Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Projali View Post
    Didn't you know that you have a 12.32 minute window of opportunity after your last bicep curl to drink your glutamine-enhanced, BCAA filled, double-reverse-osmosis whey protein isolate shake or you will automatically have wasted your entire 3 hours at the gym. Your body actually despises having muscle and will do anything it can throughout the day to turn your muscle fibers into adipose tissue. They're lying to you in your anatomy and physiology classes. That's why you need to eat exactly 18.5g of protein every 55 minutes or your biceps will become inverse.

...Am I doing it right?
    It's simply not correct that you only have 12 something minutes to drink your x+y+z+whateveryoulistedshake (please, explain me every word of that drink or I will remain unconvinced till they end of days!) after exercise, this counts for weightlifting, running, playing soccer anything which involves energy metabolism.
    I dont believe that "your body despise having muscles" and that your muscles turn into those fibers into adipose tissue. Adipose tissue is your "fat storage", where glycerol and fatty acids is layered as Triacylglycerol (TG) in the absorbtive state, the state of digestion of substrate after eating a meal.

You have a window of opportunity to strengthen your proteinsynthesis which is something like 2-3 hrs (max!) after finished work, to drink something that would increase your synthesis. Alot think you have to drink some sort of big protein-power-drink powder in order to activate this synthesis, but actually chocolatemilk is on of the best liquids you can drink after working out, and to those of you (and I know you're alot!) who's shaking their heads in rage I will explain why:

After you're done with your work your body will have used energy mostly glycose, but depending on the exercise type and duration. Your body is then interested in filling up these more or less empty storages, in which your liver does a huge amount of work. Becuase weightlifting is an anaerobic kind of exercise your body have to use the glycose stored (as glycogen) in the muscles to activate contraction.
    Milk contains proteins, this we all know. It also contains a decent amount of fat which is needed for the essential proteinsynthesis in the muscles. The adipose tissue are responsible for storing fat which can be split into amino acids and glycerol. Because you have been exercising the adipose tissue (white adipocyte cells) have been transforming TG into amino acids and glycerol for the body to use as energy source, this is floating in your blood steam now in which your muscles will be obtaining by diffusion (although some say that fat and amino acids needs a protein to bind in order to cross the cell membrane I will write simple diffusion for the sake of simplicity).
    Now chocolate milk also contains sugar, which by intake increases the concentration of insulin in your blood and this is a very important feature because the insulin inhibits the breakdown of substrates and stimulates the storaging process.
    These two things combined stimulates your bodys proteinsynthesis along with restoring the glycose concentration in your bloodsteam in order for you to live (5 mmol/l!!!). It's mostly the same thing that protein-powder-shakes do but a much more simplified and often cheaper way to stimulate musclebuilding.

Now for OP's question about losing weight. It's actually as simple as rapecleave states it: Use more calories than you intake, nothing more.

The fitness-instructors, magazine so-called weightloss experts and all the other who tells you that diet is 70% of it is wrong. If you dont burn it, it's not going disappear in thin air just because it's carbohydrates.
    Now, i'm not saying that you can eat whatever you like and still be godlike healthy and skinny, because saturated and trans-fatty acids are not good for your health. Now the difference between saturated and unsaturated fatty acids is merely a double bind between the carbon atoms. The transfatty acids forms when one of the hydrogen atoms along the restuctured carbon chain moves from its naturally occuring position to the opposite of the double bond that separates the 2 carbon atoms.
    Saturated and trans fatty acids are bad for your health because of low-density-lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol which increase in your body when eating fatty things like deep-fried foods, cookies, doughnuts etc.
    LDL is bad because it transports cholesterol to arterial tissue where LDL particles are 1) oxidized to alter their physiochemical properties and 2) taken up by the arterial wall to increase plaque development which can lead heart diseases.

Now, if you're interested in physiology you'll read my wall of text and if not, then just read this: Burn more than you intake: Majik8ball actually have some good points/ideas on how to measure your intake a day, but if you want to know how many calories you burn during say a bicycle run we can calculate that aswell

Quote Originally Posted by omniscience View Post
    It's simply not correct that you only have 12 something minutes to drink your x+y+z+whateveryoulistedshake (please, explain me every word of that drink or I will remain unconvinced till they end of days!) after exercise, this counts for weightlifting, running, playing soccer anything which involves energy metabolism.
    I dont believe that "your body despise having muscles" and that your muscles turn into those fibers into adipose tissue. Adipose tissue is your "fat storage", where glycerol and fatty acids is layered as Triacylglycerol (TG) in the absorbtive state, the state of digestion of substrate after eating a meal.

You have a window of opportunity to strengthen your proteinsynthesis which is something like 2-3 hrs (max!) after finished work, to drink something that would increase your synthesis. Alot think you have to drink some sort of big protein-power-drink powder in order to activate this synthesis, but actually chocolatemilk is on of the best liquids you can drink after working out, and to those of you (and I know you're alot!) who's shaking their heads in rage I will explain why:

After you're done with your work your body will have used energy mostly glycose, but depending on the exercise type and duration. Your body is then interested in filling up these more or less empty storages, in which your liver does a huge amount of work. Becuase weightlifting is an anaerobic kind of exercise your body have to use the glycose stored (as glycogen) in the muscles to activate contraction.
    Milk contains proteins, this we all know. It also contains a decent amount of fat which is needed for the essential proteinsynthesis in the muscles. The adipose tissue are responsible for storing fat which can be split into amino acids and glycerol. Because you have been exercising the adipose tissue (white adipocyte cells) have been transforming TG into amino acids and glycerol for the body to use as energy source, this is floating in your blood steam now in which your muscles will be obtaining by diffusion (although some say that fat and amino acids needs a protein to bind in order to cross the cell membrane I will write simple diffusion for the sake of simplicity).
    Now chocolate milk also contains sugar, which by intake increases the concentration of insulin in your blood and this is a very important feature because the insulin inhibits the breakdown of substrates and stimulates the storaging process.
    These two things combined stimulates your bodys proteinsynthesis along with restoring the glycose concentration in your bloodsteam in order for you to live (5 mmol/l!!!). It's mostly the same thing that protein-powder-shakes do but a much more simplified and often cheaper way to stimulate musclebuilding.
    You realize how low of a concentration .005mol/L is right? I agree chocolate milk is a great pwo drink, though. I doubt many here (who know the basic science behind biologic processes) would disagree.

Saturated fats have a certain benefit to your HDL levels as well and some suggested benefits to testosterone (I honestly haven't seen conclusive evidence of T-level effects, mostly anecdotal or small sample size studies). It's about moderation. An avocado or some peanut butter isn't going to kill your arteries. A couple untrimmed porterhouses and pound of french fries will.

Please refer to my first post in this thread for my real opinions. The one you chose to quote was clearly a jest at the ridiculous bro-science posted previously (if the 12.32 minute time frame wasn't a clue, surely the "biceps become inverse" would tip you off).

Quote Originally Posted by Lockstatus View Post
    Actually he's right, it's not 30-40 mins it's around 12.32 mins after you put the weight down that you NEEEED to ingest your whey+casein+dextrose+musclemilk+5hour energy shake or else your muscles will instantly eat themselves. I am advanced though so after every left hand pinkie curl I slam down half a shake.....ya I go through like 5 gallons of shake each workout.

On a serious note protein ingestion timing should be and is the last concern when trying to put on/maintain muscle. Studies show the anabolic window to be "open" for 24hr after resistance training(ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21289204...some even showing up to 48h!). So drink your whey shake 2/4/10/ or w.e. hours after you lift. The most important is HITTING YOUR MACROS each day. All the "after a workout your muscles are sponges" etc. is a pro mix of broscience and supplement companies marketing.
    I totally want to craft tiny dumbbells to do left hand pinkie curls now.

You realize how low of a concentration .005mol/L is right? I agree chocolate milk is a great pwo drink, though. I doubt many here (who know the basic science behind biologic processes) would disagree.

