View Poll Results: Jules Verne vs Dr.Seuss (Who is more famous)

Voters
89. This poll is closed
  • Jules Verne

42 47.19%
  • Dr.Seuss

47 52.81%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhaalu View Post
    Who's never heard of Dr. Seuss?
    Anyone outside the US, I'm guessing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Geissel was a big deal when I was living in La Jolla a few years back, the UCSD library is named after him, and I grew up reading his stuff, although the book I learned to read with was not by him, but by one of his proteges

yet where did I first learn to appreciate literature? Jules Verne, who is undeniably more famous worldwide than Seuss/Geissel, he and HG Wells are the two most important figures in early science fiction

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    never heard of Verne but im so tired of being fed that doctor Seuss crap in tv that i voted for Verne
    after googling his name i feel like a complete moron... Ive been seeing his books since i was 5, my mom owned a copy of twenty thousand leagues under the sea, a journey to the center of the earth and i watched the movie around the world in eighty days plenty of times.
    So definitively him, I had never heard of seuss in Cuba and seems like any1 who doesn't live in the us has ever heard anything about Seuss.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-02-24 at 04:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    never heard of Verne but im so tired of being fed that doctor Seuss crap in tv that i voted for Verne
    Nope they don't make a crappy movie out of Jules Verne's books every year or so /sarcasm off.

Jules Verne wrote twenty thousand leagues under the sea, journey to the center of the earth, and Around the world in Eighty days(those are his big name books.). They have all been made in to terrible movies. At least the books are good unlike Seuss.

Uh.. Jules Verne, of course.

Dr Seuss is perhaps more famous in the USA, but such ignorance says more about americans than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Uh.. Jules Verne, of course.

Dr Seuss is perhaps more famous in the USA, but such ignorance says more about americans than anything else.

You mean a American author is more know in the US then a French Author?

Stupid Americans knowing there literature better then another countrys, how dare they.

Deleted
    Definitely Jules Verne... Really awesome books

10+ Year Old Account
    Though I am american I've heard of Jules Verne before I heard of Dr.Seuss, this may be shocking to some but its true.

10+ Year Old Account
    I voted Verne, but can we really compare the work of the great Jules Verne, which is the SciFi author of his era, with Dr Seuss's books for children?

Can we really compare Le tour du monde en 80 jours (Around the World in 80 Days) with The Grinch Who Stole Christmas? Or Vingt milles lieues sous les mers (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea) with The Cat in the Hat?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, we can't not really. Like I said earlier, both are great authors I was trying to see which of the two is more famous. I believe Jules Verne is more famous, don't get me wrong Dr.Seuss is a great author but I just think Jules Verne did a ton more in the sense of creating Science-Fiction and giving ideas for man to reach the stars.
    Last edited by Warpaladin; 2012-02-25 at 02:08 AM. Reason: grammar :D

This isn't saying who I like more, but I think Dr. Seuss is just a bit more famous.

It seems Dr. Seuss is more known in the US, whereas Verne is more knows elsewhere. Are any of Dr. Seuss' books often used in US education? Wouldn't surprise me if they are, and it would certainly explain.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb View Post
    It seems Dr. Seuss is more known in the US, whereas Verne is more knows elsewhere. Are any of Dr. Seuss' books often used in US education? Wouldn't surprise me if they are, and it would certainly explain.
    I learned how to read from Dr. Seuss books before I even started grade school. I'm sure that's pretty common, especially for my age group, not sure how it is these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think Seuss is overrated in the U.S. because his books typically amount to moral support literature for children with some eye-catching illustrations. Verne not only predicted the future, but made it look cool.