Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Hey Draxy,

He can move over and deal with stuff once he is with you - but he must get residency and the BSN sorted out as a priority. Don't wait around with that. I have no idea how long you have to deal with it, I had all my appointments within a week of moving. I was fast at dealing with it. To clarify, I did deal with both residency and the BSN/Sofinummer after moving though - I just did it straight away within the first week.

Residency:
    I had to fill in some forms, we rang them and asked for the forms to be mailed to us, so we filled them in before we attending the appointment. I needed to provide my Passport, proof of employment, an address in Holland, and the completed forms. I provided my girlfriends parents address, as I did not yet have my own address in Holland and that was fine.
    If you chose sponsorship, you would need to provide financial details instead of proof of employment, to prove you have the income to support him - your parents can sponsor him too, if you do not meet the requirements. I believe the sponsor needs to attend the appointment. There was a small fee, like 12 euroes or something.

This appointment was at the main city hall in Rotterdam, the local town halls cannot deal with residency.

BSN:
    I had to fill in two forms, my girlfriend collected them before I arrived so I filled them in before the appointment. I needed my passport information AND they had to see my proof of residency - this appointment had to be done after my appointment for residency, because of this. I had to go back about 10 days later to collect my BSN in person and sign for it, again showing my passport.

This appointment was at the local town hall in the village where her parents live, I had to use this town hall as I used her parents address on my residency forms, and it became my official address.

British Home Office:
    I cannot remember the name of the form for the life of me, just call your local post office in England and explain that you want the form to declare that you are leaving Britain and you are exempt from tax. It's another E-XX form. It's pretty simple to fill out, it stops Britain charging you tax, so don't wait around. I filled mine in and mailed it a few days before I left England. Just need some information off your passport, your NI number, tax code, etc.

That's pretty much it. Once you have your residency, BSN and you have told the home office that you've gone then you are sorted. You're free to open a bank account, buy/rent property, etc. It makes applying for jobs easier too.

I have three more pieces of advice:
    -If your passport is about to expire, renew it. It costs about £50 extra to renew a British passport from overseas, so if it only has a year or two left it saves you some money down the line. It also means you wont need a second residency appointment quite so soon.

-Get a Dutch ID card. Officially you need to carry ID with you once you are a resident. It's better than walking around with your passport, not that I ever did (carry my passport).

-This one can wait, but down the line seek some financial legal advice, there are many loopholes you can abuse and a few taxes you can dodge by being an English citizen and a Dutch resident. For example, you can give next of kin large sums of money tax free in England - where in Holland you will be taxed, you are able to make the exchange in England without Holland being able to touch it. You will always be an England citizen first, and a Dutch resident second.
    Last edited by mmocf05116bedc; 2012-03-03 at 04:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Be confused be it

Infracted.
    Last edited by mmoc58a2a4b64e; 2013-03-17 at 08:56 PM.