Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

how to beat mages as a rogue?

Quote Originally Posted by Zansheb View Post
    Do slightly more damage than the amount of health they have.

Heh sorry, Aligning your cooldowns and anticipating his is really the only way to beat a decent mage.

Anticipate his blink, recup on iceblock ( should be up anyways) and re stealth on iceblock if possible to get another opener.

I have had the most luck just saving my vanish and my trinkets untill I can burst him hard after he/she gets out of iceblock
    Last edited by Kasmein; 2012-02-18 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Mis-spelled a bunch of crap

Deleted
    by adhering to some rules

open with silence, reapply whenever you go stealth or use sd, but mind DR

use clos/smoke in advance to mage CC spells

and, maybe the most important part...do not stun until it uses blink.

mages are not that big a problem as most melees make them, at least not for a rogue. lookin forward to mage whining in MoP when we'll be effectively immune to roots and snares ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much what these two have said.

Don't open with your big cooldowns, because one nova + blink and Dance is wasted, keep track of possible mage cooldowns, and match them with yours, and it should be no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

A good way to open on a mage is to sap pool your energy than garrote but make sure you don't auto attack him or you'll break stealth than use cheap shot this will allow an opener that allows you to do free dmg on him while he is unable to blink. I also see rogues that that do this usually like popping their Sdance early either forcing a early block or for them to just eat the dance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dont use shadowstep or stun until he use blink, and also when you go with burst on mage be sure he can't block or cc you!

As someone who spends 80% of his time in Warcraft dueling outside of Ogrimmar it always cracks me up to see these Rogues who claim that beating a Mage is "easy."

I wonder why there are so many Forum Heroes, and yet I've never seen one of these Rogues in-game.

Opening with Silence is a cute idea, but enjoy getting rooted by his pet while the Mage calmly steps away with blink still at his disposal.

You would be better off cheap shotting, forcing the mage to blink, popping Cloak of Shadows to get out of pet root then shadow stepping to the mage. Hopefully he isn't a Goblin or he will just Rocket Jump away and continue to face roll you. If not, the mage will likely ice block and continue to own you because you weren't able to restealth with his pet free casting on you. So basically you will always lose unless:

-The Mage sucks.
    -You significantly out gear the Mage.

This is coming from someone who plays both a Rogue and a Mage competitively. Rogues don't beat Mages 1v1.
    Last edited by Jersovic; 2012-02-19 at 03:57 PM.

Opening with Silence is a cute idea, but enjoy getting rooted by his pet while the Mage calmly steps away with blink still at his disposal.

You would be better off cheap shotting, forcing the mage to blink, popping Cloak of Shadows to get out of pet root then shadow stepping to the mage.
    And your idea is better than opening with Silence and CloS the pet root anyway because? You'd still have ShS up and you wont have just DR'd KS for if he does blink.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    And your idea is better than opening with Silence and CloS the pet root anyway because? You'd still have ShS up and you wont have just DR'd KS for if he does blink.
    He'll ice block that kidney so DR wont matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Cetlysm View Post
    He'll ice block that kidney so DR wont matter.
    HI ZET IT'S DILLARD
    but on topic, mages don't lose to rogues in a duel unless they're bad or don't use all their cds.

Deleted
    Lol at some ppls comments "mages don't lose to rogues"

When i play my Rogue i always make a beeline for the nearest mage or lock.

Tbf i have many 85s so know mages/locks inside out. Once you figure out when to time ur abilities they just provide you with nice kill stats

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    As someone who spends 80% of his time in Warcraft dueling outside of Ogrimmar it always cracks me up to see these Rogues who claim that beating a Mage is "easy."

I wonder why there are so many Forum Heroes, and yet I've never seen one of these Rogues in-game.

You would be better off cheap shotting, forcing the mage to blink, popping Cloak of Shadows to get out of pet root then shadow stepping to the mage. Hopefully he isn't a Goblin or he will just Rocket Jump away and continue to face roll you. If not, the mage will likely ice block and continue to own you because you weren't able to restealth with his pet free casting on you. So basically you will always lose unless:

-The Mage sucks.
    -You significantly out gear the Mage.

This is coming from someone who plays both a Rogue and a Mage competitively. Rogues don't beat Mages 1v1.
    You just follow up your glyphed garrote with full kindey,i dont see point of just staying rooted while we walks away with silence on him -.-

Btw i would never use cloak so early but i see wheres your point.

OT: Worst class to duel as rogue by FAR,i dont whine on anything but FotM cant be spelled without FM...

