Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Will GW2 have lower minimum system requirements than SWTOR?

I have heard that the devs behind GW2 are testing the game on lower spec cards. Even going as far as to dig up old ones. I was told by people that my computers were slightly too low to get ToR to work. My question is with this testing system can we expect GW2 to be less spec heavy than ToR, about the same, or higher?

Quote Originally Posted by TheEaterofSouls View Post
    I have heard that the devs behind GW2 are testing the game on lower spec cards. Even going as far as to dig up old ones. I was told by people that my computers were slightly too low to get ToR to work. My question is with this testing system can we expect GW2 to be less spec heavy than ToR, about the same, or higher?
    Truth is, we don't know for sure.
    We can speculate, sure, but until the game is finished being optimized and released, we really do not know.

Deleted
    Yes you can becouse that peice of **** is badly coded, even runs on an engine that isnt optimized for an mmo, gw2 will have its own engine based on the first gw, they have said they aim for it to be able to run on a mid range gaming computer, expect some info on the sys req to come out fairly soon

Post your specs and people can guestimate, but we won't know for certain until open beta/demo/release.

@at the post above

It's true that TOR coding sucks, but if the OPs specs are horrible, that won't change the fact that he can't play GW2.

Deleted
    Also, there is already a thread about this http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Wars-2-thread.

It'll most likely change on launch but for now its pretty bad:
    Processer: AMD 64x2 duel-core 5600+
    video:NVIDA GeForce 6150
    This is my crappy computer btw. My laptop has higher specs. but I don't have its specs right now.

Deleted
    The optimization done in SWTOR was HORRIBLE. So yes.

Deleted
    Nobody knows for sure but TOR has a horrible engine, if you can play TOR on low then I guess you should be able to play GW2 although nothing is confirmed until they release the minimum requirements.

They are apparently doing alot of testing on lower end cards and the engine is their own, Id like to hope it will be better optimised than TOR.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    That will probably play low settings at like 20 fps, that's what i'm guessing atleast.
    If thats the case i'll probubly preorder in a heartbeat!

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivehn View Post
    That will probably play low settings at like 20 fps, that's what i'm guessing atleast.
    It won't, not even close. The NVIDIA 6105 graphics chip is an integrated chip. The AMD 64 X2 is several generations old but should be able to keep the game running on the lowest settings, however a graphics card would be necessary either way.

But as it stands I wouldn't expect 20FPS, hell I'd be surprised if you broke 10 or 15. Either way though the game should be far better optimized than SWTOR, from the videos I have watched the game is running pretty smoothly across a wide spectrum of systems.

I imagine as more information is revealed regarding system requirements I'll make a colored guide for the sake of ease for the community.

Any answer will be speculation at best. The answer is that we dont know and as Arenanet are still optimising their game engine, its difficult for even them to comment on how the system requirements are going to end up. Youre just going to have to wait for more details Im afraid, which will come closer to the release date.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no possible way that this game could run as poorly as TOR. Beta footage already proves that.

A better comparison would likely be to WoW because it is way more stable of a benchmark.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    It won't, not even close. The NVIDIA 6105 graphics chip is an integrated chip. The AMD 64 X2 is several generations old but should be able to keep the game running on the lowest settings, however a graphics card would be necessary either way.
    I like to debate this sorta thing because every-time someone says i can't run something it ends up working. It could be the fact that ive gotten it fixed and the drives or cards have been upgraded slightly or polished I feel confidant enough that the game will work tho.

Im not "Pro PC" gamer so low FPS in natural to me. Like people who are deaf or blind learning around there disability. I guess ill just have to wait and see. As for my laptop. its 2 years newer and has a few higher wow texture qualities so im sure it'll be ok to get hype up for this game. Also played Rift on it for sometime.
    (I can't exactly buy a new card atm as im saving money for a trip to Germany.)
    Last edited by TheEaterofSouls; 2012-02-22 at 07:30 PM.

I like to debate this sorta thing because every-time someone says i can't run something it ends up working. I feel confidant enough that the game will work. Im not "Pro PC" gamer so low FPS in natural to me. I guess ill just have to wait and see. As for my laptop. its 2 years newer and has a few higher wow texture qualities so im sure it'll be ok to get hype up for this game.
    (I can't exactly buy a new card atm as im saving money for a trip to Germany.)
    If you are confident it will run, and when someone tells you it likely won't you are confident enough to tell them they are wrong.... why did you bother opening a thread to ask, if you don't mind my asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    If you are confident it will run, and when someone tells you it likely won't you are confident enough to tell them they are wrong.... why did you bother opening a thread to ask, if you don't mind my asking?
    Because I didn't realize how ToR was optimized so poorly. I had ask around alot and gotten negative responses saying that particular game wouldn't work. I can run wow at 25FPs as well as others. I wanted to see others responses and opinions as to how better GW2 will be optimized as opposed to ToR and other modern mmos.
    The fact that a company is using a multitude of different drives also gave me confidence, but I still felt like it should be speculated. So I made a thread to see what others thought about its potential and how it can run on low-spec PCs and Laptops. Even tho im confidant, I wanted to see what others thought of it.
    I didn't want this to turn into a spec war. Just a speculation thread about the games running potential.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I didn't realize how ToR was optimized so poorly. I had ask around alot and gotten negative responses saying that particular game wouldn't work. I can run wow at 25FPs as well as others.[/I]
    I would not be too confident with 25 FPS in WoW. My CPU is about as old as yours, but I have a new 6770 card and I play WoW @ 75 FPS on mid-high, 50-60 FPS on high-ultra. That is both in cities and BGs. Odds are you will need a new card to play GW2 with any decent FPS. I hope the shitty CPU will be enough for us though. If not, the new CPUs will be out and this is a game that I will not mind buying a new CPU for.
    I like sandwiches

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    I would not be too confident with 25 FPS in WoW. My CPU is about as old as yours, but I have a new 6770 card and I play WoW @ 75 FPS on mid-high, 50-60 FPS on high-ultra. That is both in cities and BGs. Odds are you will need a new card to play GW2 with any decent FPS. I hope the shitty CPU will be enough for us though. If not, the new CPUs will be out and this is a game that I will not mind buying a new CPU for.
    Actually I think my CPUs been upgraded slightly when I took it to get fixed once. My label could be outdated to where my pc actually is! And my laptop has higher spec potential. So if it can't run on my PC chances are it'll run on my laptop much better. Lets just hope things will work out in the end.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Like I said the CPU should be fine the real drawback is a lack of dedicated graphics cards. Even a Radeon HD6770 would be a HUGE improvement over nothing. Hell I run 2x HD5770's and a single HD5770 when Crossfire isn't supported and I can play just about everything in 1920x1080 on high settings.

I do understand saving > spending money on a video game though.

Best we can do at this point is wait, hope you get into the beta then you can test it on your own PC's. On the bright side you don't have to pay a subscription for this game so there is some cash saved already.

I think you guys are overestimating the power of his processor and video card.

Guild Wars 2 uses an engine designed for MMO gaming and uses special camera technology that unloads models you can't even see.

Also in this generation, most PC games are actually developed on consoles before being ported to the PC. Because of that it makes it easier to port to both platforms. If Guild Wars 2 is truly being developed for PS3, expect it to run on the system specs of a PS3... which is not that very high.

The game is also being supported in Direct X 9. So you can assume that a lot of Direct X 9 cards could run the game, otherwise the support would just be a waste of time.

For this reason, it wouldn't surprise me if you ran this on a single core at 3ghz.
    A geforce 6600 is fine, but don't expect high graphic settings.
    Last edited by Deyadissa; 2012-02-22 at 08:34 PM.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Deyadissa View Post
    I think you guys are overestimating the power of his processor and video card.

Guild Wars 2 uses an engine designed for MMO gaming and uses special camera technology that unloads models you can't even see.

Also in this generation, most PC games are actually developed on consoles before being ported to the PC. Because of that it makes it easier to port to both platforms. If Guild Wars 2 is truly being developed for PS3, expect it to run on the system specs of a PS3... which is not that very high.

The game is also being supported in Direct X 9. So you can assume that a lot of Direct X 9 cards could run the game, otherwise the support would just be a waste of time.

For this reason, it wouldn't surprise me if you ran this on a single core at 3ghz.
    A geforce 6600 is fine, but don't expect high graphic settings.
    It's not being designed to run on a PS3, it's being designed to run on a PC then later ported being to consoles.
    There is a MAJOR difference between optimizing for console and porting to PC and vice versa, esp when a console version hasn't even been confirmed yet.