Something strange about this crapy graphics in SW.
    91 lvl Elit Alcoholic Ирез

10+ Year Old Account
    Mainly because game offers you 24/7 rendering. My GF 550Ti heats up to 82oC (on ultra)(for comparision: battlefield 3 - 77oC).

U'll improve by shitloads when you disable AA/shadows. Also It won't heat up as much (disabled these: got extra -6oC on my GPU).

Deleted
    i think they've messed up with the engine ...

without vsync my GPU load is always at 99% and the temp goes up to 75°C
    with vsync it's at 60% to 65% at max in warzones and raids, and i've everything on high/ultra ...

I'm running the game in fullscreen mode at the moment, since vsync is not available in window mode and I don't want my gpu to shutdown or overheat or whatever.
    I guess there's no console command to limit the framerate right now? I don't need 140 fps in an MMO on a 60 or 75 Hz screen...

15+ Year Old Account
    an electric motor running at a constant speed does less damage to itself than one that is constantly revving up and down and varying the speed all day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shewkoi View Post
    an electric motor running at a constant speed does less damage to itself than one that is constantly revving up and down and varying the speed all day.
    I can see that making some sense. I tried playing at 75% all night last night and I didn't notice the noise (I actually like white noise), and kept temperatures stable around 79 - 82C. I could probably hit 100% and go down to the 60's, but that's just a waste of power and fan life.

Anyone know of any specific settings that can be scaled down to reduce heat (and consumption)? I've tried AA and Antistropic Filtering, but it has no effect.