Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1

    Melee beta footage?

    Anyone found any melee beta footage?

    I've seen a few mesmer videos, but I'd really like to see what its like to be a melee in some of these boss fights. Some people around here seem to think that I have it in my head that there MUST be a tank and I've never said any such thing. What I would like to know is what you guys think about the "boss fight" in this video. I'm not sure where the bird or bear come from, but for significant portions of the fight the boss seems focused on them.

    Now my other point I'd like to see some opinions on is how do you think these guys SHOULD have handled the fight, or did it look alright? At a few points it looks like most of the melee are dead, but get revived. I'm just wondering if these guys should be darting in and out when the AE hits or should the whole group kind of be kiting the boss around while dodging the red patches...

    I'm trying to see examples of how the melee classes handle these big fights.

    http://uk.ign.com/videos/2012/02/20/...mesmer?show=HD

    The boss fight starts up about 10:30.

  2. #2
    This might be kind of off-topic, but I am a bit concerned for melee in this game. Especially the lighter armored ones. What advantage does melee offer over ranged? In most videos I've seen the melee just switches to some sort of ranged weapon and pewpews, but the second they go in and melee they explode and die.
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  3. #3
    every class can be melee and every class can pop out to range. Therefore we can situationally conclude that all classes can do anything needed. I am sure there will be mechanics incorporated where being in melee is needed. IE. fighting a mesmer npc that has a greatsword that does more damage the further away you are. just to name one thing that i know can happen.

    on topic though, check out the Charr Videos from yogscast he is playing a low level warrior and it is kinda funny.

    also the ascalon dungeon video has a guardian in melee. head to the guild wars 2: the one thread to find that.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    This might be kind of off-topic, but I am a bit concerned for melee in this game. Especially the lighter armored ones. What advantage does melee offer over ranged? In most videos I've seen the melee just switches to some sort of ranged weapon and pewpews, but the second they go in and melee they explode and die.
    Watch the 3rd video here:

    http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite...nts-dynamiques

    99% of the people from this beta are absolutely terrible at the game. They don't weapon swap, don't dodge, don't actually know what their abilities do or understand how to use them in conjunction with each other, they don't use cross profession combos, they don't use positioning, they don't use class mechanics, they heal at the wrong time, when they start dying they suddenly spam their utility skills as if that'll save them, they don't actually know what their utility skills even do, and on and on...

  5. #5
    Yeah I saw those videos, but neither of them really show what its like to be in a boss fight and play what people seem to think others are playing badly. I'd like to see what its like when several melee are either dodging blows or trading them to see how it works.

    I'd like to find some evidence that this is in fact a bunch of shitty reporters that don't know how to play and not very confusing mechanics. These are people who generally report on games regularly so I would presume that they aren't total and complete idiots when it comes to general mechanics.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    Yeah I saw those videos, but neither of them really show what its like to be in a boss fight and play what people seem to think others are playing badly. I'd like to see what its like when several melee are either dodging blows or trading them to see how it works.

    I'd like to find some evidence that this is in fact a bunch of shitty reporters that don't know how to play and not very confusing mechanics. These are people who generally report on games regularly so I would presume that they aren't total and complete idiots when it comes to general mechanics.
    You give the press way too much credit, it's a well known fact that the press are terrible gamers. Introduce them to unfamiliar mechanics and you have a recipe for disaster.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    Yeah I saw those videos, but neither of them really show what its like to be in a boss fight and play what people seem to think others are playing badly. I'd like to see what its like when several melee are either dodging blows or trading them to see how it works.

    I'd like to find some evidence that this is in fact a bunch of shitty reporters that don't know how to play and not very confusing mechanics. These are people who generally report on games regularly so I would presume that they aren't total and complete idiots when it comes to general mechanics.
    I believe from a sample of like 10 of the press reviewers only 1 said they were familiar with MMOs.

    So... they probably are.

    Basically what you're watching with these videos is the average joe playing a video game which they are totally unfamiliar with. It's not a pretty sight and most people on this forum are pretty bitter about it.
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  8. #8
    Stood in the Fire MissCleo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    416
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaerin View Post
    Yeah I saw those videos, but neither of them really show what its like to be in a boss fight and play what people seem to think others are playing badly. I'd like to see what its like when several melee are either dodging blows or trading them to see how it works.

    I'd like to find some evidence that this is in fact a bunch of shitty reporters that don't know how to play and not very confusing mechanics. These are people who generally report on games regularly so I would presume that they aren't total and complete idiots when it comes to general mechanics.
    Did you actually watch those videos? The video that several people linked or tried to link earlier in this thread is the third one down on that page. Starting at about 3:20 you can see a couple people tackling a pretty tough mob for in a DE. The Warrior is actively dodging, doing a bit of kiting, etc., and hardly gets hit at all - doesn't take much, if any, damage. The other player there, a Guardian I think, ends up standing there and taking several hits in a row from the mob, and you can see when the mob dies that the Guardian's health is extremely low.

