Resolution - Best Possible
    Games / Settings Desired - Best Possible
    Country - Ireland
    Parts that can be reused -
    AMD Phenom 2 955 3.2 ghz
    Corsair XMS3 8GB DDR3
    Some Generic 650Watt PSU
    Asus M4A87TD EVO Motherboard

With build 1 I am looking for an all inclusive gaming pc for my gf who is currently on a laptop which is not the best. Best possible build for the money, 23" HD monitor also. I think 8GB ram is enough for gaming, although my knowledge is utter crap when it comes to this things.

With build 2, I am upgrading my build. Looking for a new idea for graphics card, was think 2 6870s (current card is GTS 450) but not sure if that is a good idea or if I need a new motherboard or what. I need a new CPU cooler too on that build and a new case. Looking for a high end gaming build or as close as possible for the money

Thanks in advance for all the help

P.S Her computer CANNOT BE BETTER Jokes
    Last edited by Jaja; 2012-03-01 at 12:13 PM.

For build 2 take Nvidia 560 Ti 448, should be roughly 280euros. DirectCU2 - cooler preferably.

Build 1

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant
    CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor (£166.98 @ Scan.co.uk)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair CAFA50 61.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£21.99 @ Dabs)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£84.99 @ Dabs)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.00 @ Maplin Electronics)
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£100.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6950 2GB Video Card (£208.43 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case (£63.08 @ Ebuyer)
    Power Supply: Corsair 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£65.24 @ Ebuyer)
    Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer (£13.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Monitor: Asus VE228H 21.5" Monitor (£121.20 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) (£70.13 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £947.22

• This computer will be better, by far. The Phenom II 955 is a decent (at best) chip, but the 2500k will utterly destroy it. If you want the better computer, use this build and give her the second.
    • A 21.5" monitor is more realistic for this budget, and will do fine.

Build 2

Part list permalink / Part price breakdown by merchant
    CPU Cooler: Corsair CAFA50 61.0 CFM CPU Cooler (£21.99 @ Dabs)
    Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon HD 6970 2GB Video Card (£279.99 @ Dabs)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi Tower ATX Mid Tower Case (£63.08 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £365.06

• I don't much of anything about that heatsink (I also recommended it in build 1). I know its successor, the Corsair A70, is a great cooler, but it's not available on the UK version of PCPartPicker. The reviews of the A50 are good, but hopefully someone can weigh in here.
    • The 6970 is, in my opinion, one of the best price for performance cards available right now. It will run any game on the market just fine.
    • I don't recommend a 2+ card setup. They can be a pain to install and maintain, and not every game supports them.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-01 at 03:50 PM.

Cheers for the reply will take a look into all these, I could also upgrade more of my current setup just the items are linked that can be reused are basically the best of a bad bunch
    Last edited by Jaja; 2012-03-01 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Quote? What quote?

You don't need to quote my post, I know you're talking to me. ;-)

If you want to spend more to upgrade, let me known and I can suggest something, but you may wanna wait a few months. We're expecting Intel's Ivy Bridge line of CPUs in April/June. Not only will that mean better CPUs, but it should also mean cheaper prices on current CPUs.

I should have probably mentioned that in my first post...

I don't trust the "some generic 650w power supply" part. Is the motherboard capable of unlocking the two extra cores on your Phenom? What size monitor (resolution too) are we dealing with for the second computer? I think noteworthy is on the right track but I personally need more info......

EDIT: Just checked, the mobo is a rather capable one. Get back to me on the monitor and res and I'll go from there.
    Last edited by Afallach; 2012-03-01 at 04:20 PM.

Monitor on my current build is 1980x1080 24".

I don't know if the motherboard is capable. That's why I am here, to find out these things from you oh so clever people. If push comes to shove I will scrap what I have to rebuild. I want to spend good now and not have to replace anything for quite some time. On both builds. I am just wondering if anything is worth keeping from my current build. As for power supply I can check make and model when I get home (about 20-30 mins)

I would like both builds to end up more or less the same quality.

That MoBo can unlock the cores, according to NewEgg... Either way, if he wants a "high end gaming build ", he's better off replacing the 955 with an Ivy Bridge chip when they release.

I guess I just assumed that he's using a 23" monitor because that's what he wanted for the first build.

As for the PSU, I was a bit concerned about that as well, but I figured if it was advertised as a 650W PSU that it should be delivering 450W at least, which would be enough to power the upgrades I recommended. Still, it would be worth identifying.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-01 at 04:28 PM.

Ok so it is literally a generic power supply. High Power Plus it's actually 500W not 650 as I thought.

So if I were to say spend 1500 on 2 builds. 1 using the monitor, motherboard and ram I already have is it possible to still get 2 decent i5 2500k builds?

I will prob be buying from www.pixmania.ie as it is where I bought my ram and I don't know anywhere else that shows price in euro and ships to Ireland.

The motherboard you have has an AM3 socket meant for AMD CPUs. The 2500k requires a 1155 socket meant for Intel Sandy Bridge CPUs, they are not compatible. The only thing you could potentially recycle from your current build is the memory and the hard drive (and, of course, the monitor/mouse/keyboard).
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-01 at 07:26 PM.

Ok been looking on Pixmania...
    For my upgrades so far I have picked:
    i5 2500k (http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/8314868...3-ghz-6-m.html)
    2GB GTX 560 ti (http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/1081609...ti-twin-f.html)
    ASUS P8H67-V (http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9291907...155-socke.html)
    Corsair GS700 (http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9583396...700-pc-po.html)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 (http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/7810812...tower-cas.html)
    Corsair A70 CPU cooler
    8GB XMS3
    1TB 6GB/s 7200rpm HDD (forget make again but I already own this)

Grand total of €755.54 + Delivery

Build 2 is a WIP. But glad I came here now to see how much my own build actually needed. Thanks for the help.
    Last edited by Jaja; 2012-03-02 at 11:43 AM.

I would suggest waiting, Ivy Bridge should be here in April, maybe June... Your computer will be fine until then, and it will give you time to save up some more money.

If you absolutely cannot wait, here's a few recommendations:
    • Get a Z68 MoBo like this one, H67 MoBos lack a few nice features.
    • Switch the RAM to Corsair Vengeance (just a personal preference).
    • 700W is completely overkill for this build, it is too high for a single card but too low for two cards. Downgrade to something between 500-699W. Like this one for example: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9583397...600-pc-po.html
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-03-02 at 01:50 PM.

Alright thanks for the advice

I might wait then, if anything it will make the current ones cheaper. But I don't know if the misses will wait

Thanks for all the help I will update with the final decision.

Cheers