Poll: Do you pirate?

Thread: Pirating

Page 38 of 97 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jreg View Post
    *toilet analogy*
    OffTopic: I fucking HATE auto-flush toilets. Exact same kind of aggravation.

I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE AUTOMATIC, STOP SPLASHING MY ASS WITH SHIT.

Carry on.
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    And when you see them you'll be all like :O and we'll be all like and then people on the forums will still be all like(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Originally Posted by Bashiok (Blue Tracker)
    CRAAAAWLING IIIIIIN MYYYYY SKIIIIIIIIN

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    In the 21st century, there is no such thing as spending money to avoid advertising or marketing. This is a simple fact. The two are so intertwined you would need a diamond cutter from hell that runs on 1.21 gigawatts to separate them.
    /Shrug

Pirates cheer then.

---------- Post added 2012-02-29 at 02:34 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Rakatashi View Post
    Stealing a used game from a redistribution center such as gamestop actually hurts the industry less than pirating. By stealing the game, gamestop will have to buy a new one from the publisher. By pirating, the game will simply sit unused and the company will sell no more games.

So, don't pirate. Head to Gamestop. If you're going to call it stealing, you might as well help the industry and actually steal.

edit: Or blockbuster. Or that record store.
    Record store won't sell even close to the music I want and iTunes can shove it.

In the 21st century, there is no such thing as spending money to avoid advertising or marketing. This is a simple fact. The two are so intertwined you would need a diamond cutter from hell that runs on 1.21 gigawatts to separate them.
    I can download an app for free from the Android Marketplace. Or I can pay for it and avoid ads. Broad generalizations tend to make for poor arguments. Furthermore, your argument fails to address the main point: a person who pirated the material gets to avoid the ads. No diamond cutter from hell required.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferel View Post
    OffTopic: I fucking HATE auto-flush toilets. Exact same kind of aggravation.

I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE AUTOMATIC, STOP SPLASHING MY ASS WITH SHIT.

Carry on.
    I've only had to deal with the misfortune of using an auto-flush toilet three times.
    Last edited by jreg; 2012-02-29 at 02:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the problem is more about intrusive advertisements than it is about normal ones. Advertisements that impede your ability to enjoy something you paid for are a problem. Pirated media offers a better product by removing that impediment.

Deleted

downloading is just more convenient. Piracy is not a consumer problem, it is a delivery of service problem. Large corporations need to update the way they deliver products to their customers to meet the current technological market instead of passing laws that only harm technological progression. Tis is why Netflix and Steam are so solid right now, for 8 bucks a month, you get to download everything legally, and steam you get a huge variety of games for very very cheap prices.

Since developers dont make demos anymore so pirating is the only way to test game before i buy it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jreg View Post
    The fact that you pay for a medium which is then contaminated with nauseating buy-me reminders while the piraters get to skip the bullshit entirely doesn't bother you?
    No why would I find it nauseating? I can just hit the button on my remote if I don't want to see the commercials on the dvd. I just throw away the coupon I got from old navy that is stabled to my receipt. I just say no at the gas station when they ask me if I want a rewards card. We're not going to go back to the production oriented era because you don't like the marketing era. It's just simply didn't work. Your toilet does remind you those things be the way. If you actually bought it in a box, it had loads of advertisement inside along with toilets.com printed on the side. That's advertisement. Your car does become possessed by the sales gods, just not the way you imagined. The fact that you think a brand new toilet doesn't have advertisement on it is proof that it is not as nauseating as you pretend to think.
    Last edited by Collegeguy; 2012-02-29 at 03:44 AM.

Deleted
    No why would I find it nauseating? I can just hit the button on my remote if I don't want to see the commercials on the dvd. I just throw away the coupon I got from old navy that is stabled to my receipt. I just say no at the gas station when they ask me if I want a rewards card. Where not going to go back to the production oriented era because you don't like the marketing era. It's just simply didn't work.
    Fine, well I will just add "no advertisements" to a list of reasons why I pirate.

Your toilet does remind you those things be the way. If you actually bought it in a box, it had loads of advertisement inside along with toilets.com printed on the side. That's advertisement. Your car does become possessed by the sales gods, just not the way you imagined. The fact that you think a brand new toilet doesn't have advertisement on it is proof that it is not as nauseating as you pretend think.
    That's not the same as having to sit through crap on a DVD. No-one's forcing you to read the box of your toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skavau View Post
    That's not the same as having to sit through crap on a DVD. No-one's forcing you to read the box of your toilet.
    there's also a fast forward option during previews on your DVD's as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    The evidence for leprechauns is immense - do you know how many socks dissappear on the world scale... This means that the chance of leprechauns exists is the same as them not existing - therefore you cannot deny their existence

Pirating is good. I got proof.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be that as it may, piracy wins then doesn't it? Don't get that crap with piracy.

I've no idea where you get this idea from, at all. It helps sell because lets say 1 out of 10 customers might look at the movie they've seen on the trailer part and think about buying it but everyone else (and often the customer who buys it) is still annoyed about having to watch all this crap before they can actually get to the movie.

Yeah and when it did, it pissed me off.

I even get annoyed about having to watch flashy animations of the video game developer and publishers before I can play it. Why should I? I've bought the damn game.
    Where do I get these ideas? Well, what degree do you have, or what business do you work for? These are things that they teach and tell everyone today. Marketing departments touch every single other department. Although I might hate the slimy bastards, I still know their work is a good thing. They are still teaching this in college. Even if you didn't go to college, they keep people up to date in business as well. Everyone is affected by marketing and advertisements today. Facebook, google, your android, your iphone, your computer, your shampoo, everything. Your participating in marketing and advertisements right now and you don't know it.

When Abercrombie and Fitch saw one of the actors from Jersey Shore wearing their shirts, they actually told him they would pay him money to not where their clothes. That is because they don't target for that market. But what if it was a brand you actually liked in that video game or product you bought? The goal is to actually provide things you need or find value in, not to annoy you.

Deleted
    Where do I get these ideas? Well, what degree do you have, or what business do you work for? These are things that they teach and tell everyone today. Marketing departments touch every single other department. Although I might hate the slimy bastards, I still know their work is a good thing. They are still teaching this in college. Even if you didn't go to college, they keep people up to date in business as well. Everyone is affected by marketing and advertisements today. Facebook, google, your android, your iphone, your computer, your shampoo, everything. Your participating in marketing and advertisements right now and you don't know it.
    You seem to still keep missing the point.

Pirating stuff means I do not get interrupted by advertisement. Pirating wins there. However productive it may be for companies to do it doesn't matter: I can avoid it and I can do it for free. This is just one reason why I and millions of others pirate.

When Abercrombie and Fitch saw one of the actors from Jersey Shore wearing their shirts, they actually told him they would pay him money to not where their clothes. That is because they don't target for that market. But what if it was a brand you actually liked in that video game or product you bought? The goal is to actually provide things you need or find value in, not to annoy you.
    You are not seriously trying to convince me to enjoy advertisement, are you?

It would still annoy me. As I said, I know why they put adverts in and I know it causes people to be aware of stuff they might not otherwise be aware of (piracy also has the knock on effect of free advertisement and given how information is so easy to come across now, old methods of advertisement will soon be redundant and thus annoying) but most people get annoyed by them and will count the lack of advertisement found in pirated stuff to be a bonus.

now i pirate sometimes.
    a whole lot of tv shows are not available in my country and even then i want to watch them in english. so i pirate them.
    i pirate movies because i do not have the money or the space to collect dvds/bluerays. i watch most big titles in cinema, but im disappointed on a regular basis by the translation and dubbing.
    a whole lot of games look great on the surface but suck if you thoroughly play them. i buy pretty much everything i can not finish in 20 hours of gametime. "pretty much" means that things that require EA origins will not be bought, no matter how great they are.
    then again i play mmos most of the time, so the actuall amount of games i play over the year is only half a dozen.
    Last edited by Runenwächter; 2012-02-29 at 04:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

Pirating stuff means I do not get interrupted by advertisement. Pirating wins there. However productive it may be for companies to do it doesn't matter: I can avoid it and I can do it for free. This is just one reason why I and millions of others pirate.