Anyhow,sap and open with garrote without breaking sap,full kindey is proper opener.Use Gouge alot,dont use Shadowstep unless he blinks,smoke bomb and range attacks whenever you are at range.If you dont use cloak before his IB you are winning.

Other way is to sap mage,CS pet,redirect to mage,Shadow dance,garotte>ambush spam,cover blink with Shadowstep>Full kindey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoogles
    Thread: F**k y*u blizzard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Skullcrack View Post
    Flavor of the month spec swappers have turned out to be worse on average than players that specialize in one spec.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I tend to open with garrote, hemo and then drop everything into damage just to try and scare them into using cds. Using recup early on it a waste imo, a mage can kill you through it and you'll be kited early in the fight anyway. Usually get recup up later using combo points from bleed crits.

Other than that, I don't really have a pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Zansheb View Post
    Make good use cloak

Other than that load up bleeds, gtfo whlie ice bubble pops then i like to shadow step in for big dmg.

You can watch for blink all you want, but its on a 15 sec cd so unless you are on him like white on rice right after the blink its pretty much just always going to be a counter to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoever said to open with garrote... just no. It's a terrible opener. Even more so when combined with sap and kidney/cs.
    You DR everything you got that way, aka.. very bad.

You should open with CS or with ambush gouge. Without the use of sap.

Why?

Because that way you keep your options open, and gain an early advantage in control.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    Whoever said to open with garrote... just no. It's a terrible opener. Even more so when combined with sap and kidney/cs.
    You DR everything you got that way, aka.. very bad.

You should open with CS or with ambush gouge. Without the use of sap.

Why?

Because that way you keep your options open, and gain an early advantage in control.
    Ok when you do garrote+KS you have used silence and stun DR,while you will put mage on ~60% hp,i dont see point of just CS or even ambush gouge,cause you will need to burn Vanish so fast or even worse cloak+sprint/shadowstep while mage is not under 90% of hp.
    Flavor of the month spec swappers have turned out to be worse on average than players that specialize in one spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by necemoci View Post
    Ok when you do garrote+KS you have used silence and stun DR,while you will put mage on ~60% hp,i dont see point of just CS or even ambush gouge,cause you will need to burn Vanish so fast or even worse cloak+sprint/shadowstep while mage is not under 90% of hp.
    If you don't use sap before the garrote and still manage to land the KS in melee range you need to find better mages to duel. They should jumpnova you out of range.

Mage will trinket your opener, what do you do now?
    Nothing really, game over.

Burning vanish to cancel nova early in mage duels is normal. And a good strategy.
    Sure as hell better then wasting all DR's at once ending up with nothing.

CS opener is a strategy that has personally proven to work for me on the best mages on this realm.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post
    If you don't use sap before the garrote and still manage to land the KS in melee range you need to find better mages to duel. They should jumpnova you out of range.

Mage will trinket your opener, what do you do now?
    Nothing really, game over.

Burning vanish to cancel nova early in mage duels is normal. And a good strategy.
    Sure as hell better then wasting all DR's at once ending up with nothing.

CS opener is a strategy that has personally proven to work for me on the best mages on this realm.
    He canT jump nova me cause he is still in sap while garroted,followed by KS,only thing that happens is pet nova but im still on mages back,he trinkets i blind and he either w8 it of/i restealth or IB it i plain vanish.
    Last edited by necemoci; 2012-02-20 at 11:42 AM. Reason: important T

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by necemoci View Post
    He canT jump nova me cause he is still in sap while garroted,followed by KS,only thing that happens is pet nova but im still on mages back,he trinkets i blind and he either w8 it of/i restealth or IB it i plain vanish.
    Ok, so lets go like this:

You open with Sap > Garrote > KS. Putting on every single DR you have.
    The mage trinkets and pops mirrors > You blind him. Woops mirrors keep you in combat. Blind is useless as everything is still on DR when it ends.

You open with Sap > Garrote > KS. Again putting on every single DR you have.
    The mage trinkets and pops images. You vanish. GG, you wasted your only way to escape a nova without clos on nothing and the mage is still full hp while DR's are on.

Now my opener:

Open with CS > Mage petnovas and blinks > I vanish and shs garrote > Mage does ????????? Nothing. Petnova is on cooldown and mage is silenced. Mage is harmless for 5 seconds.

Open with CS > Mage sits CS > once he gets out he magenova's me which gets followed by a DF the very GCD after that.
    WRONG. I smokebombed it. Too bad.

Get it now?

So when he mirrors you cant just vanish that?Since in your play i see you vanish nova...w8 15 sec for DRs to come off or just sit mirrors to full and reopen.Problem?