Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Here are a couple of articles about why.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/n...t-with-EA.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...-mario-party-9

Looks to me like Game is almost finished now. I guess the appearence of the collectors edition at other suppliers is due to Game losing it's copies.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Customers have no right to have second hand games, I see absolutley no problem with them trying to stop second hand sales.
    Wow, where did that rational come from? What have you been reading, or are you one of the suits trying to tell the world that second hand sales are killing the market for games, along with piracy?

When I buy a game I buy the physical property. If I wish to, I can sell that game on to whoever I like. If I sell that to a retailer, who then sells that on to someone else, then that's what commerce is all about. The Book Industry hasn't fallen apart after 1000's of years of sharing physical media (did you know there are these buildings full of books where you get them for free and then give them back when you are done, for only a tiny yearly fee?).

What's that you say? You only licensed me a copy of the software for a single user? Well, I lost my disc for Diablo 2, will you send me a new copy? You have all the contracts we signed when we licensed the package from you? No? Might that be because you sold wholesale all the physical media to the retailer?

If you want to ensure that people don't sell on the games when they find out the game is 1-dimensional and playthrough it in one afternoon, then guess what should be done about that? Yeap, you got it! Install DRM and day-1 DLC!! That'll make all the customers super happy.

The ability to trade game around has fueled the computer games industry for the last 20 years. Just as piracy has raised awareness of music artists over the same time period and driven their success despite what the guys in the RIAA will tell you, to cover up their inability to manage a music business properly.

If the Humble Indy bundle has taught anyone anything it's this: Good DRM-free games, offered for free, will still make money.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    Wow, where did that rational come from? What have you been reading, or are you one of the suits trying to tell the world that second hand sales are killing the market for games, along with piracy?

When I buy a game I buy the physical property. If I wish to, I can sell that game on to whoever I like. If I sell that to a retailer, who then sells that on to someone else, then that's what commerce is all about. The Book Industry hasn't fallen apart after 1000's of years of sharing physical media (did you know there are these buildings full of books where you get them for free and then give them back when you are done, for only a tiny yearly fee?).

What's that you say? You only licensed me a copy of the software for a single user? Well, I lost my disc for Diablo 2, will you send me a new copy? You have all the contracts we signed when we licensed the package from you? No? Might that be because you sold wholesale all the physical media to the retailer?

If you want to ensure that people don't sell on the games when they find out the game is 1-dimensional and playthrough it in one afternoon, then guess what should be done about that? Yeap, you got it! Install DRM and day-1 DLC!! That'll make all the customers super happy.

The ability to trade game around has fueled the computer games industry for the last 20 years. Just as piracy has raised awareness of music artists over the same time period and driven their success despite what the guys in the RIAA will tell you, to cover up their inability to manage a music business properly.

If the Humble Indy bundle has taught anyone anything it's this: Good DRM-free games, offered for free, will still make money.
    Ok the way I phrased it was maybe a little misleading. By saying gamers have no right to second hand games I don't mean to say people should not be able to get second hand games, but when a developer actively tries to stop these second hand sales with things like online passes (the post that I replied to), people have no right to demand any different. That is what I meant.

A better word to use would be 'entitled' gamers are not entitled to second hand games, its just a perk, that if the developers decided to stop with online passes, deal with it.

The main reason people buy second hand games is to get it cheaper, for what ever reason. If you can't afford something at the retail price you are not entitled to get it for cheaper that is my point, now if you want to discuss it further do it elsewhere and not in a thread that has nothing to do with it.
    Last edited by Blackspur; 2012-02-29 at 04:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Comparing the used Book market to the used game market is just stupid.
    Firstly books do not cost millions on millions of dollars to make and when have you ever heard of a writer going out of business because of it?
    Their are allot of developers that cancel game sequels or go out of business because they can´t make enough money to stay in business and the used game market does not help the developers at all.

When you walk into a retail shop a store worker comes up to you and asks if he can help you, you say that you looking for some game, there is a VERY high chance that he will walk you to the used game section and not the new section... you know why? because the store makes ALLOT more money out of selling that used game then the new one.
    Last edited by Torched; 2012-02-29 at 05:13 PM.
    “A man will contend for a false faith stronger than he will a true one,” he observes. “The truth defends itself, but a falsehood must be defended by its adherents: first to prove it to themselves and secondly, that they may appear right in the estimation of their friends.”
    -The Acts of Pilate.

Deleted
    Thats pretty big news, not just for ME3 but they wont be stocking any future EA games, pretty shocked about that as its my local store.

Game has been slipping lately though, iv noticed in multiple stores that there slacking on the PC section for all titles, it seems like they want to move away from the PC market completely.

''Shares in Game, which has battled to keep its head above water in recent months, fell nearly 15pc to 5p within minutes of the news appearing on industry websites.''

Real shame if they go under, its been my local store for years now.

Article on the BBC news site too now: http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/17210489

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    Comparing the used Book market to the used game market is just stupid.
    Firstly books do not cost millions on millions of dollars to make and when have you ever heard of a writer going out of business because of it?
    Their are allot of developers that cancel game sequels or go out of business because they can´t make enough money to stay in business and the used game market does not help the developers at all.

