Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    We also need to consider the consequences of bringing back a species such as this. What if it ends up being able to adapt to our climate much better than we could have ever hoped? It could begin to spread and kill off other plants.

Bringing things back from the past is scary.

Oh look, we defrosted a new and ancient virus! Oooops, did I just accidentally break that container? Hrmm... I'm not feeling so well...

Next thing you know, half the planet is dead.

So... when will I be able to ride my IRL Mammoth?

Deleted
    Unfortunatly this wasn't cloning from something fossilized in the same way as dinosaurs are (bones that have become rock over the years). The seeds where effectively frozen and very lucky in that the ice did not damage them enough and they could still be used. Some mammoths have been found frozen with some DNA intact that could be used to clone then and even some dinosaurs have been found mummified that could in theory be used for cloning. However it's very hard to clone something thats been dead for so long as even with perfect conditions the genetic material degrades over the years and without a complete set of DNA it could be nigh impossible to clone it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    When you'll get 150 Wintergrasp tokens... but first, our nations need to arrange into two factions, it's already happening. Wintergrasp is melting North Pole, we're fighting for oil.

10+ Year Old Account
    An interesting story to be sure; however, it is difficult to believe that this sort of thing doesn't already happen in nature by itself. Imagine for a moment a glacier receding that may have covered the seeds of some long-extinct plant species only to be thawed and released later where it germinated naturally. It's not entirely implausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Haha Right?! Kinda scary tho.. IMO
    The unknown can be scary, say we clone something and it causes an outbreak or strange allergy that we have no way to fight. It doesn't have to effect us directly say this new plant or anything else has the ability to grow some odd fungus or mold that wipes out wheat crops without any resistance? All of this is highly unlikely sure, at a point though whats dead should stay dead. It died off for a reason maybe we shouldn't undo that.

---------- Post added 2012-02-22 at 12:00 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Archangel Tyrael View Post
    Ill see if my buddy's ex wife will go without shaving for a few days and you can jump on and practice.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Sure it's awesome genetics and stuff. But what's the point of reviving a plant that died out waaaaay before our time?
    Im guessing you don't see the bigger picture of this right?
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by NotoriousJesus View Post
    Im guessing you don't see the bigger picture of this right?
    He doesn't, hence, the question :P

15+ Year Old Account
    Man that is cool props to them.

Bloodsail Admiral DownButStillOut's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As long as they dont replicate viruses from that time that could mean zombies Im perfectly fine with what they're doing.
    Is a pretty flower also
    BeeeeeeeoooooOOOOoooooooooooooooOOOO-FFFSSSHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMM!!!
    My attempt at being less of a pessimist was choosing Dawnbringer as my choice of server.
    I regret somethings! (like setting this in my signature)

The plant is going to secrete a fume that will kill millions of people like in " The Happening."

Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    Scary to the point of.. If they can do "this".. What's next?
    t-rex conquering the world? yeah right
    Isnt 10% of infinite still infinite?

Proof that mother Russia makes you so strong, the plants there can come back to life after tens of thousands of years of death.

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    Bringing things back from the past is scary.

Oh look, we defrosted a new and ancient virus! Oooops, did I just accidentally break that container? Hrmm... I'm not feeling so well...

Next thing you know, half the planet is dead.
    The Dutch have already created a "Doomsday virus" that has the potential to pretty much eradicate the worlds population. It's a mutated form of the Bird Flu. If the Euros have created that already, who knows what the US militarys biological warfare labs have up their sleeve.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...virus-lab.html

Oh god.

It wasn't the machines we should be worried about.

IT'S THE PREHISTORIC CARNIVOROUS FLORA!

Quote Originally Posted by Theodon View Post
    You never know what medicinal purposes some of the plants that have gone extinct could hold. You could also say the same for the potential dangers though, such as some troll plant spreading all over the world and killing off others, as a bit of an extreme example.
    When you said troll plant, i automatically thought of something like this >.>

Deleted
    a while ago they unearthed a frozen wooly mammoth in iceland or greenland, one or the other.