Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Retri pvp this season mastery or critc?

Hey everyone just wanna make sure i know how good mastery for us as retri both in pvp and pve but in this season I'm more leinent (can't remember how to spell this word) about critc. Here this is my armory.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Velshin/simple

As you can see I have full cata gears but what do you think better to reforge all of my gears for critc? or keep it like this for mastery well i'm not talking baout specific setup or combo like rogue, ret, and hunter yes critc is better because of the rogue passive critc buff but I mean in general this season what is better? thanks in advance and thanks for reading.

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't really bother to look up your armory so I'm not going to critique your gear.

What I can tell you without a doubt is go for crit rating.

Why you may ask is it better then mastery when mastery provides more reliable burst ? Ill tell you why.

It's because when taken with the holy talent last word & the ret talent selfless healer you will be capable of insanely powerful off heals & get a really powerful survivability boost when sacred shield pops.
    It works because when stacking crit (as a secondary resource after strength of course) ^ taking the talent last word you can almost attain 100% critical strike chance for WOG when casting it on targets below 35% health which when combined with critical heals doing double makes your heals a game changer if timed properly.

Wish you good luck & all the best against all the offensive dispellers, kiters etc... out there, you will need it.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Deleted
    mastery -> greater overall damg

crit -> rng based burst damg.

i would stil value mastery better as geting a crit when u don't need one and none when you do will effect your ability to kil instead of masterys -> causing more heal pressure from hiting harder every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    mastery -> greater overall damg

crit -> rng based burst damg.

i would stil value mastery better as geting a crit when u don't need one and none when you do will effect your ability to kil instead of masterys -> causing more heal pressure from hiting harder every time.
    You're forgetting that crit also helps when you're not in melee range of your target and it helps your heals.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Crit seems the way to go this season because Mastery affects only 2 spells and crit has the advantage to help with some Crit heals from WoG
    Last edited by dragons; 2012-02-19 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    Didn't really bother to look up your armory so I'm not going to critique your gear.

What I can tell you without a doubt is go for crit rating.

Why you may ask is it better then mastery when mastery provides more reliable burst ? Ill tell you why.

It's because when taken with the holy talent last word & the ret talent selfless healer you will be capable of insanely powerful off heals & get a really powerful survivability boost when sacred shield pops.
    It works because when stacking crit (as a secondary resource after strength of course) ^ taking the talent last word you can almost attain 100% critical strike chance for WOG when casting it on targets below 35% health which when combined with critical heals doing double makes your heals a game changer if timed properly.

Wish you good luck & all the best against all the offensive dispellers, kiters etc... out there, you will need it.
    Pretty much this, zcks summed it up good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninji
    "lets loose quik" is the only alliance pride I am aware of

it honestly comes down to what your comp is in arena and what you are facing, but for the most part, crit/last word is better in most scenarios. good burst damage and really good heals if you crit.

unless you have a class that keeps your targets stunlocked and in-place so they cant run away, mastery isnt as useful as crit.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're both good. Do you want more pressure and higher burst with CDs going, or do you want to see more huge WoG crits? Personally I prefer mastery, as I felt crit didn't help WoG in any noticeable way.

I would only ever consider Mastery if I was running a triple DPS comp where your only goal is to train a target.

Quote Originally Posted by Rec View Post
    They're both good. Do you want more pressure and higher burst with CDs going, or do you want to see more huge WoG crits? Personally I prefer mastery, as I felt crit didn't help WoG in any noticeable way.
    Yeah because crit doesn't affect your attacks or anything...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    Yeah because crit doesn't affect your attacks or anything...
    It doesn't affect it as much as mastery does.

Crit is the new way to go i think.

Last season was also all about crit hasn't really changed lately.

jimos goes for crit, seems to be a safe bet copy him

Deleted
    Go for critical rating, you'll love 70-100k(even more with cooldowns popped) WoG crits on your partners, and they will love it aswell.

Quote Originally Posted by TIMTIMf3 View Post
    Go for critical rating, you'll love 70-100k(even more with cooldowns popped) WoG crits on your partners, and they will love it aswell.
    should be speccing last word anyway. The 4% or so you get from reforging is very little compared to the 60% there

TBH mastery would still be the way to go since it effects nearly all of your damage in terms of raw output and pressure/burst/consistency. For last word spec ret, going all crit, yes your WoG has around 90% chance to crit on targets below 35% but it really only benefits that spell to the full extent.

Now going all mastery w/o trinket buffs you can get to around 55% extra damage as holy for your main 2 attacks. Not only that, but your WoG still has around 80%+ to crit on targets 35% health.

Keep in mind that inquisition does NOT increase the damage of templars verdict and crusader strike by a straight 30%. Its 30% added to whatever your masters is at its present state. Example: If you do 40% extra damage as holy damage and pop inquisition, then you do a total of 52% more damage as holy damage. not 70%

Hammer of wrath is still increased to full extent because its a holy ability.

In other words, mastery will scale higher than crit at higher percentages.

Mastery.

Edit: Nvm. He gotta be trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Divinator View Post
    TBH mastery would still be the way to go since it effects nearly all of your damage in terms of raw output and pressure/burst/consistency. For last word spec ret, going all crit, yes your WoG has around 90% chance to crit on targets below 35% but it really only benefits that spell to the full extent.

Now going all mastery w/o trinket buffs you can get to around 55% extra damage as holy for your main 2 attacks. Not only that, but your WoG still has around 80%+ to crit on targets 35% health.
    Not sure where you're pulling those numbers from. In full PvE gear I'm nowhere near 50% mastery.

90% chance to crit? That means 30% crit before Last Word. My hunter in full PvE agility gear has 30%. My paladin has less than 10%.

"Nearly all damage"? Mastery only affects TV and CS. Crit affects everything including WoG. The second half of the post has zero to do with mastery at all.

EDIT: Yeah, probably trolling. Other posts show him as a paladin hater. >.<
    Last edited by Fhi; 2012-03-04 at 04:33 AM.

i can get barely above 30% mastery in pvp gear fully reforged to it.

You have to remember that a critical TV or crusader strike is going to make your hand of light bigger as well

also people forget rule of law, further increasing your wog crit by 15% so it's base 75% on targets at or lower than 35% hp and paladins have around 15% spell crit in BiS gear (2pc t13 hc) and reforged to crit