Saturated fats have a certain benefit to your HDL levels as well and some suggested benefits to testosterone (I honestly haven't seen conclusive evidence of T-level effects, mostly anecdotal or small sample size studies). It's about moderation. An avocado or some peanut butter isn't going to kill your arteries. A couple untrimmed porterhouses and pound of french fries will.

Please refer to my first post in this thread for my real opinions. The one you chose to quote was clearly a jest at the ridiculous bro-science posted previously (if the 12.32 minute time frame wasn't a clue, surely the "biceps become inverse" would tip you off).
    Yep, my bad. I was meant 5mol/l in the blood... else humans would be quite dead.

Maybe my point wan't that clear but I did write foods like doughnuts, cookies and deep fried fruit. You can't really completely avoid saturated and trans-fatty acids, but you can limit them.

I fail to see why my first post about your quote isn't relevant. You wrote that you only have 12 something minutes to intake your proteinwhateveryouwant and I argumented against it... I added alot of additional information maybe, but you can just read past it if you want

The simplest way to lose weight is via diet. (for me anyway) One thing to try and do is stay away from carbs/fats/sugars, especially later in the day. Eat a lot for brekky (not fried) but make sure it's low gi: e.g 2 pieces of wholegrain toast with vegemite or whatever, a banana, coffee, and an egg. You want to start the day with eating a fair bit but reduce the intake throughout the day until you're only having a little meal for dinner. Avoid a lot of cheese, processed meats, pastries, packaged snacks.
    Also, if you can be bothered (I'm not always haha) during random times of the day every day or so suddenly do about 5+min of intense exercise (135+bpm if possible, anything up to 180) It makes your body think it'll need to increase its metabolic rate as it knows now anytime you may require a sudden burst of energy...sorry if this doesnt make sense I'm about to go to bed
    Hope it helps. I'm 165cm (5"5') and have lost about 18-20kg (40lbs?) in under a year without really trying, just some very rare intense exercise and a diet change.
    Raaaa!

The "how to loose fat for noobs" linked in the first reply is spot on the money.

1g of protein per pound of lean body mass
    lift heavy 3 times a week
    drop your calorie intake by 300-500 from your maintenance

That's it.
    If you really can't help the sweet tooth or are particularly unfit, throw in a cardio day to sweat ur balls off and get ur heart working.
    Alternatively find a sport you like that you can sweat ur balls off doing. Squash is my preference but horses for courses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

I fail to see why my first post about your quote isn't relevant. You wrote that you only have 12 something minutes to intake your proteinwhateveryouwant and I argumented against it...
    The point was that his entire post was the living embodiment of bro-science and fallacy (he was being sarcastic).

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude I use to be the same as you were, 6'2 and 240 pounds up until senior year. Now in halfway done with my second semester of being a freashman in college and I'm 6'3 and 165, you gotta want to lose the weight for yourself and stay dedicated. That being said I dropped 20 pounds in the first month just because I quit drinking pop and working out. P.s lifting weights is the best way to burn That fat

10+ Year Old Account
    Now chocolate milk also contains sugar, which by intake increases the concentration of insulin in your blood
    Huh?

I think you're mixing up type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune condition where the immune system attacks the pancreas. he no longer has any capability to produce insulin. His insulin levels are determined solely by his injections.

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Huh?

I think you're mixing up type 1 and type 2 diabetes.

type 1 diabetes is an auto-immune condition where the immune system attacks the pancreas. he no longer has any capability to produce insulin. His insulin levels are determined solely by his injections.
    Insulin rises as your blood glucose concentration rises. It has alot to do with diabetes but nothing to do with drinking milk in order to uptain an increase in training effect.

Insulin rises as your blood glucose concentration rises. It has alot to do with diabetes but nothing to do with drinking milk in order to uptain an increase in training effect.
    OP is type 1 (read his post). His pancreas doesn't produce adequate insulin so his injections/iv are responsible for insulin. Increasing blood sugar won't trigger an insulin production response like it should.

I have a BS in Nutrition and Dietetics, my daughter is type1 (15y/o) and i have worked out for 20+ years.

YOU are not a typical person and should focus on controlling your diabetes better.

