Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

The Feds and Four Loco clash again

http://www.boston.com/news/education...uor_four_loko/

Opinions on this? Remember about a year or so back the FDA made them change (and rightfully so) the caffeine content in their drink. It was dangerous, and the company, Phusion, happily obliged and even changed their product before the ruling was final.

Now they want to tell the company how to design their can, market, and how much alcohol is in their drink? And when a campaign is led by Utah...well lets just say it wont be very objective for the consumption of alcohol

Well... I don't feel government agencies should be able to tell ANY private business how to operate outside of safety/taxing structures, so yea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Well... I don't feel government agencies should be able to tell ANY private business how to operate outside of safety/taxing structures, so yea.
    So you'd be ok with cigarette companies advertising to children?

Cause they used to do that before they got stopped by the government.
    Forum badass alert:
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochana Violence View Post
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Enterprises should not be over-regulated, but they should not be free to do w/e they can either...

Read back on the industrialization of America, the abuses were amazing.

They aren't marketing to children though....they are marketing to college kids, which are considered adults by the government.

The way I see it, the FTC is trying to make Four Loco shit in a can, literally, take a shit, put it in a can and market it to the inhabitants on the moon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Foosha View Post
    They aren't marketing to children though....they are marketing to college kids, which are considered adults by the government.

The way I see it, the FTC is trying to make Four Loco shit in a can, literally, take a shit, put it in a can and market it to the inhabitants on the moon.
    My comment about kids was intended to be a reply to the idea that the government shouldn't regulate business.

Are we reading the same article in the link? Cause what I read was that the FTC was trying to do 2 things.

1) Require Four Loco to accurately state how much alcohol is contained as they were lying in ads about how much alcohol it contained.
    2) Require Four Loco to have a resealable bottle so that the beverage wouldn't need to be consumed in one sitting.

I don't see how anyone could see #1 as a bad thing. #2 -- I guess it's on the fence but given the side of the containers and how much alcohol is contained it doesn't seem like a particularly bad thing either. I can see an argument that #2 is too much big government though.

I didn't see anything about requiring them to change anything else. Maybe I missed it though.
    Forum badass alert:
    It's called resistance / rebellion.
    Also, one day the tables might turn.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Four Loko cans say clearly on the side they're 12% alcohol by content. I guarantee you that most of the college students who drink it are drinking it BECAUSE they know how much alcohol is in it.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    The way I see it, the FTC is trying to make Four Loco shit in a can...
    Well, I think it already is, but that's beside the point. I thought the company already agreed (last year) to change the can design and fully disclose its alcohol content?

The FTC charges that the drink's creator, Chicago-based Phusion Projects, has implied in ads that its 23.5-ounce can is equal to one or two regular 12-ounce beers. The agency says the can, which contains up to 12 percent alcohol, is really more like four to five beers and shouldn't be consumed in one sitting.
    I'm not sure what this seeks to accomplish. You probably shouldn't consume an entire 750mL bottle of tequila in one sitting either (not that I've ever done that before... *hic* ), but I've never seen such a warning on a container of alcohol. Hell, if you really want a heavy dose of booze mixed with caffeine, just whip up a batch or two of Irish (or Jamaican) coffees.

That's certainly what Four Loco tastes like...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    Well, I think it already is, but that's beside the point. I thought the company already agreed (last year) to change the can design and fully disclose its alcohol content?

I'm not sure what this seeks to accomplish. You probably shouldn't consume an entire 750mL bottle of tequila in one sitting either (not that I've ever done that before... *hic* ), but I've never seen such a warning on a container of alcohol. Hell, if you really want a heavy dose of booze mixed with caffeine, just whip up a batch or two of Irish (or Jamaican) coffees.
    Wut?

So polishing off a bottle of rum when my best mate is back in town is a bad idea?! I must sue someone for not warning me that drinking the entire bottle is a bad idea :P. And Jamaican coffee.....really? I'll make an Irish coffee that'll make you forget how to operate your tongue >_>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    I'll make an Irish coffee that'll make you forget how to operate your tongue >_>
    That's the only kind!

I only included the rum option in the off-chance that someone didn't care for Irish whiskey (perish the thought...).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayl View Post
    That's the only kind!

I only included the rum option in the off-chance that someone didn't care for Irish whiskey (perish the thought...).
    If you want something truly Irish get some good mead....went to a castle feast and there were jugs of it all over the tables, bought a few bottles afterwards.

Man that stuff is tasty^_^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    If you want something truly Irish get some good mead....went to a castle feast and there were jugs of it all over the tables, bought a few bottles afterwards.

Man that stuff is tasty^_^
    I had some honey mead a few months ago, sharing a bottle with a friend. I offered to pay for it before I looked at the price tag. $32/bottle.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

You think they still don't? come on now.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a college student I am still devastated that they gutted 4loko. RIP.

____________________R.I.P Excessive Gaming____________________

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I had some honey mead a few months ago, sharing a bottle with a friend. I offered to pay for it before I looked at the price tag. $32/bottle.
    All mead is honey.....there's no other form.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenonis View Post

The cigarette companies dont need to advertise to children. . . the childrens parents do it for them, for free. . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    The cigarette companies dont need to advertise to children. . . the childrens parents do it for them, for free. . . . . . .
    Government shouldn't be regulating parenting, but they should be regulating commerce.

OT: I don't see any reason for further regulation about this, unless they're indeed lying about the alcohol content in advertising. All health information presented in advertising should be factual, especially in potentially dangerous cases like this.

I had a Four Loko before they changed the content and I will admit it was deadly. I had 2 in one night and I woke up in a different house than I started in and I somehow drove there :O

But after having a Four Loko after all the changes, it's really not that bad. You can drink 2 and be pretty drunk, but not blackout drunk. It's the equivilant of 5 or 6 beers in one can. Most of the people I go to college with drink them because they're only like, $3.50 here in Maryland, and it's the cheapest way to get really drunk really quick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Voij View Post
    Finally someone uses the Second Amendment for what it was meant for: Shooting people who do stuff you don't like.

Deleted
    Americans are really weird from an Irish perspective.

It's a normal guys night out if we drink say 6-8 pints (568ml of beer each), some shots and mixers over the course of say 4-5 hours. That's not even "holy shit I drank so much", that's fairly normal.

Impressive is 10 pints+ over 5 shots. Blackout is more.