Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

[Music] Melodic Metal

A lot of people in the "Peoples hate for metal..." thread seem to be under the belief that all metal is nothing but grindcore, or brutal death metal or more broadly that it always includes growling vocals and is universally aggressive or angry. This is not true and this thread is to those who seem to think that it is. There are sub-genres in it that are actually mostly pure 'clean vocals'.

These include Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Gothic Metal, Symphonic Metal, Viking Metal and more styles between them (such as neo-classical).

Power metal is a style of heavy metal combining characteristics of traditional metal with speed metal, often within symphonic context. The term refers to two different but related styles: the first pioneered and largely practiced in North America with a harder sound similar to speed metal, and a later more widespread and popular style based in Europe (especially Germany, Finland, Italy, Scandinavia), Argentina, Brazil, and Japan with a lighter, more melodic sound and frequent use of keyboards.
    Some examples:

Deleted
    You could add doom metal there too since there is absolutely nothing extreme about traditional or epic doom.

(Akelei's excellent debut album, De Zwaarte Van Het Doorstane (Burden of the Weathered) is downloadable freely and legally from here.
    Last edited by mmocbbd281298f; 2012-02-26 at 08:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Heaven can waaaaaait! If that's not melodic, I dunno what is!

Also, Melodic death metal. Love CoB, despise Norther.... Norther's vocals suck!

Deleted

I listen to metal day in and day out, it's really one of the only genres I truly enjoy and can immerse myself in.
    But I've never heard of "Melodic Metal"
    I know of Melodic Death Metal (my favorite genre of metal), but not melodic metal.
    Could you explain to me what that is exactly?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyriaa View Post
    I listen to metal day in and day out, it's really one of the only genres I truly enjoy and can immerse myself in.
    But I've never heard of "Melodic Metal"
    I know of Melodic Death Metal (my favorite genre of metal), but not melodic metal.
    Could you explain to me what that is exactly?
    It isn't.

Just metal music that is... melodic. Can be Death, Power, Prog. whatever. This thread is the answer to those who keep insisting that Metal is nothing more than brutal death metal or grindcore.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    A lot of people in the "Peoples hate for metal..." thread seem to be under the belief that all metal is nothing but grindcore, or brutal death metal or more broadly that it always includes growling vocals and is universally aggressive or angry. This is not true and this thread is to those who seem to think that it is. There are sub-genres in it that are actually mostly pure 'clean vocals'.

These include Power Metal, Progressive Metal, Gothic Metal, Symphonic Metal, Viking Metal and more styles between them (such as neo-classical).

Some examples:

the 2nd and 3rd song sounds like Nickelback and the 4th sounds like Evanesence but thats just my opion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    the 2nd and 3rd song sounds like Nickelback and the 4th sounds like Evanesence but thats just my opion
    Not sure if serious...

Not sure if serious...
    dead serious the fairyland song is like Evanesene hit Wake me up inside which is melodic and has a guy and a girl singing together and then goes from melodic to a lil heavy

look up any nickelback video or song and its pretty dam similar to the 2nd to songs he posted. not saying i hate it i actually like some evanesence and nickelback
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

Deleted
    dead serious the fairyland song is like Evanesene hit Wake me up inside which is melodic and has a guy and a girl singing together and then goes from melodic to a lil heavy

look up any nickelback video or song and its pretty dam similar to the 2nd to songs he posted. not saying i hate it i actually like some evanesence and nickelback
    Uh, just no.

I know what both songs sound like and, just no. They're not the same.

10+ Year Old Account

Melodic Metal at its finest.

Uh, just no.

I know what both songs sound like and, just no. They're not the same.
    didnt say its the same i said its similar and does have more than 1 similarity hence both start out melodic both start out with a guy and a girl singing to eachother and then gets heavier which makes them similar

10+ Year Old Account

One of the best Metal bands in history, no one can deny this...

Deleted
    didnt say its the same i said its similar and does have more than 1 similarity hence both start out melodic both start out with a guy and a girl singing to eachother and then gets heavier which makes them similar
    Uh, okay so they both have a male and a female singing and that's about the end of their similarities...

Never mind the totally different melodies, different lyrical themes, different instrumentation and feel. As for Nickleback being similar to Wintersun... you have to be trolling, literally.

THEIR SONGS ARE GREAT. A must listen song!

10+ Year Old Account

These guys are pretty sweet as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kivimetsan View Post

[Dark Tranquillity] One of the best Metal bands in history, no one can deny this...
    Absolutely. so amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Needalight View Post

THEIR SONGS ARE GREAT. A must listen song!
    I agree with you completely.

10+ Year Old Account

Favorite

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like many of these songs...at least up until the lyrics kick in. Bleh. Somehow it just turns me off to the rest of the song. I'm not sure I can explain why I don't really like the singing. Just not really my thing, I guess. Oh well.