Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    I think gear is going to matter more than people realize...

    Q: How much does gear play a part in PvP? Would a healer and dps with full best-in-slot gear be able to sit on an objective and hold off a zerg of players in low-level gear indefinitely?

    A: Gear is very important to your effeciency in PvP. The class description healer and DPS don't really exist in GW2. Regardless of that though, 2 coordinated players could hold off an army depending on the gear, levels and play style, of the attackers. It would be very difficult though, do to everyone being able to resurrect.
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...sEohiw2x8/edit

    They've also said because of gear and your level that when you're scaled down you aren't really scaled down exactly to the level that the zone is. For example if you're a lvl 30 and you go into a lvl 5 zone, you'll be more like a lvl 8 or 9 which has a noticeable strength difference over a lvl 5.
    Last edited by grandpab; 2012-02-28 at 02:47 AM.

  2. #22
    Scarab Lord Blznsmri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    4,055
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    I think the problem lies in how you view open world pvp. I see it as a reward to fight some random player while we level. You find ways to outsmart each other and get the kill, breaking the boring redundancy of grinding to max level. We all play a game to have fun and I find it a lot more fun and rewarding to spend an hour pvping another player than smacking npc's. If you view open world pvp in that light then you are rewarded for helping another player enjoy the game, by having more fun yourself. Players without this mindset really don't belong in a PvP server.
    On the same token, people start to despise seeing each other out in the world, it's always going to seem like a direct competition to do what they want to get done, especially since it's all one faction. That said, leveling in Guild Wars 2 doesn't revolve around collecting 10 bear asses or right-clicking static npcs to "save them" from whatever static affect might be happening to them.

    If you want World PvP and a break from the PvE environment where you can outsmart other player characters, go do WvWvW. I hear it's hot-joinable.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by masterpiece View Post
    I think the problem lies in how you view open world pvp. I see it as a reward to fight some random player while we level. You find ways to outsmart each other and get the kill, breaking the boring redundancy of grinding to max level. We all play a game to have fun and I find it a lot more fun and rewarding to spend an hour pvping another player than smacking npc's. If you view open world pvp in that light then you are rewarded for helping another player enjoy the game, by having more fun yourself. Players without this mindset really don't belong in a PvP server.

    The problem with this, is that it's not really compatible with the rest of the gameplay that Anet is trying to create.

    If you run around and see someone getting beat up by NPC's, you should WANT to help him. It helps him, naturally, but also furthers your own goals, as you are now two people fighting together. Anet is very big on these "impromptu groups" that happens automaticly if people just happen to be in the same area, because unlike other games there is no mob-tagging. You are all awarded for your efforts.

    If you add World PvP, all that breaks down. You can no longer just jump in anywhere and help your fellow players out, because, they might just turn on you and kill you.
    No more improvised groups of people helping eachother, but back to the old MMO mantra - all people you don't know is an enemy. Welcome to leveling alone, what GW2 is trying very hard to abolish.

  4. #24
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    The problem with this, is that it's not really compatible with the rest of the gameplay that Anet is trying to create.

    If you run around and see someone getting beat up by NPC's, you should WANT to help him. It helps him, naturally, but also furthers your own goals, as you are now two people fighting together. Anet is very big on these "impromptu groups" that happens automaticly if people just happen to be in the same area, because unlike other games there is no mob-tagging. You are all awarded for your efforts.

    If you add World PvP, all that breaks down. You can no longer just jump in anywhere and help your fellow players out, because, they might just turn on you and kill you.
    No more improvised groups of people helping eachother, but back to the old MMO mantra - all people you don't know is an enemy. Welcome to leveling alone, what GW2 is trying very hard to abolish.
    Also, you forgot to mention that if you want world pvp, you can just level up in the WvW world. It's almost the same but more of the objectives and DE's are going to be going as PvP, though not all of them. You can level 1-80 in the PvP BG's, WvW, or in the normal PvE world. It's up to you.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Maklor View Post
    1. The game is not gear-centric, you won't get super gear upgrades at max level either.

