Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    Funny how it's easier to get decent customer support in Guild Wars than in WoW.
    Ever wondered why people use keywords (like suicide, stuck etc) in their tickets in WoW? To avoid the 10 hours wait for ticket to get answered.
    Ever thought of that you arent the only person to write a ticket?

Lets assume WoW has 5 million different accounts logged in in 7 days, and even if 25% of this people write a ticket it'd be 1,7m people having a problem the customer service has to take care of. 10 hours wait time is actually AWESOME if you compare it to real life situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftero View Post
    I don't get the problem with NCSoft. People seem to have a problem with them. It's like Steam, I hear tons of people complain about "losing their account" and other stuff, but I've never had any problem, even when contacting customer support. I think people just go about it the wrong way. *shrug*

Also, if Guild Wars 1 managed to last as long as it has right now, I don't think Guild Wars 2 is going to have a problem either.
    Ever heard of Lineage II?

GW never had a problem with bots, because it wasnt an MMO - but GW2 is going to be an enternaliy different game. Prepare for the worst with someone like NCSoft having their hands on this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    That's because EA's customer service sucks.

Too bad to, because people are so tailored to having amazing customer service through Blizzard.
    His point was that P2P doesn't automatically magically mean good customer service, and B2P doesn't instantly mean bad customer service.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Broloth View Post
    That's because EA's customer service sucks.

Too bad to, because people are so tailored to having amazing customer service through Blizzard.
    Im going to disagree, EA does pretty well, I had them call me within 10 minutes of requesting, and had my SWTOR refunded cause its a bad game, from that experience alone I found them to be more then satisfactory.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UcanDoSht View Post
    GW never had a problem with bots, because it wasnt an MMO - but GW2 is going to be an enternaliy different game. Prepare for the worst with someone like NCSoft having their hands on this game.
    GW has a problem with bots, just go to JQ or FA and see for yourself. In this case players should do a mea culpa, they whine about it but almost no one reports anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Delias View Post
    And the collector is still "I have 10 out of the 11 possible tuxedo shirts."
    I'm saying, if they don't add anything to the cash shop that will conflict with completionists, they can't add anything to the cash shop ever.
    The difference is, the game doesn't have a UI element that tells you "You have 10 out of 11 tuxedo shirts. Just one more and you have them all!". But with achievements it does.

What exactly are bots going to do in GW2? There is nothing of functional value in the game for them hoard. The best stuff is just cosmetic & tucked away in difficult dungeons or elite events- which players come to by course. Also loot is assigned to individual players specifically.

Bots need a commodity.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What exactly are bots going to do in GW2? There is nothing of functional value in the game for them hoard. The best stuff is just cosmetic & tucked away in difficult dungeons or elite events- which players come to by course. Also loot is assigned to individual players specifically.

Bots need a commodity.
    I'm sure they'll bot for crafting mats, random world drops... and I'm sure there'll be a market for botting fully-levelled toons (though that market will be fairly small I believe).

Quote Originally Posted by Borzo View Post
    I'm sure they'll bot for crafting mats, random world drops... and I'm sure there'll be a market for botting fully-levelled toons (though that market will be fairly small I believe).
    They wouldn't be able to bot really to max level, killing just mobs doesn't give you anywhere near the exp that events do and you can't bot events easily since they have such a huge amount of possibilities that change how the events work, and where they currently are.

Ex. Mobs attack village > you defend village > you attack where the mobs came from > other mobs try to invade that spot that is empty > etc

and each of those events have other possibilities if you win lose or decide to take an entirely different route to the problem.

Plus they said that leveling 1-15, the normal way (i.e. you do events), takes about 10 hours. If you just grind mobs, you're not going to be anywhere near that time.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Crafting stuff is bound to same problem as trying to sell an axe- no one really gives a shit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Exhaust View Post
    To build on this post, Every MMO to date that has said to be a WoW Killer were all super hyped, die out after a month or 2 and never reached what was said they would. Pple just gotta relax and wait to the game and see if it will be as good, cause you set your expectations to high and than hype dies and you lose interest and the same cycle returns.
    Is what you say **....

Crafting stuff is bound to same problem as trying to sell an axe- no one really gives a shit.
    People will need crafting mats and random drops. While the market for these things might not be strong, it still might be enough to make it worth botting for them.

---------- Post added 2012-02-28 at 12:12 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    They wouldn't be able to bot really to max level, killing just mobs doesn't give you anywhere near the exp that events do and you can't bot events easily since they have such a huge amount of possibilities that change how the events work, and where they currently are.

Ex. Mobs attack village > you defend village > you attack where the mobs came from > other mobs try to invade that spot that is empty > etc

and each of those events have other possibilities if you win lose or decide to take an entirely different route to the problem.

Plus they said that leveling 1-15, the normal way (i.e. you do events), takes about 10 hours. If you just grind mobs, you're not going to be anywhere near that time.
    I'm sure there will be areas where there will be constant and consistent mobs. It might not make it worthwhile to bot-level, but who knows - it might be worth it since the investment might be pretty low. $60 is still high, but if the game's price drops after a year, I'm sure these botters will become noticeably more frequent.

People will need crafting mats and random drops. While the market for these things might not be strong, it still might be enough to make it worth botting for them
    Are there bots intelligent enough to navigate the terrain sufficiently well while searching for random spawn point nodes? Without mounts, I'd think it'd be quite difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Dacomp89 View Post
    Are there bots intelligent enough to navigate the terrain sufficiently well while searching for random spawn point nodes? Without mounts, I'd think it'd be quite difficult.
    There are some REALLY intelligent bots out there, and I'm sure they can be adapted for GW2. It'll be a bit hard, yes... but it still might be worth it. I'd be VERY surprised if we didn't see bots within the first month or so. It won't be as worth it as in WOW, but it will probably still be worth it enough to have some in GW2.

I'm sure there will be areas where there will be constant and consistent mobs. It might not make it worthwhile to bot-level, but who knows - it might be worth it since the investment might be pretty low. $60 is still high, but if the game's price drops after a year, I'm sure these botters will become noticeably more frequent.
    Yes there are, but like I said, grinding just mobs will not get you even remotely close to leveling using DE's. Hypothetically it would be like doing a quest gave you 1000 exp, and killing one mob would give you 20 exp. It might not be as low as that, but that's how drastic the difference is.

There are some REALLY intelligent bots out there, and I'm sure they can be adapted for GW2. It'll be a bit hard, yes... but it still might be worth it. I'd be VERY surprised if we didn't see bots within the first month or so. It won't be as worth it as in WOW, but it will probably still be worth it enough to have some in GW2.
    Nodes in game use an algorithm that makes nodes spawn randomly in the world, not fixed locations with maybe a random timer like in other MMOs. So any X, Y, Z variable is usable and can spawn nodes.
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-02-28 at 05:20 PM.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic

Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Yes there are, but like I said, grinding just mobs will not get you even remotely close to leveling using DE's. Hypothetically it would be like doing a quest gave you 1000 exp, and killing one mob would give you 20 exp. It might not be as low as that, but that's how drastic the difference is.
    Yeah but if it's a bot and there's no sub fees, it doesn't really matter how long it takes, it'll eventually get the character to level 80. I'm sure they'll also find a few of the more basic/simple DEs, and perhaps just run those over and over and over again as well.

Nodes in game use an algorithm that makes nodes spawn randomly in the world, not fixed locations with maybe a random timer like in other MMOs. So any X, Y, Z variable is usable and can spawn nodes.
    So they'll have to get a bot that runs around an area looking for the random spawns. It's not simple to design, but not impossible either. Where there's a will, there's a way.

I fail to see bots being a problem. They may be present, but will they be a problem? I personally won't care if others bot in GW2. I'll report any I see though. I can't really think of anything bots can do that will disrupt another player's experience. Gathering mats? The worse that will do is water down the economy a bit. Leveling up? No player should care about the leveling of another player. It isn't competitive like many mmos. Stand in WvW? I'm sure there will be a contribution time out.

Botting is a problem in most mmos because it gives a substantial advantage over other players in a competitive enviorment. Botting will have a minimal effect in GW2 in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Gisei View Post
    I fail to see bots being a problem. They may be present, but will they be a problem? I personally won't care if others bot in GW2. I'll report any I see though. I can't really think of anything bots can do that will disrupt another player's experience. Gathering mats? The worse that will do is water down the economy a bit. Leveling up? No player should care about the leveling of another player. It isn't competitive like many mmos. Stand in WvW? I'm sure there will be a contribution time out.

Botting is a problem in most mmos because it gives a substantial advantage over other players in a competitive enviorment. Botting will have a minimal effect in GW2 in my opinion.
    I've never really thought of botting as being as bad as people make it out to be.

I mean, I can log on to WOW and buy raw crafting mats for 20% of what they'd be if humans had to gather the mats. It's good for me... perhaps bad for the human "farmers"... but there's plenty of other ways to make money. I don't mind bots doing the boring/tedious work for the community. They lower prices and free up human players' time. It's a good deal if you ask me.

Levelling isn't a big issue in other MMORPGs either. I mean the "real" game doesn't start until max level in most games anyways. And I don't think you can bot through top-level raid content. Botting just gets rid of the 1-maxlevel tedium. GW2 hopefully won't have grinds like the honor-farming-grind in WOW. Those kinds of advantages won't be available - I agree.

So while the motivation to bot will be hugely reduced, I'm still pretty sure there will be some out there, since there will always be people who are like "Shit, I have 5 level 80 toons... I want an 80 Mesmer, but I've levelled through all the zones already and don't wanna see the content again." And gold sellers will always make some amount of gold from bot-farming crafting mats. It'll take longer and they'll get less gold, but it's still something that will have a $USD value attached to it.

Botting flourishes in games where heavy grind is present. Because the commodity they are ultimately trading in is ease.

Once again, no one is really gonna give two flips about the axe dropped off a veteran rhino.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never really thought of botting as being as bad as people make it out to be.

I mean, I can log on to WOW and buy raw crafting mats for 20% of what they'd be if humans had to gather the mats. It's good for me... perhaps bad for the human "farmers"... but there's plenty of other ways to make money. I don't mind bots doing the boring/tedious work for the community. They lower prices and free up human players' time. It's a good deal if you ask me.
    The gold they make is used in gold selling services, which in turn will only cause them to turn around and hack accounts back to make even more money.

Edit: But, like Fencers said, if you remove grind from a game, I don't see much point in trying to bot it. They can try, but they won't find any profit from it in GW2, because there are no practices that people will try to avoid doing.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Botting flourishes in games where heavy grind is present. Because the commodity they are ultimately trading in is ease.

Once again, no one is really gonna give two flips about the axe dropped off a veteran rhino.
    What about long and tedious grinds for cosmetic gear? What if it takes MONTHS of grinding to get it. I'm sure someone will pay for a toon with all their faction points maxed out or something, who has all the fancy grind-based cosmetic gear.

(Now, if ANet SELLS those in the online shop for $$$ already... then that'll change things up for sure, I agree.)