So I just reached 50

About 30 minutes ago. Had to do the Sanctum Chronicle for planar attunement. And Shadaravia or whatever it is was rather annoying. Running circles around that spider while my Zod (earth elemental) stood there and smacked it wasn't exactly the most fun in the world. Level 50 high elf mage (elementalist/chloromancer/storm caller). No guild . Haven't done much of anything else.

Hopefully I can find some fun stuffs to do tomorrow (bit late tonight, for me, so logged off). Let's just say that I am so glad that I am a chloromancer as well, or I would have died a few too many times in that chronicle. Curious if anyone has any advice on where is an easy place to farm spellspun/witchweave/soulhide, as these last 5 levels I used the Instant Adventure system, which wasn't exactly the most reliable method of getting any of those.

Not sure how to head over to Ember Isle, or if it would be wise to do so as a newly dinged 50 with some spellspun crafted greens and a few other quest rewards.

So, any advice on where to farm those 3 crafting mats, and how to go about heading over to Ember Isle, would be very nice. Just wish I could like dungeons more (only done 2, Realm of the Fae and the one in Scarlet Gorge, plus that chronicle).

http://rift.zam.com/

My recommendation is to start doing daily raid rifts that you see in 50 chat. There is a daily you get in Sanctum and Meridian. Also check out the planar gear from the vendors and be sure to goto the zone events you see.

The port to ember is right outside Sanctum under the bridge and outside Meridian if you are defiant. Also start doing Instant Adventures that is a option. The LFG queue is way faster at end game compared to leveling since the game is top end heavy.

Congrats Pachy!

If I had an alt just hitting 50, here's what I'd do:

1. Uncover any level 45+ cairn I haven't found yet. Good chance of a blue or purple.
    2. Purchase the best crafted gear I can find, barring that, the best gear I can afford. Goal: 100 hit and X intellect (not sure what mages need for expert dungeons)
    2. Research solo grinding specs, IA specs, and dungeon specs.
    3. Use your solo grinding spec to attempt to solo more chronicles and be sure to do them daily (gear drops, consumables, dungeon plaques).

No particular order: Grind IA for cloth, money, drops and easy XP / Run the normal level 50 dungeons a few times / Visit Ember Isle and see how much trouble the opening quests give you.

Soon as you're comfortable with a dungeon spec and you have 100+ hit, try the Expert Dungeons.

Last Suggestion: As you learn the layout of Ember Isle, be sure to start participating in Onslaughts and Boss events. You're going to want to earn approximately 600 Inscribed Sourcestones as soon as possible for planar essences.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    About 30 minutes ago. Had to do the Sanctum Chronicle for planar attunement. And Shadaravia or whatever it is was rather annoying. Running circles around that spider while my Zod (earth elemental) stood there and smacked it wasn't exactly the most fun in the world. Level 50 high elf mage (elementalist/chloromancer/storm caller). No guild . Haven't done much of anything else.

Hopefully I can find some fun stuffs to do tomorrow (bit late tonight, for me, so logged off). Let's just say that I am so glad that I am a chloromancer as well, or I would have died a few too many times in that chronicle. Curious if anyone has any advice on where is an easy place to farm spellspun/witchweave/soulhide, as these last 5 levels I used the Instant Adventure system, which wasn't exactly the most reliable method of getting any of those.

Not sure how to head over to Ember Isle, or if it would be wise to do so as a newly dinged 50 with some spellspun crafted greens and a few other quest rewards.

So, any advice on where to farm those 3 crafting mats, and how to go about heading over to Ember Isle, would be very nice. Just wish I could like dungeons more (only done 2, Realm of the Fae and the one in Scarlet Gorge, plus that chronicle).
    What? The Shadavarian encounter is amazing. It felt like a real boss fight that was soloable. Probably cause you had a pet. Trust me its alot more fun without one, since you can't just ignore his mechanics.

Well, my solo grinding spec is what I have used since about level... 25? Elementalist/Chloro/Stormcaller has kept me alive through some hairy situations. But I will look into some specs that would be useful in IAs. So, I want to get 600 ISS? Good lord that's gonna be a while. I will probably attempt one of the other chronicles with the spec I used in leveling, to see how that goes.

As for Shadavarian... His death ray was rather annoying. I was able to ignore his impale and swipe, but his death ray is why I ran circles around him, putting up my Radiant Spores for Zod, and Ignite to help him do more damage (+crit chance talent thingy in elem), tossing out Ruin and Cloudburst as I ran and ran and ran.

As for gear, I made him an outfitter so I could craft my own, as there isn't much level 50 gear that I can purchase with 50p and not be flat broke. So far he has 14 dungeon plaques (got them from the 1.5 world event, with the mossy tartagon mount and the dragon tear currency), which doesn't buy anything. I will check out the portal to see how badly I get stomped in EI. I was able to solo a major death rift through the 4th stage (didn't beat the 4th stage quick enough to advance further), the one with the wolf shadow and werewolf shadow, in Stillmoor. Just wish IA was more reliable for the cloth and hides. Just need 20 points in outfitter to get to 300. Just learned to make the spellspun bag.

Don't buy craftable gear outright.
    Where possible gather all the mats for yourself, even buying all the mats individually and paying 5p for someone to craft the item is better than buying it off the Auction House, it's always a ripoff.

I wouldn't recommend Ember Isle at this point, the mobs will take for too long to kill by yourself and you will die a lot. The exception is if there is an invasion try to get there for the boss fight for some quick and easy ISS.

Recently my alt hit 50 and I didn't give it any money or assistance. I just ran normal mode level 48+ dungeons until I had the Focus/Hit for experts and then spammed them for a while. Currently I'm doing a lot of PuG raids since I have most of the dungeon gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post

I wouldn't recommend Ember Isle at this point, the mobs will take for too long to kill by yourself and you will die a lot. The exception is if there is an invasion try to get there for the boss fight for some quick and easy ISS.
    Haha yup, someone told me I should do this, and them were some tough quests for a new player, with no gear and experience xD

Congrats Pachy, welcome to the 50 club

My first piece of advice is to find a nice guild that suits your style of play. Every MMO is better when you have people to do stuff with, so find a guild.

If you're wanting to level outfitter, do you have butcher? With butchering you can collect all the leather skins from various beasts yourself and finish levelling outfitter by making leather items. Save any cloth that you get for making yourself some gear once you are 300 in skill.

For farming cloth dungeons tend to be best afaik, if you get into dungeons with friends or guildies, ask if they can let you have the cloth. Not sure if strangers can trade stuff to you in dungeons especially if they are cross server, but if you ask politely at the start most people are probably okay either trading you cloth or letting you do the looting so you get a nice chunk of it

If you were on an EU server I'd load up an alt with the cloth and server transfer it over for you. Maybe someone else might be so kind for a regular MMO-C poster

Next up, do you have an iPhone or Android based device? If so do you have the RIFT Mobile app? It's still in beta right now and may crash now and then, but playing the scratch card game 'Planar Invasion' will net you Inscribed Sourcestone, planarite and Eternal Planar Dust. The first two are invaluable for buying gear (most notably the best in slot essence from the vendors in your capital) and Eternal Planar Dust is widely used in creating epic quality items. In the three weeks since the app launched I've had probably 80+ ISS, and maybe 50 EPDs.

600 ISS sounds a lot, but if you attend the invasions in Iron Pine Peaks, Stillmoor, Shimmersand and Ember Isle (do the opening quests there to get the seven portals at least!) they soon mount up. Always try to make it to the last boss. Invasions on my own realm tend to be every 30-45mins on average (that's across all four end game zones, not per zone). I've made over 800 ISS in about three weeks or so, and they can be used to buy some amazing items from vendors too (equivalent to raid Tier 2 quality, but those cost about 500 ISS). You could make more than this easily, I am limited in the amount of hours I can play by RL work, family time etc.

Definitely run the Chronicles for blue quality gear, here is an awesome solo build for newbies that will give moderate damage and healing, and here is a guide to the spec. The guide is a little old, but still mostly accurate and the build for solo is unchanged.

Also, dig around this endgame guides post by Bluedots, Bluedots hosts the ultimate mage resource for RIFT mages, and as you find yourself wanting to investigate more about mage specs, stats, rotations etc, this is the place to go. Any questions posted here will be answered by some of the most knowledgeable mages in the game.

That's all I got for now, hope it helps, have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Tarien View Post
    Any questions posted here will be answered by some of the most knowledgeable mages in the game.
    They also let me contribute!

The best way to get ISS is to do your regular stuff and whenever you see a boss spawning for an invasion, port in and throw enough hits in to get credit. Much easier said than done on PvP servers. <3 Seastone

Yeah, sometimes I wish that I could get my characters onto an EU shard... Although the time difference would be a bit much, although then I would probably be able to raid with a guild since I would be 5 (?) hours behind instead of 3 ahead. Makes me sad that all NA shards are Pacific time and I live on eastern time. As for the Mobile App, I wish. Unfortunately, I have no phone to get it with, otherwise I would probably have it. And I usually try to get into the invasions and get to the last boss to get the stone, at least.

Oh, and edit: My mage is outfitter/butcher/forager for professions. Outfitter is around 280 or 285, butcher is around 260, and forager is around 265. I have a quest item for butchering that will get me a new type of leather to make, but I need to get it to 280 first.
    Last edited by Pachycrocuta; 2012-02-26 at 05:36 PM.