Thread: Fire PvP advice

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Fire PvP advice

I recently decided to put away my rogue, switch my mage from frost to fire, and try something a little more challenging... well, it's hard. I mean every once in a while I do crazy damage and people go boom but usually they're just hotting through my scorches.

What rotation do you start with as fire assuming that your target is standing still and you happen to be in a best case scenario?

I've just been scorching and using what ever lights up, then combusting. Do you use fireball? The cast time is so long I can't see much of a point to using it in PvP.

Thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    I usually start out with invis in a duel, freeze them with frost nova as the opener. Then use scorch and fireblast to get pyro proc, then CoC, pop trinket, and crit with pyro -> then combustion then I dragons breath into a ring of frost.

But there are so much things you can as a fire mage, you can hardcast many spells if you ring them or DB them.
    • Support Main
    • Rank 1 Hero League
    • 1st Wave Alpha player
    • 6K+ Games played

Bloodsail Admiral Transmigration's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks I'll give that a shot

As Flawlesser mentioned making good use of your control spells is vital. Scorch spamming is definitely a lot of what you'll be doing, fishing for pyro procs. Obviously keep living bomb up and just look for a good opportunity to combust. When you do try and make sure the healer can't dispel it, I normally silence them as well as chain cc.

Sometimes I'll cast a fireball after an impact proc just because I'm likely to get it off. But really the more I play fire pvp the more I understand it's just a matter of learning how to use all of the abilities of your arsenal, and then using them at the right times. There's no set rotation.

In bg's I rarely use fireball simply because scorch has no animation tracer so many times you can sit back unnoticed and fish for procs. By the time you proc a pyro, combust and spread with ignite, it's too late The better players will start coming after you, that's where cc and mobility come in. The amount of control fire has is underrated imo, imp CoC, Impact, frost nova, ring of frost, poly, dragon's breath, blast wave for slows, you have almost everything frost has and more mobility to boot.
    Last edited by rokk; 2012-02-20 at 08:25 PM.

A nice thing I like to do is use Scorch+Fireblast on frozen targets (assuming specced into Shatter) to force Hot Streak proccs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ9UXQJE24Y
    Skip to 2:15 if you just want to see an example of how to do it from Cartoonz, but it's a nice vid.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2012-02-20 at 08:25 PM.

I always keep living bomb up, shatter when ever possible for 100% sure hotstreak procs. hardcast pyroblast during dragonsbreath.

If im doing rated bgs i basically do the same but also aim to spread combustion. (2600 rbgs). Also if you get a hotsreak proc try to get a nova for a 100% crit there as well into combustion. Gives you some really awesome burst.