    Just imagine if the mob hit slightly harder (like, if there had been another person there to scale it up, maybe) - that Guardian would have been wrecked. The Warrior, however, through his artful dodging and skillful gameplay, escaped unharmed and managed to dish out a buttload of damage.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Freehoof View Post
    Did you actually watch those videos? The video that several people linked or tried to link earlier in this thread is the third one down on that page. Starting at about 3:20 you can see a couple people tackling a pretty tough mob for in a DE. The Warrior is actively dodging, doing a bit of kiting, etc., and hardly gets hit at all - doesn't take much, if any, damage. The other player there, a Guardian I think, ends up standing there and taking several hits in a row from the mob, and you can see when the mob dies that the Guardian's health is extremely low.

    Just imagine if the mob hit slightly harder (like, if there had been another person there to scale it up, maybe) - that Guardian would have been wrecked. The Warrior, however, through his artful dodging and skillful gameplay, escaped unharmed and managed to dish out a buttload of damage.
    Actually the guardian was downed at the end (someone said twice but I only saw once)

    So the Guardian wouldn't have killed it solo.
    6.0 Disc Priest Guide http://i.imgur.com/QbCmDc2l.jpg

  10. #10
    Dreadlord Sentinel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    845
    Although I do not actually like yogscast very much, they made some videos that have shown the most that I have personally seen. For melee, watch the 3 top videos, about the Charr.

    http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos/videos
    "This one last bullet you mention is my one last shot at redemption, because I know to live you must give your life away."

    Your friendly neighborhood white lion.

  11. #11
    it's not very good footage of melee, he uses a gun for a lot of it just because he goes into melee and gets owned. comparatively range just get to spam attacks all day. so if you want to play melee you have to do a lot more work it seems.

    also


  12. #12
    The problem is that the whole group was ranged and when ever he went in melee range all the mobs focused on him because he was closer. There are no deticated tanks in this game so all the mobs attacking you is not going to end well. If all those classes played as their melee option it wouldnt be that bad. Playing as melee will require alot of dodging and movement to evade attacks, Lewis almost never moves out of the way when getting hit and neither use the dodge function. Also when fighting groups like that you want to make use of control abilitys which they may or may not have had with the weapons they were using. Stuns, incapacitates, dazing, Knockbacks these will all keep the mobs at bay especially if you can communicate with your teammates when you want to do them.

    I too am scared about melee in this game but im hoping its just bad players. There is a video of a very skilled warrior taking on mobs by himself making use of weapon swaps, dodges, and swift movements to dodge almost all incoming attacks.

  13. #13
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    I am worried too, but I at least see the potential after seeing some possible setups for a warrior.

    I always loved playing a feral druid and bouncing back and forth from cat to bear, so I welcome the whole weapon swap system with open arms. It does take more skill to play melee, especially in pvp, at least in my experience. These people in the videos could not handle a caster, so I am anxious to see a skilled pvp player soon. Hell, anyone that just has some idea wtf they are doing.

  14. #14
    The one good player in the press beta removed his video. The ONE player who actually played like he read the tooltips. Sadness grips me.

  15. #15
    Scarab Lord Roose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Tuscaloosa
    Posts
    4,945
    Quote Originally Posted by arceuid View Post
    it's not very good footage of melee, he uses a gun for a lot of it just because he goes into melee and gets owned. comparatively range just get to spam attacks all day. so if you want to play melee you have to do a lot more work it seems.
    Hopefully they are well aware of the difference in difficulty between ranged and melee, both in pve and pvp. It is nothing new. Blizz even had to buff melee for DS.

    ---------- Post added 2012-02-21 at 10:17 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The one good player in the press beta removed his video. The ONE player who actually played like he read the tooltips. Sadness grips me.
    The elementalist I saw do pvp seemed pretty decent.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The one good player in the press beta removed his video. The ONE player who actually played like he read the tooltips. Sadness grips me.
    Here's a link, 3rd video:

    http://www.jeuxonline.info/actualite...nts-dynamiques

  17. #17
    The Patient MalazanFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    212
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    The one good player in the press beta removed his video. The ONE player who actually played like he read the tooltips. Sadness grips me.
    You can still see them here:

    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    I'm assuming that's who you were talking about. I think whoever uploaded them to youtube wasn't the actual player but he tried to pass it off as such. That's what I gathered from reddit, at least.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by omlech View Post
    This guy.

    I love the French!

  19. #19
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Norwich, England.
    Posts
    93
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    This might be kind of off-topic, but I am a bit concerned for melee in this game. Especially the lighter armored ones. What advantage does melee offer over ranged? In most videos I've seen the melee just switches to some sort of ranged weapon and pewpews, but the second they go in and melee they explode and die.
    I imagine melee attacks will be pretty deadly when you've set it up well. I've watched next to no videos though, I prefer to jump in the game on release with a foolish ignorance. However since everyone can melee and range, I think stuff like Warriors will set up a spike from range, then jump in for some major damage and rinse and repeat in a delicate chess-like battle of wits.

    If it's anything like GW1, PvP will be pretty good.
    DwarfPaladinBaggers
    Ravencrest - EU

  20. #20
    Man I have very little interest in playing a Warrior but these are some of the best videos of gameplay I've seen yet :S.

    Offtopic: Has anyone seen any gameplay for Rangers/Ranged Warriors out from the press beta?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •