Warmaster Blackhorn Trick?

So I'm one of three healers for my guild, and I'm the only holy pally. We've been progressing on Normal DS 10 and been making slow but steady progress. We finally downed Warmaster for the first time last week! Since we are pretty melee heavy (and one of our ranged is lacking solid dps), it has been a struggle.

Anyway, one of our biggest problems is soaking all of Barrages. Usually, we divide up the ship into quadrants, which works pretty well. However, when we get an Onslaught near the door to the cabin, all the melee have to run to it and end up missing several Barrages.

Would is be possible for me to pop Divine Shield and soak the damage myself? Has anyone tried this?

I thought I might ask here before potentially wiping the raid.

Thanks guys!

When considering onslaught soaks, the game counts the ship as if it were another player. If you use an immunity effect to soak an onslaught, it simply doesn't calculate any damage on you and the ship takes the full damage from the attack. So no, a pally bubbling to soak won't do anything it would just be the equivalent of the ship taking a whole onslaught with no soakers.
    Last edited by Dhurn; 2012-02-22 at 07:41 PM.

As long as you take every onslaught and kill every sapper before he reaches the cabin you should be able to avoid most of the barrages. Also, a tip, if you move both of the melee guys to stand on top of the dragon when it gets pulled down your melee can do cleave damage to the dragon as well. This should help in getting them down faster.

The above works for us but we are able to kill both dragons before they take off a second time so we have few barrages. You should be fine if you have your ranged on one side and your melee with the adds and a dragon on the other side.

The only time we skip killing the drakes is during the last phase, we make sure to kill the two melee before the drakes so we get additional but we mostly just ignore the barrages now in our group.

On topic: Anything that makes you immune will not stop the damage to the ship I believe but am not 100%. What I mean is if a rogue cloaked, mage ice block, pally bubble, the full damage will still go through. This stops you from bubbling an onslaught. That being said, as a druid I can solo take one provided I have barkskin up and some other classes can as well.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Dhurn! That's unfortunate. I was hoping to help out the raid with a nice little trick tonight, but that did seem to be too easy. I guess we'll have to get our ranged dps to pick up the pace.

Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    On topic: Anything that makes you immune will not stop the damage to the ship I believe but am not 100%. What I mean is if a rogue cloaked, mage ice block, pally bubble, the full damage will still go through. This stops you from bubbling an onslaught. That being said, as a druid I can solo take one provided I have barkskin up and some other classes can as well.
    Hope this helps.
    You take the damage as normal if you use an immunity. But you can do cauterize or dispersion instead.

Night - I think our biggest issue is ranged not being able to get the drakes down quickly enough. We'll try the melee cleave tactic tonight, though. Thanks!

Note that while cauterize and dispersion work (and we use them), the boat in those cases takes HALF the damage of the onslaught. Whereas if you have 8 players in there, the boat takes 1/9th the damage. As written above, the boat is treated as a player in these cases.

On our successful kills, we've done both four all-ins (or close to it) and also only three. Our starting plan is always to clump for the first three, spriest for the next one, and then mage out the last- but if the boat is very low, we'll clump for that one.

Onslaught ignores immunities. Bubble will not save you. The boat will indeed only take half of the damage, but you will die. And waste your bubble cd (quite useful for a hectic shockwave later).

As people have said above cauterise and dispersion are the best way to solo soak onslaught. I believe ardent defender and guardian spirit work also. However very few groups use this 'trick' more than once or twice because the boat takes so much more damage than when the whole raid soaks it together.

Good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    my guild 2 heals that boss though we do normal mode

15+ Year Old Account
    I would strongly recommend using 2 healers for that fight. Using 3 healers we found was actually harder to heal because the dragon was up too long and phase 1 was significantly harder.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    remember your tank should also be draging the slayer into the onslaughts as only the deadblade has a cleave.
    on normaly anyway don't think he cleaves heroic?

but draging the slayer in means your melle don't lsoe uptime as they stil ahve something to hit

From the wording in the OP I believe he is talking about normal Blackhorn. The responses you have gotten are referring to the heroic version.

If you indeed are asking about normal version then taking all barrages is not terribly important and missing a few during onslaughts will not matter. The only threats to the ship are sappers and onslaughts. Make sure you kill all sappers and soak all onslaughts and you should be fine, don't overthink it. The question about bubbling barrages or onslaughts have been answered but let me add that you can solo soak barrages with glyphed DP on both normal and heroic.

Anyway, if you were asking about heroic then disregard the above except soaking with DP and listen to the other responses. :>