Xbox 360 + MS Kinect

My wife surprised me this weekend by urging me to look into the 360 and Kinect. She wants to entertain friends with dance and party games. She was originally thinking the Wii but I am veering her towards the 360 now that she really wishes to get an entertainment system for get-togethers (We have a PS3 but we mostly use it for Netflix and single player games for myself).

My concern is buying the 360 and Kinect and finding out that a new system is being released in 3 months. So, for you guys that keep up with consoles, should I go ahead and buy the whole system now? Or will there be new releases of the system shortly? Should I wait a few months? Maybe until next year? Or perhaps get a Wii and hold until a new Microsoft system comes out?

What are your thoughts?
    I'm still thinking about it...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Even if new systems were released it would be a while before peripherals like the Kinect are developed for it. I don't think new systems are due for a while, though. The Wii is cheaper, though not if you consider buying 3 additional controllers whereas the Kinect is kind of an "all in one" controller.

As a personal opinion, the Wii is boring and gimmicky, and the quality of games is lacking, but I am a pretty hardcore gamer. The Kinect seemed "fun" when i saw it (and played it) at a friends house. We had enjoyed playing a few of the games on there from time to time but have not in a while as with all things it gets old after a bit. I think the Kinect will be more intuitive and 'neat' if you have mostly 'non gamers' over.

Quote Originally Posted by Illuwin View Post
    Even if new systems were released it would be a while before peripherals like the Kinect are developed for it. I don't think new systems are due for a while, though. The Wii is cheaper, though not if you consider buying 3 additional controllers whereas the Kinect is kind of an "all in one" controller.

As a personal opinion, the Wii is boring and gimmicky, and the quality of games is lacking, but I am a pretty hardcore gamer. The Kinect seemed "fun" when i saw it (and played it) at a friends house. We had enjoyed playing a few of the games on there from time to time but have not in a while as with all things it gets old after a bit. I think the Kinect will be more intuitive and 'neat' if you have mostly 'non gamers' over.
    Most of our guests are non-gamers. The ones that are have PCs (like myself). And, yes, one of the things that helped me change her mind was the lack of a controller. As someone who does not play games a controller would probably feel awkward in-hand as they move around wildly.
    I'm still thinking about it...

My concern is buying the 360 and Kinect and finding out that a new system is being released in 3 months. So, for you guys that keep up with consoles, should I go ahead and buy the whole system now? Or will there be new releases of the system shortly? Should I wait a few months? Maybe until next year? Or perhaps get a Wii and hold until a new Microsoft system comes out?
    There isnt going to be a new system in under 3 months, Rumors from Manufactures that are making the parts for the new xbox say late this year, so you still have a good amount of time. You wont be disapointed. Plus with the xbox when you have your bros over instead of dancing around you guys can throw down on some halo or COD.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Kinect is the biggest bag of crap ever. Sure, it's fine if you don't mind playing mini game collections that are just a clone of Wii Sports. Typical of Microsoft to try and rip off Nintendo, and they don't even have any big name titles using Kinect. Also, jumping around while playing games looks absolutely silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Kinect is the biggest bag of crap ever. Sure, it's fine if you don't mind playing mini game collections that are just a clone of Wii Sports. Typical of Microsoft to try and rip off Nintendo, and they don't even have any big name titles using Kinect. Also, jumping around while playing games looks absolutely silly.
    While yes they did try and rip off nintendo, Kinect is the better of the 3 systems motion controlls, not only is it more advanced but allows for far more range of movement and applications than that of the PS Move and the Wii Mote. And they dont have big name titles using the kinect becuase we dont want them to. I dont want to have to use it to play COD or other games.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    While yes they did try and rip off nintendo, Kinect is the better of the 3 systems motion controlls, not only is it more advanced but allows for far more range of movement and applications than that of the PS Move and the Wii Mote. And they dont have big name titles using the kinect becuase we dont want them to. I dont want to have to use it to play COD or other games.
    No, it really isn't. I have used all three, and not only is the Kinect camera horribly lousy for anything other then primitive motions, but it's a waste of money to make something designed for mini game collections and isn't used for anything else. I seem to recall Microsoft executives saying it was the future of gaming and that the possibilities are endless, yet I can see few actual uses for it and even fewer companies bothering to use it.

If Microsoft didn't want it to be used for a game like COD or something, they wouldn't have made it. Hell, even Resistance uses the Move controller for aiming, and the Wii has more then a few games to make use of it. Kinect is crap and a failure from a development standpoint, developers won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

No, it really isn't. I have used all three, and not only is the Kinect camera horribly lousy for anything other then primitive motions, but it's a waste of money to make something designed for mini game collections and isn't used for anything else. I seem to recall Microsoft executives saying it was the future of gaming and that the possibilities are endless, yet I can see few actual uses for it and even fewer companies bothering to use it.

