Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs up Rift sets GUINNESS BOOK OF WORLD RECORDS for most in-game marriages in 24 hours!!

Congratulations to Trion Worlds Inc. and nice job to everyone who partook in the fun new feature! I'm proud to say I helped set this record and I hope to hear from fellow totally geeking out nerds! ;p

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/...s-in-24-hours/

From Gaz Deaves in London, England

Valentine's Day is a time when we're reminded of the power of love and the importance of commitment.

It's also, apparently, an opportunity to stock up on virtual loot as I found out when I was called upon to witness an attempt by the community managers at Massively multiplayer online role-playing game Rift to have as many of their players married in-game as possible in just 24 hours.

The attempt was organised in part to show off a new wedding system within the game which allow players to formalise their commitment to each other as well as bag some unique in-game stuff for taking their relationships to the next level.

The ceremony I bore witness to was overseen by one of the game's senior community managers and saw 17 happy couples tie the digital knot in a short and sweet procedure that was sealed, in an almost-traditional fashion: by typing the "/kiss" command into a text box.

After the mandatory snogging was over, it was on to the much more serious business of the group wedding reception, complete with music, mead and dancing.

Ceremonies like this took place throughout Rift's setting of Telara on Valentine's Day, with a total of 21,879 couples saying their special vows throughout the day.

Congratulations to the happy couples. May you have many years of health, happiness, and epic loot.
    Please don't troll this thread. -.- I will report you if you do. We don't need haters, this was a fun little event and I had fun, albeit marrying someone I had just met. (Was in a hurry to go to bed after a long day at college, so I had a Christmas-themed wedding!)

Here's a link to my album: http://imgur.com/a/CzWuE
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Is it in game roleplaying or irl + ingame weddings at the same time?
    seems a bit of harmless fun if the former, and cute if the latter

Deleted
    Not something Id do but gz I guess

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder what they would do if blizzard broke their record out of spite.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    I wonder what they would do if blizzard broke their record out of spite.
    Honestly I've thought about this, but Idk if I can honestly see Blizzard doing it, they know they could easily beat Trion, so I think it would be kind of just, rude?
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Yay, we made it =)
    Power to the rift players, making a little history =)
    Any sight of the titles yet?

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read about this a few days ago. quite a nice little event. gratz Trion

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    Yay, we made it =)
    Power to the rift players, making a little history =)
    Any sight of the titles yet?
    I think we get them next week at some point.
    "A flower.

I think that the most impressive thing about this event is that Trion put it together in just a couple of months - it was only brought up because the RPs asked for more ingame events. Pretty quick turnaround for such a flawless and well built event.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pocky_rin View Post
    Is it in game roleplaying or irl + ingame weddings at the same time?
    seems a bit of harmless fun if the former, and cute if the latter
    I personally married someone at random, didn't have time really to wait for a friend to get on or anything, but I know some IRL couples made their marriages official in-game as well.

---------- Post added 2012-02-17 at 05:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    I think that the most impressive thing about this event is that Trion put it together in just a couple of months - it was only brought up because the RPs asked for more ingame events. Pretty quick turnaround for such a flawless and well built event.
    Yeah I was a bit unsure if we'd make it or not, but it seems the playerbase is pretty damn dedicated!
    "A flower.

Cool deal. If Blizzard put this out as a feature in WoW it would be broken in minutes, though, unfortunately. Without asking the playerbase to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichimarunico View Post
    Cool deal. If Blizzard put this out as a feature in WoW it would be broken in minutes, though, unfortunately. Without asking the playerbase to.
    Why do you say that? Blizzards patch quality is usually of a superb standard, I am sure that if they did this it would be very well done. My post was more about how Trion responds to their playerbase, and how quickly they get things from concept to implemented.

Kind of funny how within minutes, this thread turned into an argument similar to "Well my dad can beat up your dad if he really wanted to!"

Just congratulate Rift or discuss the action, there was never a need to say anything about how WoW could potentially beat Rifts record.

Well if you release a brand new feature in a highly populated MMO game that not many other games have (or keep track of if they do), then obviously the first day it's going to boom. If you tell all your players to use it, and to use it with and for whoever just for the sake of getting numbers up...

Neat that they set a record. But like the "Most expensive free Starbucks drink ever!" record, everyone else is going to now realize it's a record and one-up them.
    I think the real problem isn't that, so much as it is in Guinness. Did anyone see their, I think it was, best video game endings list? It was topped by Resident Evil 4, and I think the top ten had a Sonic game in it. They lost credibility with me for that list.
    Last edited by A Challenger!; 2012-02-17 at 05:50 PM.

Well if you release a brand new feature in a highly populated MMO game that not many other games have (or keep track of if they do), then obviously the first day it's going to boom. If you tell all your players to use it, and to use it with and for whoever just for the sake of getting numbers up...

Neat that they set a record. But like the "Most expensive free Starbucks drink ever!" record, everyone else is going to now realize it's a record and one-up them.

Yes but Trion will always have been the first to set it. Really for Trion this was about headlines and publicity, but I feel it's publicity they deserve.

And sure, WoW or SWTOR could come along with their larger player bases and break this record, but to deliberately set out to do so would be a bit childish given that Blizzard have never indicated they intend to implement this sort of thing.

Pretty cool.

I kinda wonder how the events actually went.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Requiemcliff View Post
    Pretty cool.

I kinda wonder how the events actually went.
    They were actually pretty nice and well done. I was unable to fraps my wedding, however the person I was marrying just so happened to be frapsing it! :P So I'll link the video when it's up. They said they were going to do a lot of editing and get it nice. :P
    "A flower.

Deleted
    Phew looks like Trions record will be safe for 8-12 month then...

Its not the sort of thing that i would do but well done i say. Grats to all the happy couples!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Why do you say that? Blizzards patch quality is usually of a superb standard, I am sure that if they did this it would be very well done. My post was more about how Trion responds to their playerbase, and how quickly they get things from concept to implemented.
    I think he meant the record would be broken, not the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Moomurr View Post
    Phew looks like Trions record will be safe for 8-12 month then...
    ZING!

Such a cute little feature. Reasons to come back to the game keep piling up!