It would still annoy me. As I said, I know why they put adverts in and I know it causes people to be aware of stuff they might not otherwise be aware of (piracy also has the knock on effect of free advertisement and given how information is so easy to come across now, old methods of advertisement will soon be redundant and thus annoying) but most people get annoyed by them and will count the lack of advertisement found in pirated stuff to be a bonus.
    Ya, but then they are also in the actual video game or movie, so you didn't really avoid it. Like you said, that still upsets you. Piracy didn't win.

Deleted
    Ya, but then they are also in the actual video game or movie, so you didn't really avoid it. Like you said, that still upsets you. Piracy didn't win.
    You mean as a scene in the movie? Uh, they could be (depends on the movie) but mundane advertisement before the movie does not happen on a pirated copy. Piracy wins.

I don't want pre-movie advertisement/spam. Pirated copies don't have that.

I download everything that isn't nailed down. Even if I don't need it.

10+ Year Old Account

Then you are part of the problem and are perpetuating the stereotype that piracy is about money and not about businesses providing a fucking terrible service.

You want it to stop? Put your fucking money where your mouth is, and don't steal their fucking products. I don't like advertising in games I pay for, either, and I don't like a lot of the ridiculous DRM shit some games and a LOT of music have. Know what I do? I don't buy their products, and if especially bothers me, I send them a letter. Not an email, an actual, physical, hand-written snailmail letter.

I'm just one person. One person can be ignored. 10,000 people will begin to be noticed. 50,000 people will make them take note. 100,000 will constitute a problem somewhere. 1,000,000 is going to cause enough of a shortfall on those fat, ignorant board members' paychecks that maybe they'll start to think that all those letters they've been getting telling them they're fucking idiots might actually mean something.

That's the idea, anyway.

But seriously. Stop pirating. If you don't support their practices, don't buy their products. But stop fucking pirating them.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Then you are part of the problem and are perpetuating the stereotype that piracy is about money and not about businesses providing a fucking terrible service.
    What does me pointing out that people getting a better deal from pirating in the sense of not receiving advertisement on their movies have to do with money? I'm not sure I follow.

You want it to stop? Put your fucking money where your mouth is, and don't steal their fucking products. I don't like advertising in games I pay for, either, and I don't like a lot of the ridiculous DRM shit some games and a LOT of music have. Know what I do? I don't buy their products, and if especially bothers me, I send them a letter. Not an email, an actual, physical, hand-written snailmail letter.
    The perpetual constant advertising has little to do with piracy (though things like DRM do).

But seriously. Stop pirating. If you don't support their practices, don't buy their products. But stop fucking pirating them.
    I'd be more inclined to buy their products if I could get it for a reasonable price and digitally. At the moment I'm downloading new episodes of the Walking Dead every monday. I can't actually buy that... so what message can I send?

10+ Year Old Account
    What does me pointing out that people getting a better deal from pirating in the sense of not receiving advertisement on their movies have to do with money? I'm not sure I follow.
    I'm saying that "it's about money" is the shit that every fucking shitbag corporation like the MPAA and RIAA trot out every time the subject comes up. Piracy is absolutely not about the damn money, it's about a lack of acceptable service. But as long as people keep stealing shit (and don't mistake it for anything else - piracy is theft), they can keep using that bullshit as an excuse to avoid having to change the way they do business.

The perpetual constant advertising has little to do with piracy (though things like DRM do).
    What kind of advertising are you talking about? Like, ads before Youtube videos play, or ads every 10 or 15 minutes during a Hulu video? That shit's free, dude - it's no different from commercials while watching TV. What are you expecting, exactly?

I'd be more inclined to buy their products if I could get it for a reasonable price and digitally. At the moment I'm downloading new episodes of the Walking Dead every monday. I can't actually buy that... so what message can I send?
    You can write to A&E and tell them that you can't get your Walking Dead fix where you're at and that you'd like a legit means of getting it. If it's available in your area but you're dissatisfied with the service... well, tough shit man. You either suck it up or you put your money where your mouth is and show them you won't condone their stupid bullshit and don't buy their products.

But, again, stealing their shit allows them to keep screaming about being mugged when it's actually THEM that are the problem. But theft ain't the solution, either.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow