Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rushro View Post
    Grats on being BM. I'm pretty sure he must have given his feign death key a workout too. Now let's see a class that doesn't do the work for you finish this challenge, because it's not a challenge if your pet is going to do 90% of the work.
    grats on not looking at his armory and the rules of the challenge. talents are against the rules.

Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    According to wowhead, Frostbolt has a base 35 yard range, 40% snare for 9 seconds, 2 second cast time, all untalented. I will concede the fact that I have never attempted to play untalented, grey gear, and any / all of the Ironman rules, so yes, I don't know the mana issues. That said, I see Ice Lance is 6% base, I would think with proper abuse of Frost Nova and kiting with Frostbolt / CoC, it is possible. Timers on CDs are irrelevant; unless you're aiming for world first (which has obviously been done already), what does it matter if the challenge took 5 years? It would be plausible to wait 10 minutes per pull, so long as you achieve the ultimate goal. But, of course, this would just be further ammunition for people to bitch about, and would invalidate the achievement. Somehow. You won't be getting "hit like a truck" if you can successfully kite, but again I have not attempted the Iron Man Challenge. I am merely suggesting that it is possible.

Of course I haven't; I'm currently unsubscribed, and I never had the thought "You know what would be fun? Level 1-85 with no deaths, talents, gear, etc". It is a fun idea, and something I would actively pursue if I was. I simply don't have the time anymore to do so, nor do I have the money. I still maintain that mages would be viable candidates.

Of course not many mages have reached that far, because only 7.6% of the Iron Man Challenge are mages. Compare that to, say, Paladins, which are amazingly almost double the amount. For some reason.

Either way, kudos to Kripp, hunter or not.
    I just love people like you: "I'm currently unsubscribed, have never done this so i can't talk from personal experience, but please take me seriously as i make a serious suggestion which i will base only on pure speculation and guesswork."
    Yeah. That's. Nice. To say the least. Thank you for that completely useful input on your part. Lemme just get through some points in your post. The thing that you obviously fail to understand is the reliance of a mage class on it's talents and gear. Every spell has a base mana cost, and with no stats on gear that's actually flat mana cost considering the fact that base = actual mana with no gear on. The cost of 1 frostbolt is 13% of that mana. The cost of icelance is 6%. If those two numbers alone aren't enough for you to get a clear picture of things then let me illustrate it for your convenience.

You will not kill a mob over level 30 with 3 frostbolts, or 4, or 5, or 6, or 7 etc. With base frostbolt damage, you will need 10+ frostbolts (on average, including crits) to down a mob. How much is 13%x10? I leave that to you to figure it out.
    Now let's take icelance into consideration. Icelance costs 2x less than frostbolt, but does half it's damage unless the target is frozen. So, unless the target is frozen, cost to damage ratio of icelance is almost identical to frostbolt. When is the target frozen? Specless mage can only use Frost Nova to freeze enemies. It's a spell with 25sec cooldown and 7% mana cost. So depending on your luck, you may fire off up to 3 icelances on a frozen target before the frost effect breaks which will save up to 3x7% (the difference in cost of 3frostbolts vs 3icelances) - 7% (the cost of Frost Nova) of mana. Which still ends up at more than your entire mana pool for just one mob. Can you grasp now the severity of leveling a mage this way? And this is only on level 30. As you continue progressing, mobs health increases rapidly while base damage of your skills is only slightly enhanced. At certain point, your entire mana pool + evo won't be enough to down even 1 mob. That's where your journey ends. As far as combat is concerned. You could still do dailies if you manage to get to zones that have them, but you won't. So, effectively, finishing the ironman challenge with a mage is impossible. There are no buts and maybes and "it will just take 5years!", it's simply not possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Senaelanna View Post
    Why would I waste my time killing green mobs to 85? It's stupid. He should have saved his time and hit the gym. PS I'm a legendary player in WoW back when the game was actually good. I can do anything I put my mind to. I rest MY case. LOL. EAT IT.
    In your head maybe. If you were a legendary player people would know you already and you wouldnt have to tell people. The fact that you keep doing so only proves your arent, that and no one knows you. You havent rested anything. It would be like me saying "I can sprint 100m in under 10 seconds, I know I can, therefore I dont actually have to but will act like I did".
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Deleted

Ironman Challenge not completed yet :o

Btw: did noone else notice that the guy who was first to complete the challenge (mad props to him, great skills and patience) didn't actually work by the rules? If you check the forumpost
    us.battle[/url][dot]net/wow/en/forum/topic/4015202822?page=1
    it clearly says that you can't use any professions or secundary skills except for First Aid.

us.battle[/url][dot]net/wow/en/character/turalyon/Kripparrian/advanced
    however clearly shows that he got part of a fishing achievement BEFORE he dinged 85. Which means he technically didn't follow the rules...
    Not here to bitch about it, because as I said: mad props. But the challenge is still open for the next to complete WITHOUT fishing

ps: sorry for the crappy links, no rights yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenvoid View Post
    Btw: did noone else notice that the guy who was first to complete the challenge (mad props to him, great skills and patience) didn't actually work by the rules? If you check the forumpost
    us.battle[/url][dot]net/wow/en/forum/topic/4015202822?page=1
    it clearly says that you can't use any professions or secundary skills except for First Aid.

us.battle[/url][dot]net/wow/en/character/turalyon/Kripparrian/advanced
    however clearly shows that he got part of a fishing achievement BEFORE he dinged 85. Which means he technically didn't follow the rules...
    Not here to bitch about it, because as I said: mad props. But the challenge is still open for the next to complete WITHOUT fishing

ps: sorry for the crappy links, no rights yet.
    You should read through the thread before you post. That has already been cleared up, he completed the challenge following the rules.

Deleted
    Did that guy Kripparrian, pee in his pants or what ?

Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff316 View Post
    You should read through the thread before you post. That has already been cleared up, he completed the challenge following the rules.
    Proove it... (you can't) Anybody could equip full heirlooms, and remove them once they logout. This challenge is almost pointless, did that guy seriously wet his pants over it ? this sounds like it when you read the "interview"... and the fact there even is an "interview", proove he wasn't the only one to wet himself.
    Last edited by mmoc1d1ec1edc2; 2012-03-04 at 03:08 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DontTakeEmOff316 View Post
    You are correct, I appologize. I missed that part of the threat. Once again mad props to him then.

Quote Originally Posted by Fichek View Post
    I just love people like you: "I'm currently unsubscribed, have never done this so i can't talk from personal experience, but please take me seriously as i make a serious suggestion which i will base only on pure speculation and guesswork."
    Yeah. That's. Nice. To say the least. Thank you for that completely useful input on your part.
    I say that for full disclosure. You know, so I let people know my situation, instead of talking like I've done it ten times and am an expert. I guess I should stop being logical and fair in my arguments, since it hinders my argument. Sigh. What are your qualifications? Have you done it ten times, successfully? No? Okay then.

Lemme just get through some points in your post. The thing that you obviously fail to understand is the reliance of a mage class on it's talents and gear. Every spell has a base mana cost, and with no stats on gear that's actually flat mana cost considering the fact that base = actual mana with no gear on. The cost of 1 frostbolt is 13% of that mana. The cost of icelance is 6%. If those two numbers alone aren't enough for you to get a clear picture of things then let me illustrate it for your convenience.

You will not kill a mob over level 30 with 3 frostbolts, or 4, or 5, or 6, or 7 etc. With base frostbolt damage, you will need 10+ frostbolts (on average, including crits) to down a mob. How much is 13%x10? I leave that to you to figure it out.
    Now let's take icelance into consideration. Icelance costs 2x less than frostbolt, but does half it's damage unless the target is frozen. So, unless the target is frozen, cost to damage ratio of icelance is almost identical to frostbolt. When is the target frozen? Specless mage can only use Frost Nova to freeze enemies. It's a spell with 25sec cooldown and 7% mana cost. So depending on your luck, you may fire off up to 3 icelances on a frozen target before the frost effect breaks which will save up to 3x7% (the difference in cost of 3frostbolts vs 3icelances) - 7% (the cost of Frost Nova) of mana. Which still ends up at more than your entire mana pool for just one mob. Can you grasp now the severity of leveling a mage this way? And this is only on level 30. As you continue progressing, mobs health increases rapidly while base damage of your skills is only slightly enhanced. At certain point, your entire mana pool + evo won't be enough to down even 1 mob. That's where your journey ends. As far as combat is concerned. You could still do dailies if you manage to get to zones that have them, but you won't. So, effectively, finishing the ironman challenge with a mage is impossible. There are no buts and maybes and "it will just take 5years!", it's simply not possible.
    Fair enough. As I've said, I haven't considered mana cost, I've been thinking about the abilities and what not. I would, however, like to point out that mages have abilities such as Evocation and Conjure Mana Gem, things that would help in this department. But whatever, it's impossible.

Regardless, I'm over this conversation. It's pointless when the other side won't entertain anything, and we're not giving credit to Kripp, which this thread should be about. So I'll say it again, kudos Kripp.

Deleted
    I like how he "chose" hunter. So very very lame.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do PvP deaths count? Lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Love the photobombing Forsaken rogue in the 3rd fanart picture, with the female fire-casting mage.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have an idea. A sort of masochist challenge.

-All of the rules of the original Ironman challenge
    -You can only play a priest
    -You cannot learn any spells
    -You cannot do any quests
    -You cannot equip any gear
    -You cannot loot anything
    -You must only use unarmed melee attacks
    -Also, while we're at it, you must do it on a PvP server and every 10 minutes must yell "I am doing the Super Iron Man Challenge. Please kill me."
    -Also, you cannot look at your screen or use your fingers.
    -Also, there will be a wolverine in your trousers.

First person to 85 wins. Gogogogogogogogo.
    Last edited by thatbezoguy; 2012-03-05 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanîdaho View Post
    To be considered part of the challenge there is some ladder out there you get put on, that tracks certain things that are against the rules. He is the first one who did it on the ladder. If not done on the ladder it does not count I believe. If you have not tried it and are thinking its easy, its really hard near the end.
    First: That ladder is fairly new and came long after the release of Cataclysm. IMO the players who completed the Ironman Challenge before the ladder was even avaliable still count.
    Second: The software used for the ladder is still buggy. It disqualified many players (me included) for no valid reasons.

So being first on the ladder doesn't equal World First. It just means first on the ladder. Nothing more, nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by Kripparrian View Post
    The majority of the rules can be enforced by checking the statistics tab. wowironman.com performs this checking service quite well.
    Yeah, "quite well" is the right term, because it's definitely not 100% accurate. My first 2 characters were disqualified for no valid reasons, and after a short break i'm trying the challenge with my 3rd one. If i'm disqualified again, then i will just simply stop. It's pointless to do this challenge, if the software used for the ladder is still buggy.

WTG Krip. I know I would try it but in no way would I ever complete it. I am not sure which class I would think best for this but a pet class should theoretically be easier. Probably any class with a good get out of combat move should be easier. Not sure how any mana using class, especially those with heals, survive post 80 with the mana costs.

To everyone that is replying "lol he played a hunter". Not to belittle what he did, but there has to be an easiest and hardest class to play. The rules dont mandate what class to play, only what to do and what not to do and attempt to win.

If hunters are are the "best" class why didn't other hunters beat him or why we dont see tons of hunters finishing 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th etc? Look at the link I provide, A TON of players are playing a hunter and are 1+ levels behind him.. He obviously put in the most time, effort and had the most skill to finish the challenge.

So, regardless GRATS TO HIM.

wowironman check the others.
    Last edited by sved; 2012-03-06 at 09:23 AM.

Deleted
    Well done! Grats

Deleted
    Wasn't part of the challenge to randomly pick a race/class combo?If he chose hunter by himself then...