If Microsoft didn't want it to be used for a game like COD or something, they wouldn't have made it. Hell, even Resistance uses the Move controller for aiming, and the Wii has more then a few games to make use of it. Kinect is crap and a failure from a development standpoint, developers won't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
    As much as you think it isnt, technology wise kinect is the most advanced. As much as you seem to have had troubles with it, it has the best motion tracking without pain in the ass extras like the PS Light balls or the bastard wii mote and numchuck.

I have a feeling MS doesnt waste time on sticking it into games becuase it sees whats happened to the other systems, to much time is spent on working in motion controlls and not enough on the game making the game pure shit. I can count on one hand the number of wii games i enjoy that use the wiimote. If you dont think the kinect is being used for anything go google it, you might learn somthing, or watch engadget there is always somthing new popping up there.

Did you actually use the MOVE controller for aiming in R3? No? Neither did I because it was terrible. I use my Kinect almost every day, because I hate doing Cardio and a cardio 'game' actually gets me doing it. Gunstringer was pretty fun. Kinect Fruit Ninja is hard.

Kinect is the most technologically advanced one, despite the fact that you did not like it.

@OP -> No, Sony has said they wont even announce anything this year. I wouldn't be suprised if MS Announced much later this year but released early 2013, Spring maybe? With no current announcement and the continuing statements that they aren't prepared to move on new hardware, I personally doubt MS will release anything this year.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    As much as you think it isnt, technology wise kinect is the most advanced. As much as you seem to have had troubles with it, it has the best motion tracking without pain in the ass extras like the PS Light balls or the bastard wii mote and numchuck.

I have a feeling MS doesnt waste time on sticking it into games becuase it sees whats happened to the other systems, to much time is spent on working in motion controlls and not enough on the game making the game pure shit. I can count on one hand the number of wii games i enjoy that use the wiimote. If you dont think the kinect is being used for anything go google it, you might learn somthing, or watch engadget there is always somthing new popping up there.
    So how does one use something as primitive as the Kinect for control input? Beyond waving your arms around like a douche to touch buttons that are on the screen? Good luck ever seeing something serious used with Kinect, since there is no form of input and the camera response is laggy even with perfect configuration conditions, at least the Wii Remote works and was adopted by developers. Maybe motion controls would have been more successful had Nintendo put out a good console, but the games that fully utilize the Wii Remote destroy any of the PS3 and 360 motion controlled games. Play Red Steel 2, No More Heroes (both games), Goldeneye, The Conduit (two games), House of the Dead: Overkill and Zelda: Skyward Sword for prime examples of how motion controls are used effectively in games. Most of the PS3 games that support the Move controller are just like most Wii games, just waggle controls, however the ones that use it effectively do it far better then Kinect.

So how does one use something as primitive as the Kinect for control input? Beyond waving your arms around like a douche to touch buttons that are on the screen? Good luck ever seeing something serious used with Kinect, since there is no form of input and the camera response is laggy even with perfect configuration conditions,
    Do you even know what motion tracking camera tech is? Have you looked up Kinect applications? Did you see iron man where he built his suit by waves and movements of his hand? While we arnt there yet that is exactly what the kinect does.

at least the Wii Remote works and was adopted by developers
    The wii mote has not been adopted by devs. I dont know what rock you live under but devs are constantly bitching about having to build games around the wii mote. They dont have an option , where as with xbox they do have an option. Despite your beliefe not everyone wants to use motion controls, i think they are shit and a very very large amount of gamers i know feel the same way, id rather be able to choose between motion or regular controller. Wii doesnt give you that option, infact the new wii models [not wii u] Dont even have cube controller ports any more.

but the games that fully utilize the Wii Remote destroy any of the PS3 and 360 motion controlled games.
    The motion controlled games, again motion is not the next wave of gaming its a sidestreet that no everyone wants to go down which should be more than apparant to you.

Play Red Steel 2, No More Heroes (both games), Goldeneye, The Conduit (two games), House of the Dead: Overkill and Zelda: Skyward Sword for prime examples of how motion controls are used effectively in games.
    Red steel was beyond a shit excuse for a FPS game, Ill stick to goldeneye source, House of the dead was meh [ not a fan of the wii gun perifs, Iv herd more complaints about the zelda motion controlls than praises.

Most of the PS3 games that support the Move controller are just like most Wii games, just waggle controls, however the ones that use it effectively do it far better then Kinect.
    Becuase xbox devs dont give 2 shits about the kinect, they focus on real games using controllers not trying to toss in gimick motion at the expense of gameplay like Nintendo devs .

Just thought I would add that the lag problem the kinect used to have has been fixed. Kinect also has speech recognition which the other two options do not have.

I'll say this about Kinect. It has not been blew me away awesome but it is kinda cool and depending on the game you dont even need to pick up a controller. Having tried all 3 motion devices the Kinect is the best of the 3. If you are into that kind of thing I would get the Kinect. If not I wouldn't bother with any of them.