Never use colon cleanse or Fat burning products! In simple terms, you do not want increased blood sugar from the Fat burning products.

Learn and eat a diabetic diet, which is only counting your carbs correctly. Fat can be good too!!! Fat is what makes us feel full, never fully take it out of your diet. High fiber diets are nice, but difficult to stay on.

#1 fuck the advise here talk to your registered dietitian

To lose weight you're going to have to really watch your diet. No matter how hard you workout, if you're not eating properly, significant weight loss will never happen. I have dropped 75 lbs in 6 months. First step was fixing how I ate. I eat more now than I ever did and I still drop weight on a weekly basis. I started out with Paleo (http://thepaleodiet.com/) and have moved onto Zone (http://www.zonediet.com/). I still eat along the Paleo lines (no wheat, no grains, they are inflammatory to your system).

I also started working out at a local CrossFit (www.crossfit.com) affiliate. The workouts are short and intense. I have dropped a lot of weight and made significant strength gains in the process. Now that I have hit my long term goal weight, I have also added in a strength program (Wendler 5/3/1).

My week looks like this:

Monday: Open Gym (Wendler, Military Press & Deadlift) 5-6, Crossfit 6:30-7:30
    Tuesday: CrossFit 6:30-7:30
    Wednesday: Open Gym (Wendler, Bench Press Squats) 5-6, Crossfit 6:30-7:30
    Thursday: Rest Day
    Friday: CrossFit 6:00-7:00
    Saturday: CrossFit 10:11
    Sunday: Light Oly Lift workout (mostly technique based) from 11-12 and Rest.

I generally go on a 3 on 1 off schedule. I have 5 kids all involved in sports so the 1 hour workout fits perfectly in my schedule.

You can't out-train a bad diet. Just switching your diet over (without exercising) you'll lose a decent amount of weight. Exercising will just make it all that much faster, not to mention you'll get much stronger in the process).

OP is type 1 (read his post). His pancreas doesn't produce adequate insulin so his injections/iv are responsible for insulin. Increasing blood sugar won't trigger an insulin production response like it should.
    Maybe my post wasn't specific enough, to OP I apologize for lack of precision. For the majority of people insulin in blood rises according to blood glucose.

Natural foods, don't take all that weight loss supplement bullshit. Start running every single day, drink lots of water, goto the gym for 45 mins - 1.5 hours. Do this and you will lose a ton of weight.

Always try to push to the limit. Dedication is the key to success. I don't want to get into details about diet and specific workouts yet. That's all I have to tell you, dedication. DEDICATION!! >:O Friends ask to go out and eat? "I'm going to just stay home for today." Resist the urge lol and find a way to be able to get up and do any type of exercise at all EVERY SINGLE DAY. I don't care if it's 1 push up, it'll lead you to more once you know you're going to workout rather than "should I workout? Nah, I'll do it tomorrow" And don't give yourself the BS "I've been workingout pretty hard, I deserve a treat"..that leads to losing your dedication also.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Start running at least 3 times a week, eat more vegetable instead of some fatty foods etc It worked for me

btw tell your friends and do some exercise with them
    Last edited by Shadowpain; 2012-03-03 at 10:14 AM.

Deleted
    make movement, don't eat unless its breakfast, lunch or dinner...you can eat some fruit if you are hungry during the afternoon

Eat only natural proteins and dark greens and above all NO SALT, salt will retain water in a bad way and bloat you.

Biggest thing is the diet, it makes the most difference in the end. Just try and eat healthy, unprocessed foods (lots of vegies and meat) and STAY AWAY from the soft drinks, lollies etc. It's mostly common sense, just can be difficult to stay on track. That's why it's probably best to have one day per week as your guilt free day where you can eat whatever you want (within moderation) so you don't go crazy...

The other thing it to eat smaller amounts but more often - this'll keep you from getting hungry and then binging on the next meal.

Exercise wise, the best workouts to do are of the sprint/explosive variety rather than the slow/steady cardio workouts. While the indivual workouts may use up less calories, they more than make up for it in terms increased metabolism for the next 24-48 hours + muscle gain (which increases metabolism further).