Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Pit Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I died so infrequently on my Sentinel I didn't mind it. It gets expensive at later levels, but by then the game is throwing credits at you wildly so it's pretty balanced. It was almost always my fault anyway. /shrug
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroWashu View Post
    Yes, because mostly the content is not proper for solo players, especially players who are there for the story and don't care to have to master every damn CD/ability/pot/stim/etc.

Bioware overuses elite and even strong mobs in general questing. I have zero problems with elite and strong mobs in heroic+ and flashpoints. I have a real problem with them in regular content. They have no place. I also am getting all so tired of all the player incapacitating abilities mobs have. Hell on one planet I had to send my npc in first EVERY DAMN TIME unless I wanted to be "blinded/spun" for eight to ten seconds. I know about the CD to break it, but damn I am not waiting two minutes between pulls. Using elite mobs for when the player is reasonably expected to be solo and worse, higher level than the content around them, is lazy programming. I know more than a few who left because they got frustrated with that model and some who only play in cantina's now... which means they won't be around long either.
    For some reason the elite design resembles alot on vanilla/TBC mob design. Oh how I hated some of the most nasty debuffs I've ever seen. It's the developers basically teaching you how to hate. Although I wouldn't call it lazy programming because those things are just a selection from an existing stock they continue to use all over the game. It's more like that they didn't do alot of finetuning and balancing, in addition they forgot to ask themselves the gamer question: "Is this fun?"

Is it really not proper for solo players? I heard alot complaints that this game doesn't do alot encouraging players to group and I partially agree and disagree. I have killed champions solo (Jedi Master Berr Irichmin in Taris coming to my mind) because it was fairly easy, in another instance on another class I had to group up because I just couldn't do it solo. Most content is however soloable but some of it isn't equally fair to all classes. Some are struggling more than others on the same content.

Quote Originally Posted by mickloven View Post
    I generally just go into every conversation (Sith Sorceror) with shields on both me and Khem assuming that when it ends, I'll have to fight those that I am talking to. As soon as the conversation ends, I immediately cc the elite/strong and then start working on the rest. This strategy has helped me immensely. [...]
    It differs from class to class really, I was really having a hard time surviving some conversation-to-combat transitions on my Operative seeing she was healing specced and your only in-combat cc is a 4s stun unless it's a droid. Was often harder than some heroics I've solo'd .
    On my Juggernaut I bulldozed through everything thrown at me, on my Commando again it's a hit & miss game, most convos I survive, others are plain unfair, can't dodge explosive probes chain while being on fire and zap-stunned and standing right in the middle of the crowd enjoying an overlapping blast radius for their grenades then when I am coming back after mortar-shelling the hell out of them I am left scratching my head about how easy that actually was. In my opinion if they design the encounter with you being surrounded in mind they should calm down a bit on stacking effects.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-03-02 at 07:55 PM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Sumatran View Post
    My favorite part is not having to do a corpse run.
    I tend to abuse this a lot. Keep running past mobs until you find the quest objective or the boss that you need to kill, die to zillion trash mobs running after you, res up and finish the quest...

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakia View Post
    I don't mind death at all while questing in TOR. I honestly can't remember the last time that I died while questing or leveling in WoW.

In TOR, the leveling isn't exactly difficult, but you can certainly die if you aren't paying attention. It makes it more enjoyable and less mind numbing.
    Indeed, and since dying for me is infrequent I am able to use the medical droid probe to resurrect where I am so I don't have the dreaded run back. Bioware has done death well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Indeed, and since dying for me is infrequent I am able to use the medical droid probe to resurrect where I am so I don't have the dreaded run back. Bioware has done death well.
    The one bump on the road that I cannot understand is the time penalty for dying repeatedly. Sure, doesn't happen very often but when it does, it's a real pain and I honestly do not see the point in it. The first 10 second wait is fine, but it ramps up fast to 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and finally 10 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    The one bump on the road that I cannot understand is the time penalty for dying repeatedly. Sure, doesn't happen very often but when it does, it's a real pain and I honestly do not see the point in it. The first 10 second wait is fine, but it ramps up fast to 30 seconds, 2 minutes, and finally 10 minutes.
    Presumably this is meant to combat the kind of play that I mentioned loving a few posts ago: just ignore mobs, run in to quest objectives and take the stuff. Without the penalty you could also just solo kamikaze zerg most 2 man heroics: run in and nuke one guy of the group usually works, then just repeat.

(In other words, some of us don't mind dying a nearly as much as we mind actually leveling... I don't understand why MMO developers insist that everyone needs to go through the questing content if we want to play the max level content.)

15+ Year Old Account
    I usually only die because I stop paying attention to the packs. So I usually take the death as a sign to take a small break.

Only time I got upset by a death was when I tried to finish Chapter One on my Warrior about 4 levels too low for the quest... but in retrospect, I shouldn't have rushed it.

dieing is meh, having to spam space bar to skip the talking is annoying.

My only problem with dieing is that jedi sents are SOFT as hell. Its can be a tad frustrating not because I'm bad but because every pull is a fight for life or death and I basically have to use a defensive cool downs every attempt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    Presumably this is meant to combat the kind of play that I mentioned loving a few posts ago: just ignore mobs, run in to quest objectives and take the stuff. Without the penalty you could also just solo kamikaze zerg most 2 man heroics: run in and nuke one guy of the group usually works, then just repeat.
    Not sure I see the problem really; most 2-man heroics are already soloable, particularly since it is easy to out-level the content, which trivializes them even more. In most 4-man heroics that I've done it won't matter if you corpse-run to the last guy because they are rarely soloable, not to mention you usually need to fulfill objectives before even able to summon the boss at the end of the mission, so corpse-running isn't even very viable.

Its annoying sure, but I would rather there be that risk than have it like WoW is...

While questing, I hate dying, especially in areas where you can't med probe. Yes, it was probably my own fault, but I am my own biggest critic.

I do see me dying as less stupid than me dying in WoW. Quests are hard in SWTOR.

Not sure I see the problem really; most 2-man heroics are already soloable, particularly since it is easy to out-level the content, which trivializes them even more.
    This depends entirely on class. An Operative can cc 2 or 3 mobs (depending on whether there's droids) for a minute and then add all their short duration stuns to it. A tank can survive the beating with a healer companion. A healer can outheal the damage... but a Sniper or a Marauder of appropriate level will often have no other way than take out one mob and reset, take out another mob and reset, take out...

I find death very relevant to your class/spec and your companion.

My first toon was a Sith Assassin tank, and seldom died. Almost never died after getting the healer companion Tallos (although he's an annoying prick). My next toon only got to level 30 (Mercenary dps), and seldom if ever died with Mako and myself able to heal me.

Then my pre-form guild fell apart and I rerolled republic on a different realm. My first toon is a Jedi Sentinel (dps-only), and I like redheads so I have had Kira as my companion ever since Coruscant. I die alot more often!

But to answer the OP, death isn't a big deal since you can rez RIGHT ON THE SPOT, no running from a graveyard. No spirit rez penalty if you're done in the area and choose to just rez at the medical droid. Repairs can be a bit steep, especially as I recall from my Sith Assassin when geared in all level 50 purples...

I assume that's Bioware's attempt to tell you "maybe you're not ready for this particular quest/zone".

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate dying only when it's lag that kills me.
    Scratch a cynic and you'll find a disappointed idealist - George Carlin (1937-2008)

Deleted
    Skill Heal, and you dont die

I just started a Sage myself, already got a Inquisitor on max level...also heal specced leveled...np

Deleted
    At the minute im finding myself die quite often on Voss (trooper vanguard), but i kill the mobs but having several dots on me is finishing me off, then again im trying to level my dps companions affection so im not getting any heals. Still it doesnt really bother me, i like having to use my interupts cd's etc

Not only don't mind, but I like it. I like that when a quest sends me after some Elites I can't just faceroll through them like any other mob.

Dying is generally player failure at some level, so of course I mind dying; it means I ****ed up at some point. There's no corpse run, but it's still irritating.