ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 + i5-2500k + Overclock

So I went in to BIOS and changed the RAM because as I read, it defaults to 1333MHz instead of the 1600MHz advertised. Figured I'd post here asking in regards to overclocking the CPU. I've got a i5-2500k and a Noctua NH-D14 so I should obviously overclock to get my moneys worth :P . I looked in BIOS and a setting is on Auto but when I change to Manual it reads 33, I almost changed it to 40 as I assume that would make it go 4.0GHz seeing as it's 3.3GHz stock and that's 33 but I didn't want to take any chance messing something up. I've seen conflicting posts where some didn't change any voltage and just changed the multiplier, and that's why I'm here.

For now, I'd like to simply bump it to 4.0GHz and later on probably push for 4.5GHz or higher.

Mine sits at 4.4GHz with the same cooler, I didnt touch the voltages and it's stable but each one is different I guess xD.
    Last edited by Mega Gengar; 2012-03-04 at 12:09 PM. Reason: herp spelling.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

Quote Originally Posted by undead9 View Post
    Mine sits at 4.4GHz with the same cooler, I didnt touch the volatages and it's stable but each one is different I guess xD.
    Good to know, it's late (read: really early in the morning) so I won't be doing it yet but later when I wake up I'll probably get my old HDD hooked up to move some files then I'll go about overclocking the CPU to 4.0GHz and maybe try out 4.5GHz after.

Yeah that's a good idea, I started right at 4.0GHz then went up by .1 testing it each time, I got to 4.5 before stopping as that's where it started becoming unstable for me (bluescreens and such) so I took it down a notch and it's been fine .
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895