Page 1 of 3
LastLast

100 % Raid based MMO - I think it could work

Yeah so, a 100 % Raid based MMO, I think it could work and be pretty popular. I am totally about the raiding in wow and many others are as well. This thread will be about what would make a game like this work...not if it is a good or bad idea. I would like to hear some of your ideas/thoughts on it.

In a nutshell, there is no pvp at all. I would like to see levels and levelling but done totally different than go to Y and kill 20 of Z. Servers would need to be competitve and have a benefit of competitvness perhpas. What sort of vibe would a 100% raiding based mmo provide? Minus the elitism but I am sure there would be that too.

A game based on 100% raiding concept. Thoughts?

Deleted
    I would hate it, i like to do more than just raiding all night every night. Look at the demographic of most MMO's, Hardcore raiders are a very small minority, i doubt a game like you described would make a profit.

I do not think that would ever work out. imo you need a game that can offer more content then the current games offer now.

10+ Year Old Account
    That would be the single most boring MMO of all time. No game that comes out and offers less content than it's predecessors will ever succeed.

Yeah like i said in the original post, this thread will be about what would make a game like this work...not if it is a good or bad idea. It is for people who go on WoW just for the raiding aspect of the game itself. Sorry I have to repeat this but the flood of "it sucks' or "cant be done and would be boring" posts is not what this thread should be about.

I think a possible addition to a 100% raiding MMO would be introducing a catalyst of how important a guild would be and possibly some sort of levelling system that levels you while raiding. An idea only. Maybe a realm political system but different.

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 05:33 PM ----------

Ok and so far the people who hate it are posting in the thread. I think of the possibilities to a game like this and how it MAY work.

10+ Year Old Account
    The fact remains that people who immerse themselves in a fantasy or sci-fi world are going to want to be able to take their grievances to the battlefield with each other. That is not to say that everyone wants to, nor that everyone will - but removing the ability entirely is a terrible idea.

It's the heart and soul of every fantasy universe ever imagined, and you can't successfully strip away the immersion that comes with warring with another faction or race for control without sacrificing the structural integrity of the world you created.

If you're suggesting a game based around political intrigue and non-violent confrontations then you're suggesting a game that is singularly one-dimensioned in its scope and will fall flat. It could work for a single-player strategy game, but definitely not for an MMO.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2012-02-17 at 06:00 PM.

Isn't that what FFXI was?

Haven't these types of MMOs existed already?

Quote Originally Posted by Grogo View Post
    Yeah like i said in the original post, this thread will be about what would make a game like this work...
    Cancellation.

PvE-based game, but as PvP, I'd like some kind of Tournaments about twice a week to be activated, and best players would grant biggest yummy rewards. Form own team of max-leveled characters, and fight another. There is no separate PvP gear, no resilience and such sh*t things, skill and teamwork is the biggest point in the game.

Oh, and in PvP, not über super burst characters. Few races, few classes etc.

For example, I'd like classes be very unique. Separate support/healers, strong CCers, melee magic damage, melee physical damage, ranged magic damage and ranged physical damage. Oh and, no overpower tanks for PvP. All classes should have some of these benefits as minor powered, in addition with their main skills.
    Last edited by Ishimada; 2012-02-17 at 06:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmad View Post
    PvE-based game, but as PvP, I'd like some kind of Tournaments about twice a week to be activated, and best players would grant biggest yummy rewards. Form own team of max-leveled characters, and fight another. There is no separate PvP gear, no resilience and such sh*t things, skill and teamwork is the biggest point in the game.

Oh, and in PvP, not über super burst characters. Few races, few classes etc.
    Yeah, but that's not what the OP is suggesting at all - he's saying no PvP of any sort.

It's like the Fellowship of the Ring challenging the minions of Sauron to a pie-eating contest instead of butchering their way to the Black Gate.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Yeah, but that's not what the OP is suggesting at all - he's saying no PvP of any sort.

It's like the Fellowship of the Ring challenging the minions of Sauron to a pie-eating contest instead of butchering their way to the Black Gate.
    I know, but how many games work without PvP at all? MMOs I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    I lol'd hard at this image

Deleted
    My thought too, but that's what this thread is actually about.

Raiding alone isn't enough of a draw to keep people around. Heck, look at the statistics from WoW. Even post LFR there is huge number of people who either haven't cleared Dragon Soul or don't actively raid it every week. It would be somewhat similar to games like Vindictus/C9/Dragons Nest ect. that have pretty much ONLY dungeon content. Some people enjoy it, others get bored very quickly because they find it all to be too similar of a format.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I would hate it, i like to do more than just raiding all night every night. Look at the demographic of most MMO's, Hardcore raiders are a very small minority, i doubt a game like you described would make a profit.
    Sadly wow was better when bad kids were stuck in blues, now its a sad shell of what it once was. Harder games keep people playing because they arent done yet. Wow loses players that only come back to see if its good. At this point its a small amount of time before the games going to rollercoast downhill.

Vanilla : Very small @ first had to accomodate more and more players which meant more realms

The Burning crusade: Many new realms opened up for the ever increasing population

Wrath of the lich king: More servers yet needed, mid to end during all changes less people more realms getting low pop and new player tags

Cataclysm: Only special Portuguese realms opened up all low pop talk of closing servers in blue posts along with millions of players leaving

Mists: People resub for 2-3 months then quit again

The game needs to be challenging again regardless of what the base of young and or not so good players says. They played before they paid before they will continue to pay if they are not BORED.

Raiding with the pokemon battles thrown in, take my money.

I don't think it would work very well. When I still played WoW, I liked raiding and all, but after the first couple of runs I would get really bored of the content. If the game was just completely made up of raiding, what happens when people clear all of the content? With quests in traditional MMOs, there is potential for a good storyline that keeps you interested and keeps you going to finish the questline, but if the game were to just be raiding, it seems to me that all of the quests would be "Enter raid X. Kill raid boss Y." Because that's really all there is to raiding. There can be a storyline to raids, but I think it would be hard to really flesh it out into something that wouldn't become repetitive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well that was my point. All I wanted to point out was that the OP was suggesting a game without PvP at al. If you read my posts you'll see I completely agree that an MMO without any form of PvP at all cannot be commercially viable.

A 100% raid based MMO is not my cup of tea, I'm mostly a casual gamer these days.

Slighty off-topic though, I'd like to see an MMO that is 100% PvE (no PvP). No more nerfing PvE because of PvP, and the devs. can probably go more crazy and be creative with how the game plays & abilites.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance