Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Date with an online girl :)

So I decided to try online and I met a lovely girl. We've exchanged pictures and about a terabyte's worth of text messages, and we're meeting today Anyone have any tips? I'm not clueless about dating but I usually meet girls in real life and go from there, this is my first online thing

And no naysayers, she's not a man and she looks lovely

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, as this has been asked a thousand times (About all kind of dates), I'll give the most common (isn't it) answer: Be yourself.

And as many says: A MMO fansite might NOT be the place you want tips
    Making your GIF Avatar to 20kb is hard. Especially when the original is 504kb

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope you know self defense, or how to change everything when she turns out to be a cyber stalker.

"Lovely" woman + meets guys on internet = clear and present problems.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Getting to know somebody for the sake of getting to know them makes for pretty stale conversations.

I suppose the trick is to plan the activities for the date correctly.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Eh go at it the same way you would with a girl you've met in person. Just try not to be a massive dork or piss off their friends/family.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas 45 View Post
    Well, as this has been asked a thousand times (About all kind of dates), I'll give the most common (isn't it) answer: Be yourself.

And as many says: A MMO fansite might NOT be the place you want tips
    This pretty much sums it up, no offense. No advice you get on a forum will help you with dating. If you can be yourself (hopefully you were online) then no advice or input from others is necessary. If you think you have to be different than what comes naturally, then it is doomed to fail regardless. And about the meeting online thing, it changes nothing. If anything that can actually make it easier to get to know each other enough to feel comfortable when you finally meet. No jitters online. But anyway, enjoy.

This is how every situation on "To Catch a Predator" begins...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Or in the case of my wife and me who met online: 10+years of marriage, 2 kids and lot's of love.

To the OP: As said before, be yourself, enjoy yourself and just like normal dating something might happen or nothing might happen.
    "Reality: The refuge of those who fail in RPGs"
    ~Though this be madness, yet there is method in't~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    I hope you know self defense, or how to change everything when she turns out to be a cyber stalker.

Maybe she just has a lack of opportunities to meet people? I know a few perfectly healthy, sane, pretty girls that have met guys on the internet because they don't like picking up people at bars, they don't have any eligible friends/workmates and just want to put themselves out there.

What Country are you from?
    Fentooooooooooooooooooooooon!!!!!!!!

ohh jeez this won't end well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunchy View Post
    ohh jeez this won't end well.
    Why so negative? Just because they met online doesn't mean their relationship will fail.

I met my (now) ex-boyfriend online. Coincidentally we lived really close and decided to meet after having spent a whole summer emailing. Sure, in the end we did break up but we were together happily for 5 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    a little booze is the social lubricant, invite her out for a drink... I have abused a couple dating sites around my area, they are pretty amazing for easy hookups.

All right folks thanks for the input

I would skype first

Deleted
    Almost never works out well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob D View Post
    Or in the case of my wife and me who met online: 10+years of marriage, 2 kids and lot's of love.

To the OP: As said before, be yourself, enjoy yourself and just like normal dating something might happen or nothing might happen.
    What this guy said. I met my husband on WoW maybe a year after it launched and we just got married last year. The internet is the new "bar" to pick up chicks.

10+ Year Old Account
    One piece of advice is don't get your hopes up.
    Yes it is possible that she looks like her picture but that is highly unlikely, to quote every comedy or slightly humorous show ever where there has been an online date "they never look like their picture"

Picture is probably from the perfect angle and may have some air brush going on etc, other than that treat it the same as any other date except don't leave your drink alone with her......

WTF is wrong with people answering negatively? I met a few girls online and only had good experiences. I met my current GF in an online dating site as well.

The only advice I could give you is to take the pictures with a grain of salt... Most people will take their best looking pictures to put on these sites. So if you think she's really pretty, expect her to be slightly less than what you expect. Besides that, just be yourself... unlike normal dating, you've had time to exchange a LOT of information so it'll probably feel like you know the person already, use that to your advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ElvenArcher View Post
    So I decided to try online and I met a lovely girl. We've exchanged pictures and about a terabyte's worth of text messages, and we're meeting today Anyone have any tips? I'm not clueless about dating but I usually meet girls in real life and go from there, this is my first online thing

And no naysayers, she's not a man and she looks lovely
    Be yourself, you probably already know a lot about each other, just have fun.