    2. In PvP you are always scaled to max level even with a brand new char you will be level 80 but you will obviously have worse gear and be missing some abilities.
    Wont this bring trouble for PvE ?

    I mean, the exact reason WoW was getting expansions and more levels was because they pushed the instances to the max in therms of difficulty. There comes a point where you just cant make it more difficult because the limit has been reached.

    How will they handle that? Add more levels or eventually add stronger gear?

    Im NOT a troll!

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    Wont this bring trouble for PvE ?

    I mean, the exact reason WoW was getting expansions and more levels was because they pushed the instances to the max in therms of difficulty. There comes a point where you just cant make it more difficult because the limit has been reached.

    How will they handle that? Add more levels or eventually add stronger gear?

    Im NOT a troll!
    If you mean later on in the game with an expansion? No and Yes. They will most likely not dish out more levels, like in guild wars. Max level was 20 and each expansion gave more to the story and more content. In GW2, they will probably move more in the future with each expansion and give harder and harder content, meaning Gear will get better and better.

    But if you think that gear and stats will get crazy like in WoW, then you're incorrect.

    Personally I see that the addition of more levels and huge stat increases was the main problem with WoW, even now they are going to reduce stats in MoP because it was stupid crazy. You can easily add more harder content without the need to increase levels. Just increase stats bit by bit. If wow would of done that, you could still do old content like you used to with with some difficulty instead of soloing everything
    Last edited by Allanon the Mystic; 2012-02-28 at 02:30 PM.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by aevitas View Post
    Wont this bring trouble for PvE ?

    I mean, the exact reason WoW was getting expansions and more levels was because they pushed the instances to the max in therms of difficulty. There comes a point where you just cant make it more difficult because the limit has been reached.

    How will they handle that? Add more levels or eventually add stronger gear?

    Im NOT a troll!
    Well, WoW uses a different encounter design. In WoW, you have the idea of progression and straightforward repetitive mechanics, which is both based on grind. You have to grind gear and you have to grind (train) the encounter until you can react correctly to each trigger. AFAIK, GW2 goes a different way — gear does not play as big a role, but player skill does. I think their approach is less about prohibiting players access to encounters for which they did not grind enough and more about creating fun and challenging encounters. I mean, in WoW people usually do a raid or an instance to get geared up, the gaming process itself becomes irrelevant. In GW2, the boss encounters is supposed to be a different experience each time, so your reason to run the instance again would be to *have fun*. I know, this is a hard concept to get for hardcore raiders ^^

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    Max level was 30
    Max Level was 20

    However, in hot-join PvP, gear won't matter, since it's balanced, but in World Vs. World, gear will matter a little since your character only gets scaled to 80 if you're lower level, but the stats on gear will help a lot, they don't balance the gear and skills in WvW as they do in hot-join PvP.
    Last edited by Eiserne Drossel; 2012-02-28 at 02:31 PM.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    Max Level was 20
    I hit the 3 instead of the 2, thanks for catching that.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy92286 View Post
    I enjoy random fights, myself. What I don't enjoy are guys 20 levels than you are higher camping you for the fun of it. Anet fixed this issue by lowering the level/stats of people entering a lower zone so there can be no "griefing" of lower players. I will be a little upset that I can't just fight a guy randomly but then again, I can just do a 5v5 or WvW if I really am feeling bloodthirsty.

    I think Anet is not allowing open world pvp because not everyone likes it. And they rather people focus more on organized pvp than 1v1.
    I just read that A-Net had planned to let us create our own PvP servers with our own rules. Just like dedicated servers in Battlefield. Imagine if you can create a hardcore server where it's free for all.

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/l...wn-PVP-Server-

    If it's true, emmm... I don't know what to say. af;uhfaeih oiuawefh puih ga!!!!!!!!!!

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Morogoth View Post
    I just read that A-Net had planned to let us create our own PvP servers with our own rules. Just like dedicated servers in Battlefield. Imagine if you can create a hardcore server where it's free for all.

