Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    games like Cod and other fps will always be better on consoles
    Could not disagree more. I love my console controller for some games (driving, platforming .. ) but FPS on a console is just terrible in comparison to the precision and speed of a mouse.

---------- Post added 2012-03-03 at 09:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    This is silly. If you're a PC gamer one of the things you take pride in is your rig. If you're a console gamer you have 3 competitive platforms. There is no bridging the gap between console and PC.
    I think you're being shortsighted in this assertion; the gap could virtually be bridged instantly by incorporating keyboard and mouse compatibility into the next generation Sony/Microsoft console. If your gaming preferences are for RTS, MMO or FPS then you're probably (exceptions exist ofc) going to be wanting to use a KB+M and that means you're presently restricted to buying a gaming PC. It's going to be way more expensive than a console and designed to do tons of stuff that you're not really bothered about.

There's clearly a niche for a games-oriented KB+M "console" imo.

Quote Originally Posted by FeralDruid View Post
    I think you're being shortsighted in this assertion; the gap could virtually be bridged instantly by incorporating keyboard and mouse compatibility into the next generation Sony/Microsoft console. If your gaming preferences are for RTS, MMO or FPS then you're probably (exceptions exist ofc) going to be wanting to use a KB+M and that means you're presently restricted to buying a gaming PC. It's going to be way more expensive than a console and designed to do tons of stuff that you're not really bothered about.

There's clearly a niche for a games-oriented KB+M "console" imo.
    I agree there's a Niche for this type of thing in the younger crowd, the school crowd and the low income crowd. I might be short sighted because I enjoy the aspect of keeping up with PC parts and that's probably due to my disposable income and where I've focused my hobbies.

10+ Year Old Account
    PC elitists tremble at the thought of console users enjoying PC games. Too funny.

I would love something like this. Worst thing about PC gaming is the PC.
    I like sandwiches

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope this idea goes the way of the Phantom. I like Valve but I loathe anything remotely Steam related.

Quote Originally Posted by FeralDruid View Post
    Could not disagree more. I love my console controller for some games (driving, platforming .. ) but FPS on a console is just terrible in comparison to the precision and speed of a mouse.[COLOR="red"]
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/15/call-o...in-first-week/

Activision’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 has become the fastest-selling video game in history, crushing previous records set by earlier titles in the Call of Duty franchise. The game lab on Tuesday announced that week-one sales of Modern Warfare 3 totaled 12.3 million units, making it the biggest launch of all time and pulling in an estimated $738 million in revenue. The Xbox 360 version of the game lead sales with more than 7 million copies, a record for game sales on a single console that was previously held by Call of Duty: Black Ops (5.8 million), and 4.8 million copies were sold for the PlayStation 3. Nintendo’s Wii split the remaining half-million copies with the PC version of the game.
    numbers dont lie and the most popular FPS games have sold more on consoles then on the pc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Batman View Post
    Sounds like a euphemism for real life. We throw money at the rich, in hopes that we will someday be rich, and then we get hookers to piss on us. That's what trickle down economics really is.

Don't turn this into a PC vs. Console argument guys. This isn't the place for it and those arguments never end well.

I have a "steam box" it's called my PC. Please Valve, no.

Just... no.

lmao to bad on the majority of games that are pc and console based the console versions sells more copies than the pc version. Also yes games made for the pc and ported to conse are gonna be better on pc but games like Cod and other fps will always be better on consoles and have a bigger market. PS3 and Xbox will never die and not to mention the PS4 is rumored to be a high end pc and game console in one meaning u can play console games and pc games at max res and ultra levels
    Basically, the main difference between consoles and PCs (not trying to diss on consoles here) is the hardware capabilities. Games for a PC can be developed that push the envelope on the latest hardware technology to do things that aren't even remotely possible on consoles. With that said, Sony put a lot of money and development time into the Cell processor for use a heavy processor to be used in a variety of ways, mainly as the workhorse in PS3 to replace the typical CPU/GPU combo that has become the mainstay in console architecture.

Side by side evaluations of games being shown on all 3 consoles, show that in nearly every case, PS3 versions of games look somewhat better than either Xbox or Wii versions. However, Sony has flat out said that even the most recent titles that have released for PS3 DO NOT come anywhere close to pushing the limits of the PS3 hardware.

While I don't doubt that they are working on the PS4 and other iterations, my point is that it's not Sony who determines how well games and software turn out for their console (except in the case of exclusive titles, which have been greatly diminished over time). Even if they do come out with the next version of Play Station, it's still up to the developers to work towards bridging the gap between games on PCs and games on consoles. From what we've seen in the last 6 years (since the PS3 has come out), developers aren't interested in doing that.

A Steambox would definitely be a game changer, boasting hardware that directly competes with PCs, while giving gamers access to their steam collection to be played on their TV in console fashion.

As a side note, I've always felt weird about hooking my PC up to my TV (where it sits in my living room) because the PC peripherals are designed to be used on a flat surface such as a table or a desktop, and are most comfortably used at armchair level. Consoles seem more appropriate in your living room than a PC because they boast a control scheme that can be enjoyed comfortably in lazy boy bean bag chair mode.

I think the entire concept behind the steambox is to provide PC titles in console fashion with the hardware envelope of a PC, which is something that no console currently does.

numbers dont lie and the most popular FPS games have sold more on consoles then on the pc
    Most people don't utilize their PC in their living rooms, where they comfortably lounge about and watch movies/play games. Consoles have successfully given people the ability to sit in any accommodation and utilize their peripherals at 100%. You could be laying on the ground, and it wouldn't affect your ability to use a controller in the slightest.

Try using a mouse and keyboard in that position, and you immediately discover why people don't play their PCs on their TV in their living rooms. PCs are generally suited to be used at a desk/table in an office environment. While yes, console games tend to be more successful than their PC counterparts, that doesn't always have to be the case. If a company launched a console with PC specs (upgradable too) that plugged directly into their TV and was made to be comfortably used like a console, while still utilizing the hardware at a PC level, you'd have a huge revolution on your hands, especially if that console were launched at a price point that consoles are used to.

It would force the PC industry to lower prices, and it would force the console industry to step up their quality.

I'm not saying Steambox is going to come out of the gates and become the new king of the gaming industry, but I am saying that there's definitely room for console games to grow, and Steambox could definitely do what consoles haven't yet done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something like that would absolutely destroy microsoft and sony. I doubt it would hurt wii much but it might. It's a good business decision, but it's also a very far leap for steam to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    Something like that would absolutely destroy microsoft and sony. I doubt it would hurt wii much but it might. It's a good business decision, but it's also a very far leap for steam to pull off.
    I'm not sure, Microsoft has one of the most powerful weapons... money. A lot of PC gamers know Valve, but I'm not sure they would have the same name recognition with the xbox/playstation playing masses.

Deleted
    keyboard + mouse and we're on our way to gaming revolution, valve <3
    - On a more serious note, it needs a free hat.

Quote Originally Posted by Collegeguy View Post
    I highly doubt a steam machine if it happened would destroy MS and Sony.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its's silly how some of you are saying "it's going to be too expensive, i can't use a keyboard, i can't use mods, i can't this or i can't that." We dont actually know how this will work out if it ever comes out. Things like this is how big innovations are made, coming out with something people haven't thought of or something people think they don't want and it turns out to start a revolution in the industry.

Personally I like it. I understand people who would rather play this than sit at a computer and play games. If this will let you play your current steam library and it would almost certainly have to have keyboard and mouse functionality or some games just wouldn't be playable. And i bet that if this is indeed true that this is how we will see and play Half Life 3 and TF3.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    Most people don't utilize their PC in their living rooms, where they comfortably lounge about and watch movies/play games. Consoles have successfully given people the ability to sit in any accommodation and utilize their peripherals at 100%. You could be laying on the ground, and it wouldn't affect your ability to use a controller in the slightest.

Try using a mouse and keyboard in that position, and you immediately discover why people don't play their PCs on their TV in their living rooms. PCs are generally suited to be used at a desk/table in an office environment. While yes, console games tend to be more successful than their PC counterparts, that doesn't always have to be the case. If a company launched a console with PC specs (upgradable too) that plugged directly into their TV and was made to be comfortably used like a console, while still utilizing the hardware at a PC level, you'd have a huge revolution on your hands, especially if that console were launched at a price point that consoles are used to.

It would force the PC industry to lower prices, and it would force the console industry to step up their quality.

I'm not saying Steambox is going to come out of the gates and become the new king of the gaming industry, but I am saying that there's definitely room for console games to grow, and Steambox could definitely do what consoles haven't yet done.
    basically a quality, affordable version of the new alienware X51.

(about the size of the original PS3, but with much better equipment inside)

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 04:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    And i bet that if this is indeed true that this is how we will see and play Half Life 3 and TF3.
    this is what I am thinking to. They know if they make TF3 and HL3 steam account exclusive titles, then LOADS of people will either make accounts, or buy the steambox. its a win win for them.

I don't think they would make Left for dead 3 a steam only title, that would probably actually be a negative for them.

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 04:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by DavidGX View Post
    I'm not sure, Microsoft has one of the most powerful weapons... money. A lot of PC gamers know Valve, but I'm not sure they would have the same name recognition with the xbox/playstation playing masses.
    Left for dead 2 sold over 11 million copies, and the majority of those were on consoles, not to mention the orange box was a massive cross platform success as well.
    I think there are probably quit a few console players who know of valve.
    Last edited by Defengar; 2012-03-04 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    http://www.bgr.com/2011/11/15/call-o...in-first-week/

Eroginous already beat me to it, your understanding of what those numbers actually imply is statistically childish to put it nicely. I can sympathize with a player preference for the controller but there was an IGN or gamespy article a few years ago where the CoD makes allowed PC and console players to play on the servers, against each other on their respective platforms. Put it this way mediocre PC players crapped all over some of the world's best console players.

Edit: Found em:

http://www.gameranx.com/updates/id/7...aming-project/
    http://techcrunch.com/2010/07/21/did...-were-too-bad/
    http://www.rahulsood.com/2010/07/con...gainst-pc.html
    Last edited by shimerra; 2012-03-04 at 11:13 AM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

The sole purpose of this product is to allow people with "bad" computers to be able to play the games offered on Steam

Deleted
    As much as I am rooting for the Nintendo console to turn out well I can't really see this failing, Valve being Valve and Steam being Steam. More competition can only do the market good.

PC fanatics will stick to building an overpowered PC. Console gamers will stick to paying 299 or less. I have no idea for who this steambox is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope they don't allow EA games on it, so i can lmao at EA for losing even more money.

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 02:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Farora View Post
    PC fanatics will stick to building an overpowered PC. Console gamers will stick to paying 299 or less. I have no idea for who this steambox is.
    This is not for PC gamers, this is for console gamers, and steam can find a way to price it low, just like microsoft said their next console is gonna be as cheap is not cheaper than the current 360 even though it will be 6x or more powerful. it depends on who they have manufacture their hardware and stuff.

Here is the picture of the valve box
    Last edited by MKing; 2012-03-04 at 02:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MKing View Post
    I hope they don't allow EA games on it, so i can lmao at EA for losing even more money.

---------- Post added 2012-03-04 at 02:15 PM ----------

This is not for PC gamers, this is for console gamers, and steam can find a way to price it low, just like microsoft said their next console is gonna be as cheap is not cheaper than the current 360 even though it will be 6x or more powerful. it depends on who they have manufacture their hardware and stuff.

Here is the picture of the valve box
    I seriously doubt thats what it looks like.