When you walk into a retail shop a store worker comes up to you and asks if he can help you, you say that you looking for some game, there is a VERY high chance that he will walk you to the used game section and not the new section... you know why? because the store makes ALLOT more money out of selling that used game then the new one.
    The people that make the most money in this industry out of new sales are the publishers, and often they are the ones to blame for studios folding or deciding not to make sequels.

They, of course, don't directly make any money from second hand sales (aside from, y'know, people then using that money to buy more games - Bob sells Mass Effect to second hand store, takes money and puts it towards Mass Effect 2, etc). Game publishers are the biggest bloodsucking parasites ever to have existed. Even in the age where publishing on physical media isn't necessary, they take huge cuts for e-publishing and still outsource advertising campaigns.

I have no respect for software publishers these days, because they simply hold the entire industry back in their unassailable greed.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Second hand gaming is killing the market. Heavy-handed DRM and those $10 online passes/content unlocks are to help make money for the developer on used game sales, of which they don't make a whole lot of. I don't know about where you are, but I have seen brand new games placed on the shelf as used the day of release, and employees asked if I wanted to buy it used instead. Several times, in fact, before they accept that I want to buy new. And those used games aren't even marked down. In one egregious example, the used copy was more expensive than buying new. How is that reasonable?

Companies like GAME, Gamestation, Gamestop and EBGames all make way more money off of used game sales than new, because they don't have to pay any out to the publisher when they sell it a second time. They make so much off of this, because they will purchase your games at a fraction of the price (~1-5 dollars. I attempted this exactly once, when the PSX was still the current gen console. I put down ~10 games, and they told me I'd get less than 15 dollars. I knew they'd sell them back for at least 10 dollars each, and refused to give them that business. Especially considering they will only pay you in in-store credit.

Used games does hurt the gaming industry. More than piracy.

10+ Year Old Account
    sucks, i pre-ordered from them. Also would be crap if they went down, it's nice to go to Game and browse. Doesn't bode well for them to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Torched View Post
    This is why I'm glad that I'm on a first name basis with my local gamestop employees, including the manager. They know not to give me the used game speech because I don't take shit and I don't afraid of anyone. ^_^

Deleted
    I feel bad for all the people who are working at Game in every store cause they will be out of a job. But I cant wait for the day Game is gone! It will show the fat cats upstairs they cant run a business with those prices!

Deleted
    This is good, hopefully it will increase the amount of people boycotting the game.

Deleted
    I bet Game will not Stock Diablo 3 either

Deleted
    When I first saw the headline on bbc.co.uk/news I thought:
    "This is either going to be a protest regarding the DLC on launch or EA trying to make ME3 an origin exclusive."

But apparently I was wrong and it's credit problems. I don't believe it.

GAME deals heavily in pre-owned games. I don't understand how they can lose money on this. It's a system which robs the publishers and developers by pocketing all of the profit made on used sales.

So I don't understand how GAME has managed to fuck up a business model which sells products which don't degrade over time, are identical to their newer counterparts and generates 200-400%+ profit per item sold.

This has protest and origin exclusive all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by murderotica View Post
    This is good, hopefully it will increase the amount of people boycotting the game.
    Because of what?
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FlawlessSoul View Post
    Because of what?
    Because total biscuit went of on a rant about DLC that bioware made AFTER the game was finished is being sold on day one

10+ Year Old Account

He's my god.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

Deleted
    The developers of the games make absolutely NO money from second hand sales. That money goes entirely to the Game retail stores; I can see perfectly well why they wish to get rid of it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    The developers of the games make absolutely NO money from second hand sales. That money goes entirely to the Game retail stores; I can see perfectly well why they wish to get rid of it.
    Why is the developer in the right, and the retailer in the wrong, in terms of both wanting to make money? Sure, if publishers decide to change their business practice and only sell games online through digital download or mail order. If you no longer want to use retailers to sell your product, then fine. But if you want to continue to use them to advertise, promote and sell your games, then you have to let them do business in a profitable manner. If you don't want them to sell second hand games, then strike a deal with them whereby you subsidise them for the lack of profit, then you are going to have to deal with them closing down.

It's their move I guess. It won't stop me getting the games I like, as buy new if the game is super hot, or I wait for 3-4 months for used or reduced price (steam sales). What we will eventually see, I suspect, is an EA retail store selling new EA games and they won't accept or sell any used games.

15+ Year Old Account
    I think these three posts sum it up best:

Before people start jumping on the EA hating bandwagon, ths is an issue with GAME and not EA.
    GAME are in a very very precarious position financially and have lost a lot of their credit. They also will not be stocking Mario Party 9 on release date (March 2nd) or any Ubisoft Vita games.
    It pretty much is game saying they want the companies not to expect to be paid back for the games or for the profits for a long time.
    Pretty much, they want outstanding terms for a failing business.
    • we want this huge amount of copies of your game
    • we can only pay you this amount up-front
    • we want this amount of credit on all returned inventory (new or used)
    • oh yeah, we're also on the verge of bankruptcy
    In retail, when you hear someone is having financial troubles then you deal with them only in Cash. GAME is in the difficult position of not having enough liquid assets to buy the inventory they need and also having the tarnished inability to gain financial credit in terms of lending.

read them like a reddit post (since that's where it's stolen from)
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right