Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Deleted
    Russia. Hands down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eriseis View Post
    It's actually interesting how the American anthem is peaceful and tranquil when the U.S. has been involved in so many wars.

My only issue with Banner is people who sing it with gimmicky elements a la American Idol.
    Then, let this one will do...

"America the Beautiful" should've been USA's national anthem.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    It's actually interesting how the American anthem is peaceful and tranquil when the U.S. has been involved in so many wars.

My only issue with Banner is people who sing it with gimmicky elements a la American Idol.
    I would argue that it is actually quite fiery. The words describe the scene of a heated battle of the Defence of Fort McHenry, from the perspective of an anxious and wary citizen who is unsure whether the fort he has been fighting to defend still belongs to the American people, fighting for autonomy, and if their flag still flied at its top. There is a lot of suspense and drama in the song and I think that is why it is so memorable and appealing.

Also, I think that is an inevitable consequence of the U.S. being such a relatively young nation. I understand, though, it is a shame that it can get a little overplayed and performed by some shockingly insincere and self-absorbed 'pop singers'.

OT: I also actually love 'Dixieland', the anthem of the fleeting Confederate States of America. It's just so chirpy and upbeat!
    Last edited by mmocf558c230a5; 2012-02-26 at 04:43 PM. Reason: fact-check. derp.

Deleted
    Australia's

As i see it God Save the Queen should be for the United Kindgom (for events where its for United Kingdom, so England, Scotland and Wales) or a royal is present.
    The hymn, Jerusalem should be the English national Anthemn

Star Spangled Banner.
    Last edited by anveena; 2012-02-26 at 05:20 PM.

I believe the US National Anthem is the best for what it represents. It tells a story about the brave men who defended the city of Baltimore against the British during the War of 1812. And to those who say the Soviet Union...no way. That song represents everything that is evil and wrong in this world. You might as well play the anthem of the Nazis.

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 10:14 AM ----------

You are welcome. You know maybe next time somebody invades your country, maybe we don't come to your aid.

---------- Post added 2012-02-26 at 10:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    I would argue that it is actually quite fiery. The words describe the scene of a heated battle of the War of Independence, from the perspective of an anxious and wary soldier who is unsure whether the fort he has been fighting to defend still belongs to the American people, fighting for autonomy, and if their flag still flied at its top. There is a lot of suspense and drama in the song and I think that is why it is so memorable and appealing.

Also, I think that is an inevitable consequence of the U.S. being such a relatively young nation. I understand, though, it is a shame that it can get a little overplayed and performed by some shockingly insincere and self-absorbed 'pop singers'.

OT: I also actually love 'Dixieland', the anthem of the fleeting Confederate States of America. It's just so chirpy and upbeat!
    It was the War of 1812 not the American Revolution. LoL and it wasn't from the perspective of a soldier it was of a Poet who was held captive on board a British ship out in the Harbor. Man, where do you get your information?
    Last edited by Eo Jenkins; 2012-02-26 at 04:20 PM.
    "LET TERROR RAIN!!!" ~ Warcraft III

Deleted
    Die Stem van Suid Afrika : South African National Anthem during the Apartheid Regime.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CtsRqm6ncs

Deleted
    While the danish national athem isn't the best we're still pretty good at singing it ^^.

Oh the american national anthem is average at best. I watch the superbowl every year and i'm amazed at how badly the anthem is "preformed" by a singer.

Oh on topic i'd probably go with the russian anthem or the german one for the best anthems, musically speaking ofc.
    Last edited by mmocff76f9a79b; 2012-02-26 at 04:22 PM.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Oh the american national anthem is average at best. I watch the superbowl every year and i'm amazed at how badly the anthem is "preformed" by a singer.
    You should watch out with saying these things, before you know it you'll get lynched for having criticism against it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Oh the american national anthem is average at best. I watch the superbowl every year and i'm amazed how badly the anthem is "preformed" by a singer every year.
    Ask the singers, it's a very difficult song to sing.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

Deleted
    this explains all you need to know.

oh and before any tards who have no idea about al muray start crying...this is only his stage character, he is actually a pretty smart and decent fella

The korean.

Quote Originally Posted by Creeper View Post
    It's not right, but it's not really frowned upon so much either. A man hits a woman and he's a terrible excuse for a human being and should be put in jail. A woman hits a man and the man is a wimp for feeling pain.

Either way, if you have a penis, you lose.

Deleted
    So general choice so far goes something like this:

National Anthem of the Soviet Union (1977) : USSR

Star Spangled Banner : USA

Deutschlandlied : Germany

Kimigayo : Japan

Seem pretty good choices, Out of them I'd probably go German, Despite what I said in the OP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by spaza511 View Post
    Right, I just want to know what everyone thinks is the best national anthem.
    Quite simple really.

To start things off Im gona have to go with one of the following:

God Save the Queen : United Kingdom

La Marseillaise : France

National Anthem of the Russian Federation : Russian Federation (Rather obviously)

P.S Don't just say your own national anthem because its yours, that defeats the point of finding the best.

Thanks for read'in
    'God save the Queen' is England's. Not UK.

I like: Le Marseillaise, O Canada, Star Spangled Banner and Deutschlandlied.

(Oh and Flower of Scotland of course...)
    Last edited by mmoca073264aa8; 2012-02-26 at 04:43 PM.

Deleted
    The Kazakhstan national anthem of course.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astera View Post
    I regard Rule Britannia as the UK's national anthem. I know it officially God Save the Queen but meh.

Rule Britannia and Japan's.

indeed, it should be rule birtannia, much better than god save the queen!

OT: everything sounds better in Russian, so my vote goes towards russias!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eothekingslayer View Post
    It was the War of 1812 not the American Revolution. LoL and it wasn't from the perspective of a soldier it was of a Poet who was held captive on board a British ship out in the Harbor. Man, where do you get your information?
    Thanks for the corrections.

I also forgot to mention one of my favourite anthems, the nationless anthem. The Internationale.
    The message is beautifully idealistic and inspiring. International revolutionary solidarity > patriotism.

The Spanish rendition is my favourite because of the Romantic images it invokes of the tragic fall of the Second Spanish Republic to Franco and the Fascists.

OP, that's like asking "Which country is your most favorite, but you can't say your own because that defeats the purpose."

Sure, A LOT of people are going to favor countries / anthems that aren't their own, but most people are going to say their own.

I'm from the US and I vote Star Spangled Banner, sorry, I broke the rules.

This topic is useless imo because the subjectivity involved just defeats the purpose. For starters, I doubt anyone here has heard all the anthems to say that the "Russian anthem" is the best, and second of all the anthems have different meanings for different people, and I'm certain that for example the Romanian anthem won't be understood by an American whilst a Romanian will find it meaningful and beautiful.

Perhaps you could've created a thread to pick on the worst anthems, in that case I'm sure most people would've said "God save the queen" is quoting Baiyn "uninspiring and just invokes a feeling of serfdom".