15+ Year Old Account

Trinkets, 2 set and you. (PvP)

Alright guys, so I see a lot of Rogues using various types of gear. Whether it's full PvP gear, PvE legs, PvE trinkets, or 2 set PvE (usually shoulders + legs) and PvE trinket (s)

PvE Legs / Shoulders: Has anyone done the maths? How many extra ambushes do you gain from using PvE 2set? Would it be worth it?

PvE Trinket: Considering you are human, which trinket are you using together with Badge of Conquest? Wrath of Unchaining? Or do you still hold on to your Vial, or even the compass (which gives approx 45 energy regen over 20 sec)

Weapons: are you using t2 PvP vs Dreamer / Sleeper (PvE weapons have more max damage, even with the lower Ilvl which equals better backstab /ambush crits), or if you're at the lower stage t1 PvP vs Fear / Vengeance

Resilience: And last but not least, how much resilience do you think is the least we can wear, before it's actually gimping us more than it's buffing us?

Would be awesome to get your comment whether it's facts, or just your opinion. I myself is currently running with Wrath of the Unchaining, Sleeper / dreamer, and 2 set PvE. which gets me at 3.5k ish resilience. I've tried all combinations, but I can't seem to find out which one is actually working best. I've inspected a lot of high rated rogues, yet I can't seem to find the answer of which is better than what. It probably comes down to setups and such.

But anyway, what is your opinion?

I don't know the math on it, but I use the 2set it on my Rogue and I'm never going back.

Tricks to my partner/someone close in a BG, Smokebomb/Kidney, Dance, easy win. I've solo-taken out so many people alone it's unbelievable. I've killed fully-geared Flag Carriers with ease.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea im using 2 set as well. However it kind of sucks that it's not possible to use it when you are in 1v1 fights. Say your partner(s) die before you. Then it's utterly useless.. I think it's pretty horrible designed by blizzard, yet an awesome buff. But I agree it feels like I can do so much more, but knowing the exact maths would help a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooh View Post
    I think it's pretty horrible designed by blizzard, yet an awesome buff.
    Yeah PvE 2 set is a horrible design for PvP. Go Figure.

OT: I'm using full PvP atm, been planning on trying 2 set but just well... haven;t :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaja View Post
    1v1 situations is not the only time in game that you are actually alone. Every other class in the game has their 2 set bonuses functioning while questing, and generally soloing stuff. I'm not saying they should change it for PvP reasons, but it's generally really annoying that you need another player for the 2 set to be functional.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaja View Post

OT: I'm using full PvP atm, been planning on trying 2 set but just well... haven;t :P
    Pretty sure there are enough 1 on 1 situations in PvE where both "TotT-bonuses" sucked.
    Last edited by Pope; 2012-02-20 at 03:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Genganger View Post
    Often I just open the fridge instead of turning the lights on in the kitchen. I like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I promised myself not to. Even if that means i would be "gimping" myself.

I don't want to end up playing poorly because i got used to some fucked up OP PvE item setbonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Holo View Post

I don't want to end up playing poorly because i got used to some fucked up OP PvE item setbonus.
    You're right, I probably shouldn't use it myself... I mean 28(iirc) Energy Ambushes? It feels like you gain more energy than you use even while mashing Ambush. I'll be sad when I stop using it.

By playing "poorly", do you mean using a cooldown that you're supposed to use during burst situations anyway?

Back on topic: I was somewhat surprised to find that using the normal PvE 2-set (legs/shoulders) is actually around ~70 agility loss compared to using the 403 equivalent PvP pieces. Also worth noting is losing 10 max energy by not having a PvP 4-set. With that said, the 20% bonus is applied before static energy reductions, as you sort of mentioned, and is just too damn powerful to not use.

My ideal setup would be heroic PvE helm/legs, legendaries, heroic vial. That puts you a little over 3500 resil, I believe; if you want to get a little more sturdy, either go into improved recup or gem agility/resil in reds. I wouldn't go for more than 4k resil though... almost no one targets rogues in arenas because of an unkillable perception, despite survivability nerfs over the last 3 patches.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girthbrooks View Post
    By playing "poorly", do you mean using a cooldown that you're supposed to use during burst situations anyway?
    Nice try to a personal assault for no reason?

Anyways, nah. By playing poorly i mean overestimating my capabilities which i wouldn't have without it.

Nice try to a personal assault for no reason?

Anyways, nah. By playing poorly i mean overestimating my capabilities which i wouldn't have without it.
    It's funny that you assumed I was picking on just you; must have known it was shitty advice, which you routinely give on these forums. That's a personal assault.

Regardless, I still don't understand what you mean about "over estimating" your capabilities without it. You coordinate burst around tricks of the trade, so it's a sunk cost anyway, in terms of energy and GCDs. You put as much damage into your opponent as you can in that window with your partner(s), and you either have the capability to kill the guy or you don't. There's no estimation there. You don't say "Well I can only get in 3 ambushes cause I'm not wearing 2 set". All the estimation (planning) is done prior to the point of tricks/kidney/bomb/dance.

Just because you sit on some moral high ground about not using pieces of gear available to everyone doesn't make you a better player. There are plenty of PvE 2-sets in the game that are crazy powerful right now, namely ret pallies and hunters, and I don't see any of them avoiding using them given the opportunity.

Deleted
    Heroic Vial, Oranges, 2 Set PvE leaves you at 3.3k'ish Resi.

No thanks.

Altho, i've tried it myself (No oranges or Vial so double resi trinket) on some BG's and it's absolutely amazing. For BG's, go for it. For serious arena, i wouldnt want to.
    Last edited by mmoc15e0055365; 2012-02-21 at 05:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Girthbrooks View Post
    Just because you sit on some moral high ground about not using pieces of gear available to everyone doesn't make you a better player. There are plenty of PvE 2-sets in the game that are crazy powerful right now, namely ret pallies and hunters, and I don't see any of them avoiding using them given the opportunity.
    I never suggested so. I just don't want to use those pieces of gear.

Why are you making such an issue out of it anyway? I never forbid anyone to use them. I just don't feel like.

Quote Originally Posted by X3non View Post
    Heroic Vial, Oranges, 2 Set PvE leaves you at 3.3k'ish Resi.

No thanks.

Altho, i've tried it myself (No oranges or Vial so double resi trinket) on some BG's and it's absolutely amazing. For BG's, go for it. For serious arena, i wouldnt want to.
    It leaves you right around 3550 if you have full 403's and use +25 agility/resil in the two yellow sockets.

You have it backwards imo. In BG's you get randomly derped upon, in arena you are almost never going to be the target and, if you are, you have a lot of ways to punish them for it.

Well, I stopped feeling squishy at around 3.6-3.7k resilience, but I prefer to hang around 4.1-4.2k where possible - though I do run arena with another rogue, so we rarely feel like we need extra burst.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh