1. #301
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Backfire phantasm? Whatchu mean?
    They said in the reddit interview there was a utility skill called Backfire that created a "Backfire Phantasm" that would cast a spell on your enemy that'd do double damage if they were in the process of using a skill when it hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  2. #302
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    No, it's just that it's a ridiculous argument. I still don't see why anybody would fight so heavily to restrict Mesmer playstyle.

    This isn't WoW, where you're not allowed to do more.
    This isn't warhammer online, lord of the rings online, age of conan or ultima online either, it doesn't make your argument any more valid.
    What you want to do is play a caster class as a ranged class and the only reason that you presented for doing so was that because a certain summon had access to a specific skill that allowed use of these ranged weapons, the class should also have them.

    The kind of freedom you seem to be after is perhaps better found in a game such as darkfall online or EVE where you have no class restrictions.

  3. #303
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    No, you have not. You have come up with excuses that, plain and simple, are not reasons.

    "it would bring nothing unique"
    How do you know? There's lots of things that Mesmer weapons don't have and don't do, that ANet could easily put into a main-hand pistol.

    "mesmers are casters, pistols don't make sense"
    Same can be said of sword and greatsword, yet those are in.

    "it would make them like the thief"
    No, it wouldn't, because the skills would be different

    "it would ruin the traits"
    No, it wouldn't - there's already one trait that affects pistols, no more would need to be added, and not all the traits are finished anyways
    Ok first you wanted to know why Phantasm's can use dual pistol while mesmers cant right? Well imo the first thing is mesmers are smart so they can look a dual pistol using class and take the style they saw them use and have a phantasm's use it. The thing is their body cant go with the flow of how another class uses its move because the mesmer's body is not use to the movement, but the mesmers knows the movements and everything so the mesmer's incorporate's that into the phantasm. Now another reason why I believe they should not dual wield pistols. The Mesmer in all honesty have enough ranged weapons and I don't believe a melee class wants to have to deal with a running gunner sending out clones and phantasms all the time lol cuz lets face it people will take advantage of that and the glitches in the game. Now you talk about how swords and greatswords don't make sense right? Well your wrong on swords maybe not on greatswords but you are very wrong on swords. Have you never heard of a magical knight and crap. Not all mages use staves and scepters some use swords to get into the fray on the fighting and some also will set their sword ablaze to make up for their squishiness. The only reason why I believe they put greatswords in the game for mesmers is so they could do something new with it instead of having the basic stave/sword/scepter mage. Also to be fair mesmers having dual pistols or pistol main period due to how many invincibility skills we have and dont say they could take some of it out because then your forcing the build you want onto other players so for now pistol main is a huge no no

  4. #304

    Mesmer

    I wanna do like a dual sword/ sword and scepter or even dual sword/ staff build and it will relay on clones for tricking and phantasm's for damaging while I go in and attack up close and when things get dangerous pop invisibility run a little while the clones and phantasm do their thing i can switch to sword and scepter heal then throw some conditions from afar to set them up for shatter by tht time if they r not dead i can use mirror image to summon to clones and have them thing they r attack me for a bit switch to dual sword and finish them off I kinda have a build but i could use some help I'm thinking of getting rid of veil of invisibility for either blink,distortion, portal entre, or signet of inspiration not sure which, but plz give me your input hmm well seems like i cant post the link so i'll just say the skills i did i put 30 points in dueling. Major skills are Blade Training, Empowering Mantra Phantasm Fury. 10 in Domination with Empowered Illusion, 10 in Chaos for Illusionary Defense, 20 in illusion with Compounding Power, Malicious Scepter. On the Utility list I have Decoy, Mirror Image, Veil of Invisibility, Mass Invisibility

  5. #305
    you people got me so confused...and frustrated -_-

  6. #306
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by luedieniel View Post
    What you want to do is play a caster class as a ranged class
    There is no "caster class" or "ranged class" in GW2. Again, this isn't WoW.

    Warriors can be viable as an entirely ranged build. Elementalists can be entirely viable as a short-range build with daggers. Rangers can be entirely viable with a melee only build. Mesmers can be melee focused with Sword-based builds, or ranged with Greatsword or Staff builds.

    Think outside the box for once.

    In addition, Mesmers can already wield off-hand pistols, so I'm not sure you have to stretch your imagination very far. There's already a trait for the Pistol, so all that would need to be done is to pick out three main-hand pistol skills that actually complement the rest of the Mesmer weapons without just copying what the Mesmer already has. Which, as I've said, is very easy to do. You would still be a tricksy caster regardless of weapon, you know.

    Hell, I think Pistol/Torch could be a neat weapon set to play around with, depending on what skills a pistol would bring. *shrugs*

    You don't even know what kind of skills the Pistol would have that could complement other Mesmer builds. Worry about your own Mesmer builds instead of trying to prevent more from being designed.



    Edit: Oh, and for the record? Sword/X Mesmers summon illusions faster than Staff Mesmers can. Sword/Sword does it the fastest, if they're being attacked and use Riposte properly.
    Of course, Scepter may be even faster than that since the third part of it's chain will summon a clone. We'll have to see actual gameplay to find out.
    Last edited by DrakeWurrum; 2012-03-06 at 03:09 PM.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  7. #307
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Deneiro View Post
    I wanna do like a dual sword/ sword and scepter or even dual sword/ staff build and it will relay on clones for tricking and phantasm's for damaging while I go in and attack up close and when things get dangerous pop invisibility run a little while the clones and phantasm do their thing i can switch to sword and scepter heal then throw some conditions from afar to set them up for shatter by tht time if they r not dead i can use mirror image to summon to clones and have them thing they r attack me for a bit switch to dual sword and finish them off I kinda have a build but i could use some help I'm thinking of getting rid of veil of invisibility for either blink,distortion, portal entre, or signet of inspiration not sure which, but plz give me your input hmm well seems like i cant post the link so i'll just say the skills i did i put 30 points in dueling. Major skills are Blade Training, Empowering Mantra Phantasm Fury. 10 in Domination with Empowered Illusion, 10 in Chaos for Illusionary Defense, 20 in illusion with Compounding Power, Malicious Scepter. On the Utility list I have Decoy, Mirror Image, Veil of Invisibility, Mass Invisibility
    Just curious, but why are you going to take the Empowering Mantra trait if you're not bringing any mantras? And what do you plan on using WITH your scepter, since the scepter is a main hand weapon you can use an off hand with it. And how you plan on playing is almost how i plan on playing except i plan to rely super heavily on the illusions/phantasams and just kinda mind fuck the enemy with most likely cry of frustration or diversion shatters everytime i get 3 illusions so i can make room for more >=D!
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  8. #308
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    I personally like the idea of going Sword/Sword and Scepter/Torch. Heavy illusion spam, with plenty of focus in shatters. I noticed that Scepter/Torch is a very defensive weapon set, in applying Confusion and Blind to enemies, plus Retaliation to allies (phantasm does that anyways), plus the stealth ability. And then both summon clones very quickly. So I think they complement each other rather nicely!
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  9. #309
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    There is no "caster class" or "ranged class" in GW2. Again, this isn't WoW.

    Warriors can be viable as an entirely ranged build. Elementalists can be entirely viable as a short-range build with daggers. Rangers can be entirely viable with a melee only build. Mesmers can be melee focused with Sword-based builds, or ranged with Greatsword or Staff builds.
    .
    QFT
    /10charr

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 09:33 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I personally like the idea of going Sword/Sword and Scepter/Torch. Heavy illusion spam, with plenty of focus in shatters. I noticed that Scepter/Torch is a very defensive weapon set, in applying Confusion and Blind to enemies, plus Retaliation to allies (phantasm does that anyways), plus the stealth ability. And then both summon clones very quickly. So I think they complement each other rather nicely!
    lol i'm more of those 2 extremes person, like i love stealth, and i love big aoes that scream HEY PEOPLE IM OVER HERE!! So i was going to go with sword/torch for some illusion spamming subterfuge and staff so i can be chaos incarnate
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  10. #310
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    My only problem is in picking utilities for my playstyle. I dislike mantras, so that limits me some. I can't decide if Mirror Images is too redundant or not. ><
    I might just have to suck it up and use mantras in the end - it'll require experimentation.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  11. #311
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    My only problem is in picking utilities for my playstyle. I dislike mantras, so that limits me some. I can't decide if Mirror Images is too redundant or not. ><
    I have mantra of Daze, Decoy, and Mirrored Feedback as my utilities in my "build" I have a feeling Mirrored Feedback will be hilarious lol
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  12. #312
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    I have mantra of Daze, Decoy, and Mirrored Feedback as my utilities in my "build" I have a feeling Mirrored Feedback will be hilarious lol
    It depends on how that skill works. I haven't seen it in action. If it moves WITH the enemy, I definitely want to get it. Would make for a great escape mechanism, among other things.

    I'm tempted to get Mantra of Daze just because it's nice to at least have one interrupt, but I dislike the cast time necessary to charge it after each use.

    I'm positive, at least, that I want Decoy and Blink. I might just round it off with Distortion.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  13. #313
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Just curious, but why are you going to take the Empowering Mantra trait if you're not bringing any mantras? And what do you plan on using WITH your scepter, since the scepter is a main hand weapon you can use an off hand with it. And how you plan on playing is almost how i plan on playing except i plan to rely super heavily on the illusions/phantasams and just kinda mind fuck the enemy with most likely cry of frustration or diversion shatters everytime i get 3 illusions so i can make room for more >=D!
    Well in all honesty i cant think of anything other then empowering mantra maybe i should go with retaliatory shield lol or maybe the pistol one and i plan on using maybe sword off hand to keep summoning more illusions or maybe pistol off hand to stay a distance or maybe torch for a clone summon then a invisibility get away lol so i can reposition myself

  14. #314
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    It depends on how that skill works. I haven't seen it in action. If it moves WITH the enemy, I definitely want to get it. Would make for a great escape mechanism, among other things.

    I'm tempted to get Mantra of Daze just because it's nice to at least have one interrupt, but I dislike the cast time necessary to charge it after each use.

    I'm positive, at least, that I want Decoy and Blink. I might just round it off with Distortion.
    PFFFT who needs defensive CD's when you can apply extreme amounts of confusion with traited cry of frustration? And if you're curious how i plan to play my mesmer, i just look at the skills and think "Now how can i be the biggest ass hole ever....."
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  15. #315
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Keep in mind that one of the Dueling traits that have been revealed is actually missing from the skill tool, and it's my favorite one so far:

    Deceptive Decoy Cloak and leave a clone of yourself behind at 25% health.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  16. #316
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Deneiro View Post
    Well in all honesty i cant think of anything other then empowering mantra maybe i should go with retaliatory shield lol or maybe the pistol one and i plan on using maybe sword off hand to keep summoning more illusions or maybe pistol off hand to stay a distance or maybe torch for a clone summon then a invisibility get away lol so i can reposition myself
    Well sword/sword has a clone summon/block (riposte) as well as a phantasm summon, and i think they said there's supposed to be 12 major traits per trait line so there's a good chance something that will suite your fancy will show up by launch =D!

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 09:48 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Keep in mind that one of the Dueling traits that have been revealed is actually missing from the skill tool, and it's my favorite one so far:
    Mother of god..... i must have that....
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  17. #317
    The Insane DrakeWurrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Isle of Faces
    Posts
    15,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    PFFFT who needs defensive CD's when you can apply extreme amounts of confusion with traited cry of frustration? And if you're curious how i plan to play my mesmer, i just look at the skills and think "Now how can i be the biggest ass hole ever....."
    Remember that Confusion only causes them to take damage when they use skills. So if they have enough HP to survive dealing you a killing blow, they will.

    It's obviously more fun to have them confused, with Mirrored Feedback on them, only to have retaliation on yourself after the fact. But if you're near death and desperately need to get away, for whatever reason, I see Mirrored Feedback as a good way to do that. :P

    Course, I'd rather use Distortion or Decoy or both and run run run.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

    If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

  18. #318
    The Lightbringer Durzlla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    3,650
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    Remember that Confusion only causes them to take damage when they use skills. So if they have enough HP to survive dealing you a killing blow, they will.

    It's obviously more fun to have them confused, with Mirrored Feedback on them, only to have retaliation on yourself after the fact. But if you're near death and desperately need to get away, for whatever reason, I see Mirrored Feedback as a good way to do that. :P

    Course, I'd rather use Distortion or Decoy or both and run run run.
    Oh don't worry Decoy will be my, "Lawlz i'm outta here!!" move that i'll be popping at low health just to sneak back after a heal xD. And yes, the confusion + mirrored feedback is exactly waht i want to be doing!! And also keep in mind confusion stacks in intensity, and in the reddit interview they said when it's around max stack it will be doing a good amount of damage and will really make them think "Do i -really- need to cast that ability now?"
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

  19. #319
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    There is no "caster class" or "ranged class" in GW2. Again, this isn't WoW.
    As you clearly have never played Guild wars 1 I can understand why you would fail to comprehend the simple concepts of caster vs ranged vs melee.
    These are definitly very much present in both GW1 and GW2, altho in a very different form than what you may be used to from WoW.
    As such I would, before I begin explaining to you how these concepts work, like to point out that you are the one uncapable of thinking outside the box as you are unable to think of a caster in another way than what you have represented in WoW.

    Now, on to the good part: An elementalist wielding daggers are still casting spells, The elementalist remains a caster and does not magically become a melee-class simply because the spells it cast have a shorter range, this is in guild wars known as "touch-range" skills, these skills were mostly used by the necromancer in GW1 but as you see they're pretty much all the dagger-wielding elementalist use. Melee-class? No. Short-range caster? Yes.
    While there are builds availible for Rangers to be melee, you probably will not be running a pure melee build as the class offers alot more versatility if you combine the 2 by holding one weaponset for closer range and 1 weaponset for long range, obviously tho this is a outrageous idea as mixing the 2 is a crime.
    On to the Mesmer! Yes, you can play the mesmer at short range, mostly through the sword tho (The greatsword is actually used to cast spells at range, look it up.)
    however even with the sword there is but 1 skill that is actually a 'melee' skill(Harpoon also has 1 btw, 'Stab') and that is Mind slash, it builds up to mind gash and mind stab tho.

    Now looking at it in this light, we can clearly see that out of all the mesmer skills availible, there is actually no viability to call it a 'melee' class, or a ranged class, it is simply a spellcaster.

    I'll give you this tho: If they do decide to make a pistol and make it so that all the skills are basically adding conditions, I'd be perfectly fine with considering it a casterweapon, however I still see no reason for them to implement this.

    Hell, I think Pistol/Torch could be a neat weapon set to play around with, depending on what skills a pistol would bring.
    Doesn't sound a bit more interesting than sword / torch would

    You don't even know what kind of skills the Pistol would have that could complement other Mesmer builds. Worry about your own Mesmer builds instead of trying to prevent more from being designed.
    I'm not making a mesmer build until retail, I'm purposely avoiding playing or planning for the character to keep it fresh once the real game starts.
    Noone is preventing you from designing more builds, you're however attempting to alter the class to suit your build rather than work with what is actually present in the game.

    Answer this tho: Do the mesmer have less weapons than the other classes?

  20. #320
    Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Well sword/sword has a clone summon/block (riposte) as well as a phantasm summon, and i think they said there's supposed to be 12 major traits per trait line so there's a good chance something that will suite your fancy will show up by launch =D!

    ---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 09:48 AM ----------



    Mother of god..... i must have that....
    Well tbh sword/sword was the main thing i was gonna use scepter was going to be the thing i switch to to keep clones up and stuff so sword and sword i not worried about lol im more worried about picking utilities and traits which i think i might not 100% sure but i think i might have the traits down lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •