Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    I am not yet completely aware of all of GW2's combat mechanics. I'm sorry if it is a silly question, but can you show me a video where this issue is occurring?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by achareat View Post
    I am not yet completely aware of all of GW2's combat mechanics. I'm sorry if it is a silly question, but can you show me a video where this issue is occurring?

Thank you!
    Quick example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGNSu...edFAAAAAAAADAA

Skip to 10:00

---------- Post added 2012-03-03 at 03:53 PM ----------

Actually, the first battle they do demonstrates it better. Watch that bit instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    *Most mechanics are "stay X feet from Y", yet the game has no range finder.
    The only range finder you can get is from an addon and is text based, yet Wow is not a text based game.
    Then when someone developed a visual range notifier (AVR), Blizzard banned it.
    DBM has a radar-style range finder now, with little colored dots showing up for your raid members.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

I personaly think they are necessary.
    But sometimes they are indeed looking like not in right place. They sort of deminish visual effects awesomeness.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think they are absolutely necessary. I mean it is a pretty good way to tell when you need to dodge roll out of a bad aoe and when to stay in a friendly aoe. I think it will take people a while to get used to aoe being a thing to go to and stand in. As it is now you just stand still and run like hell if you see an aoe drop down. As it is now there are only 2 aoe's i know of (at least in WoW terms) that you see on the ground and want to stand in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

I like them, but agree they look out of place. They look cheap and really ruin the aesthetic of wherever they're found imo.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

It does look a little out of place to me, too, but I don't see how you could do without them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidGX View Post
    It does look a little out of place to me, too, but I don't see how you could do without them.
    I think after a while people will wonder how we got along without them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    I would like the ability to filter some of them. I don't need a white circle for an aoe unless it heals, grants a boon or removes a condition. If it is a friendly aoe that does none of those I don't need a circle for it.
    Either that or a transparency slider for the circles.. or perhaps both. I'm sure there are a lot of players like myself who could make them barely visible and still be able to take advantage of what they are used for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Botter View Post
    I think after a while people will wonder how we got along without them.
    Without them, we had Deadly Boss Mods telling us it was about to happen.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Balfire View Post
    I also found the choice for crayon circles in bad taste, I prefer the way WoW did it (which is odd for me to say) just different colors for friendly and enemy, having to learn the effects isn't that hard even for the average gamer. It will still be get out of the burning shit mentality for most spells you will want to leave no matter what it is.

Its definitely immersion breaking but I can live with it if I have to.
    The problem with wow's system is that they are not consistant with their AOE effects and they start to conflict with eachother. Most player effects these days are some form of rune, each class has their own theam but almost every spell has a different effect. To make maters worse some are mearly the rune projected on the ground while others are a cloud effect instead just on top of the ground, cloud effects that totaly mask the rune type AOE markers. If a deathknight is speced into decicration they are droping that green crud all over the place as part of their rotation and that spell effect covers up everything good or bad. Conversely with simpile line circles even if you have a dozen overlaping white circles you can still see the radius of that red one that screams get out.

Personaly I prefer the simpile lines that GW2 has gone with over the wow model as its much easier to see when your in the raidus of something when there's more than 1 effect active in the same area. It might be nice if they had one or two more colors to help diferentiate the effect types (something like red=enemy aoe, white=friendly aoe, green=healing)

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm extremely glad they're in the game. It allows you to know exactly how far you need to go/dodge to avoid enemy fire and where you can stand to gain ally buffs. No more guessing game!
    "It's not enough to live, you have to have something worth living for."

I think they're very necessary. Especially for a game with no trinity. It's still a lot to try to manage with your heal, utility skills, positioning and dodging. It would be nice if you could choose a setting to select a different graphic/look for the aoe circles.

These markers will be invaluable in WvW because when you do get into one of those AoE fests you can easily tell if you are just standing in a bunch of friendly AoE or a bunch of enemy AoE, and can act accordingly.

Red circles are completely necessary imo. White circles though? I say be gone with them. As long as the game is marking the bad AoEs, you know that any other spell effect is a good AoE, thus the white circles seem a bit superfluous. Not to mention, between the two, in the beta the White circle spam was getting to a point of ridiculousness.

Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Red circles are completely necessary imo. White circles though? I say be gone with them. As long as the game is marking the bad AoEs, you know that any other spell effect is a good AoE, thus the white circles seem a bit superfluous. Not to mention, between the two, in the beta the White circle spam was getting to a point of ridiculousness.
    i agree with this poster, hopefully you can turn them off because to me in the vids it looked horrid. Red yes...white no!
    Need to see it first hand tbh and not through crappy looking youtube vids.(especially yogscast horrible demos)

10+ Year Old Account
    I also am hoping I can disable friendly spell effects. It was one of the most essential options for raiding in WoW, to be able to disable that constant green glow from UH DKs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BlairPhoenix View Post
    Red circles are completely necessary imo. White circles though? I say be gone with them.
    After finally getting around to watching MikeB's dungeon video I can see your point.
    All I wonder is was the huge amount of circles in that video due to the Dev's playing heavy support roles for media scrubs, or is that standard fare.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    The outlines are there so you can tell friendly from foe AoE's.
    So much this. I can't even count the number of times in GW1 I've run into problems/wiped because someone didn't realize the Big Spell Of Doom And Knockdown wasn't actually cast by our elementalist.
    Last edited by Armond; 2012-03-04 at 10:24 PM.