    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/l...wn-PVP-Server-

    If it's true, emmm... I don't know what to say. af;uhfaeih oiuawefh puih ga!!!!!!!!!!
    What is this... I don't even... All MMO's shall BOW DOWN!

    Though, if players want to create their own serverss I believe we might have to pay for them. Servers do cost money to maintain.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  12. #32
    The lack of a gear treadmill is a big draw for me over something like WoW.

    And "own servers" will likely be "own game types on their servers". I've never seen an MMO that didn't fall apart completely once it left the developer's own systems.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackmist View Post
    The lack of a gear treadmill is a big draw for me over something like WoW.
    Try Aion or other asian mmo's where the drop rate on the best gear is so small, it might take months or even years before you get it or the full set.
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    What is this... I don't even... All MMO's shall BOW DOWN!

    Though, if players want to create their own serverss I believe we might have to pay for them. Servers do cost money to maintain.
    I don't really think they mean servers as in worlds, shards, realms or what kind of names these 'servers' have. I think he mean more like, as said, servers like in FPS games, you create a PvP match with your own rules.

    We can make our own Battle of Kyhlo, instead of 500 resources, we can choose up to 2000. It's up to 10vs10, but we can choose 4vs4 instead if we want. Only Mesmers may join, or only Guardians, or random professions may join, or if we want to we can ban certian professions for that match. We can put up passwords on them as well, if we only want our friends to join.

    And such.
    Last edited by Eiserne Drossel; 2012-02-28 at 02:58 PM.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    I don't really think they mean servers as in worlds, shards, realms or what kind of names these 'servers' have. I think he mean more like, as said, servers like in FPS games, you great a PvP match with your own rules.

    We can make our own Battle of Kyhlo, instead of 500 resources, we can choose up to 2000. It's up to 10vs10, but we can choose 4vs4 instead if we want. Only Mesmers may join, or only Guardians, or random professions may join, or if we want to we can ban certian professions for that match. We can put up passwords on them as well, if we only want our friends to join.

    And such.
    Hopefully that is what they mean, and not actually complete worlds/shards

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondDust View Post
    Hopefully that is what they mean, and not actually complete worlds/shards
    I hope they give us more options. Maybe like, infection mode where you have to run away from the infected players 8D

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    I hope they give us more options. Maybe like, infection mode where you have to run away from the infected players 8D
    To much Halo and CoD me thinks :x
    - Guild Wars 2 Characters -
    Senari of the Woad | Riven Lightsbane | Cain the Mystic


  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiserne Drossel View Post
    I hope they give us more options. Maybe like, infection mode where you have to run away from the infected players 8D
    No, just no.

  19. #39
    Dreadlord Niku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    スウェーデン
    Posts
    950
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I think gear is going to matter more than people realize...



    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...sEohiw2x8/edit

    They've also said because of gear and your level that when you're scaled down you aren't really scaled down exactly to the level that the zone is. For example if you're a lvl 30 and you go into a lvl 5 zone, you'll be more like a lvl 8 or 9 which has a noticeable strength difference over a lvl 5.
    This put my worries to eas alittle. I do want to be stronger when I return to an area where I earlier encountered difficulty just as a messurment of my increase in power and experience.
    "The world is filled with lies! Thou shalt not kill. Thou shalt not steal. Thou shalt not bear false witness. Thou shalt not commit adultary. These are all lies, deceptions. I don't want to be killed. I don't want to be victim of theft. That is why they use lies like justice and moral to protect their weak selves. The original truth is the survival of the fittest. One must devour it all, wether it be other humans, wealth, power or the world itself! All hail Britannia!" - Charles vi Britannia

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Allanon the Mystic View Post
    What is this... I don't even... All MMO's shall BOW DOWN!

    Though, if players want to create their own serverss I believe we might have to pay for them. Servers do cost money to maintain.
    If it's a private server and the guy is willing to let us play in it, I don't see why we should pay. The servers will not be provided by A-Net I guess.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •