Page 94 of 105 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurinax View Post
    I was going to post here asking if anyone else was dealing with this issue where I am "immune" to stealthing shortly after breaking stealth.

I read the OP for a few seconds and realized there is indeed that 3 second buffer to prevent chain-stealth. At least I know it's intended and something I can work around.

Telling me I'm immune to stealthing is a poor way to display my stealth being on cooldown though, and brings back memories of vanish in that other game.
    Your stealth isn't on cooldown exactly. There's multiple ways to stealth, and not all of them have CDs. It became ridiculously apparent in the beta that chain-stealthing (and in a specific case perma stealthing) was overpowered. Extremely overpowered.

They had to find some way to prevent it. A status that prevents re-stealthing is plenty logical, imo.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm not complaining about not being able to stealth indefinitely. Like, at all.

For someone who doesn't frequent online data and boards though, simply seeing "immune" and failing to stealth might be confusing, especially since there isn't some sort of "revealed" debuff. Which would be awesome.

^is all I'm getting at
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I'm not complaining about not being able to stealth indefinitely. Like, at all.

For someone who doesn't frequent online data and boards though, simply seeing "immune" and failing to stealth might be confusing, especially since there isn't some sort of "revealed" debuff. Which would be awesome.

^is all I'm getting at
    There actually -is- a revealed debuff that pops up whenever you leave stealth, i've seen it pop up on enemy thieves, and then also on my ranger, mesmer, and eng whenever i leave a stealth effect...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    No talk in this thread for a while now, seems like everyone's happy with their thief? At 43 I still enjoy mine.
    GemStoneIII (Mud) (ongoing) > SubSpace/Continuum > EQ1-Kunark-PoP > aRO > FFXI > WoW > Rift > WoW > FFXIV > SWToR > Tera > GW2 > Wushu > ESO > W* > EQ1p99 > WoW > ???
    FFXIVARR Profile
    D3 Profile

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to post here asking if anyone else was dealing with this issue where I am "immune" to stealthing shortly after breaking stealth.

I read the OP for a few seconds and realized there is indeed that 3 second buffer to prevent chain-stealth. At least I know it's intended and something I can work around.

Telling me I'm immune to stealthing is a poor way to display my stealth being on cooldown though, and brings back memories of vanish in that other game.
    When breaking/leaving stealth you get the "Revealed" debuff. The tooltip says it lasts a "few seconds". I can't confirm how much that is specifically, but it seems to be as little as 2-3 seconds. So if you Cloak and Dagger, then use it again you won't stealth. Or if you Cloak and Dagger, then use your stealth heal (God I suck at names, I only remember icons ).

Edit: late response!
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2012-08-30 at 07:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyrl View Post
    No talk in this thread for a while now, seems like everyone's happy with their thief? At 43 I still enjoy mine.
    still fully enjoying mine at 80

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone have any tips for fighting a good mesmer? I admittedly got pretty smoked by one last night. We kept having 1v1s in the same capture points during a sPvP match. I beat her once, she beat me twice. All of the illusions and conditions she kept hitting me with...I just couldn't outlast her. I'm thinking of taking the trait that removes conditions when you stealth, but I really need to know how to counter the illusions...is it to aoe them down so she doesn't use them?
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2012-08-30 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    Best way to counter illusions is to smack them, and watch them fall to pieces. There are traits that cause them to apply conditions when you kill them like that, but I think it's just Cripple, or else a random uncontrolled condition entirely.

Sounds like conditions may be your main enemy, though, so if you build with condition removal in mind to begin with, that may not be an issue.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-08-30 at 10:00 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Loyrl View Post
    I have to admit - my initial idea was to roll a Warrior. But at the last second I decided for some sexy Thief action - and havent looked back since

The first 20-25 levels was pretty easymode, but after 25-30 the mobs tend to hit a lot harder and the dodge/stealth mechanics really begins to shine if timed correctly. Love it! High DPS, very squishy but some excellent utilities... this will be my first toon to 80.

Quote Originally Posted by solidsheep View Post
    Have you changed your runes when you go into pvp or do just use what they give you.... also quit spaming heartseeker.
    I dont understand how people are complaining about theifs dmg... i went full crit build with duel dagger and was opening up on people for 7+k. You have to look and find what fits your play style you just cant ask for everything and complain classes are under powered.
    well, wondering about pve/leveling here, what do you spam as double dagger? it seems pretty unwieldy to spam death blossom.

also someone earlier said "stop stacking power" but even with toughness/vit it's not as efficient as kiting with dual pistol/shortbow and often times survivability goes down due to moves that only go off in melee. someone also said something about "melee kiting" and anticipating moves but some are also targeted or make them go stealth. thus far there have been zero scenarios where melee is preferable, which is disheartening as i wanted to play melee in pve outside of pistol whip spam.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Best way to counter illusions is to smack them, and watch them fall to pieces. There are traits that cause them to apply conditions when you kill them like that, but I think it's just Cripple, or else a random uncontrolled condition entirely.

Sounds like conditions may be your main enemy, though, so if you build with condition removal in mind to begin with, that may not be an issue.
    Idk about you but as a ranger who relies on movement just a much as a thief, I don't wanna get imobbed, chilled, or crippled because I killed some stupid illusion...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by arceuid View Post
    well, wondering about pve/leveling here, what do you spam as double dagger? it seems pretty unwieldy to spam death blossom.

also someone earlier said "stop stacking power" but even with toughness/vit it's not as efficient as kiting with dual pistol/shortbow and often times survivability goes down due to moves that only go off in melee. someone also said something about "melee kiting" and anticipating moves but some are also targeted or make them go stealth. thus far there have been zero scenarios where melee is preferable, which is disheartening as i wanted to play melee in pve outside of pistol whip spam.
    Could you try Dagger/Pistol in that order? Shadow Shot, if properly timed, can make one opponent miss all his hits on you. I'm only lvl 19, so I can't judge beyond this yet.

eh, if you're not supposed to spam 2 that leaves shadow shot, which is less than efficient when it comes to damage. also it seems daggers have poor aoe, death blossom being the only significant source and that pales in comparison to pistol whip hitting every mob in a wide arc. i was mostly wondering if there's a trick they're talking about or a specific stat that favors daggers in pve or if it's just posturing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Idk about you but as a ranger who relies on movement just a much as a thief, I don't wanna get imobbed, chilled, or crippled because I killed some stupid illusion...
    That's part of my problem. I've been aoeing them down but the debuffs I get aren't worth it. What I've been trying is dodge backwards, swapping to my ranged weapon set and killing them that way. It's taking too much time. I guess I just have to face tank them and do my best to use dodges right. Annoying little buggers.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey guys i was wondering if any1 could put up or come up with a good Dagger / Pistol trait build for me? I just fell in love with the playstyle of it , along with the Blinds etc. and i'd like a good build to go along with it and tbh i suck at figuring those out. Thanks in advance.

Deleted
    hello everyone, yesterday i started playing Guild Wars after coming back from my holiday. I chose thief because they looked fun and what not. I am altough dissapointed in the damage i seem to be pulling, i am level 14 now and the maximum i can get is 150 damage. While my friend is an elementalist and does 300 damage. Is this because of gear or are thiefs just weak atm? he weapons im using atm are 2 daggers: 134-142 +6 power

thanks in advance

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nympharia View Post
    hello everyone, yesterday i started playing Guild Wars after coming back from my holiday. I chose thief because they looked fun and what not. I am altough dissapointed in the damage i seem to be pulling, i am level 14 now and the maximum i can get is 150 damage. While my friend is an elementalist and does 300 damage. Is this because of gear or are thiefs just weak atm? he weapons im using atm are 2 daggers: 134-142 +6 power

thanks in advance
    Gear, weapon choice, playstyle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nympharia View Post

thanks in advance
    Are you getting any backstabs in? Use Cloak and Dagger often, and always make sure you attack from behind when opening from stealth (your number 1 ability changes to backstab in stealth). Backstab does double damage from behind and is your "nuke", or highest damage ability. Heartseeker is also very powerful and should be spammed when the target's health is low.

Quote Originally Posted by mirve
    Hey guys i was wondering if any1 could put up or come up with a good Dagger / Pistol trait build for me? I just fell in love with the playstyle of it , along with the Blinds etc. and i'd like a good build to go along with it and tbh i suck at figuring those out. Thanks in advance.
    Are you looking for PvP or PvE? I'd be happy to throw something together but remember that there are enough traits for you to really spend them to fit your own playstyle. Traits are like your own personality, and I don't think there are many "wrong" ways to spend them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Definitely true that a LOT of the dagger damage is funneled into Backstab, and the auto attacks. Heartseeker is only good when they're low, and Death Blossom is primarily for applying Bleeds and for evading attacks.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-09-01 at 06:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Definitely true that a LOT of the dagger damage is funneled into Backstab, and the auto attacks. Heartseeker is only good when they're low, and Death Blossom is primarily for applying Bleeds and for evading attacks.
    Yup, it's also cool to note that if you are going to Death Blossom a target that has a lot of HP (veteran or champions, basically) you can pool enough initiative to use Death Blossom twice. It gives you 6 stacks of the bleed, and from there you try to keep refreshing it before it expires.
    Last edited by -aiko-; 2012-09-01 at 06:51 PM. Reason: Initiative*