Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
    But will they give you a temporary reactivation period if you already have an account (not a new trial account)? That's what I meant when asking the similarities to WoW's "Scroll of Resurrection".
    I don't think so, but I get emails occasionally offering a discounted rate for resubbing if my subscription lapses... no idea when / how often they do that, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kumduh;
    If you're interested in a 21 day trial then send me a PM.
    As a forum lurker who only just recently made an account, I am unable to PM. A few friends and I had a discussion about this game the other day and has left me wanting to try it out.

I do have a question regarding the trial, however. Does EVE have stipulations that prevent trial users from doing certain things, being stuck at level 20 in WoW for example, or do they have free reign over those 21 days?
    Last edited by AtomikBagel; 2012-03-09 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomikBagel View Post
    As a forum lurker who only just recently made an account, I am unable to PM. A few friends and I had a discussion about this game the other day and has left me wanting to try it out.

I do have a question regarding the trial, however. Does EVE have stipulations that prevent trial users from doing certain things, being stuck at level 20 in WoW for example, or do they have free reign over those 21 days?
    You cant train certain things, indy ships or bcs or somthing i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    You cant train certain things, indy ships or bcs or somthing i think.
    http://support.eveonline.com/Pages/K...le.aspx?id=444

Nothing past cruiser, and no contracts. Probably the big ones, though contracts aren't super useful at low levels anyway.

15+ Year Old Account
    The nice thing is that you can purchase game time directly at any time to remove the restriction (no hassle about buying the game, although it costs slightly more for the first month unless you use a PLEX) and once you do purchase game time, it adds on to the end of your trial, rather than cutting off the trial time. You always get your full free game time.

Ok , so I played the game for one month which is not a whole lot but it gave me time to pretty much experience what I need to ....and come the the conclusion this game BLOWS unless your just a hardcore space sci-fi fan who will put up with anything .

1: The game starts you off in a long tutorial...ok that's fine but half of the tutorials are glitched you literally cannot get past them because they are so badly designed and scripted .

2: Ok so you just wing it and decide your going to keep playing and go to youtube to figure out what you should be doing . Now you find that unless you finished the broken tutorials you dont have the items you needed to do the basics ( mining or ratting )

3: Now you ask your corp for help if you can find one and they help you get into a basic fitted ship. Now you either spend the next month mining or ratting . Ok so lets use wow terms ...mining is just what you think it is only more boring ...mining in eve is like fishing in wow possibly even more boring . Doing quests in eve is just about as boring as questing in the starting areas in wow and you have to do this for a long time . Now after a long while you can get enough skill points to join your corp in some support pvp ...this means you sit and buff some other ship or debuff an enemy ship ...you dont actually do any interested pvp....thats takes months and months ....

You need the patience of the oak to play that game . I am happy some people like it but if you like arcade action style games EVE is not for you .

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    Ok , so I played the game for one month which is not a whole lot but it gave me time to pretty much experience what I need to ....and come the the conclusion this game BLOWS unless your just a hardcore space sci-fi fan who will put up with anything .

1: The game starts you off in a long tutorial...ok that's fine but half of the tutorials are glitched you literally cannot get past them because they are so badly designed and scripted .
    I did the tut that showed you how to leave station and stopped, havnt done any others since.

Evewiki is your best friend, if you dont use it you will just dig yourself into some deep holes.

2: Ok so you just wing it and decide your going to keep playing and go to youtube to figure out what you should be doing . Now you find that unless you finished the broken tutorials you dont have the items you needed to do the basics ( mining or ratting )
    I started with nothing from the tuts since i didnt do them, I built myself up, now im rolling in 0.0 with 3 accounts, 2 bill in the bank and ABC ores as far as the eye can see, a miners dream.

3: Now you ask your corp for help if you can find one and they help you get into a basic fitted ship. Now you either spend the next month mining or ratting . Ok so lets use wow terms ...mining is just what you think it is only more boring ...mining in eve is like fishing in wow possibly even more boring . Doing quests in eve is just about as boring as questing in the starting areas in wow and you have to do this for a long time . Now after a long while you can get enough skill points to join your corp in some support pvp ...this means you sit and buff some other ship or debuff an enemy ship ...you dont actually do any interested pvp....thats takes months and months ....

You need the patience of the oak to play that game . I am happy some people like it but if you like arcade action style games EVE is not for you .
    Mining is awsome, and a great way to rack up the isk. Ratting is somthing you can do once you have some good skills and shiny ships, PVP really is the thrill biter. the massive powerbloc fights are fucking insane, 2000+ players and ships in one system, 500 cap ships, the siege of a alliances cap system. But you really can do anything in this game, since its all player driven everything you use is made, built bought by players.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    PVP really is the thrill biter. the massive powerbloc fights are fucking insane, 2000+ players and ships in one system, 500 cap ships, the siege of a alliances cap system.
    There was just such a battle the other night.

You can read about it here and here

Deleted
    I wouldn't say that the advantage for old school players are that big. You can get level 4 in anything you want pretty fast (provided you dedicate yourself to that one role), and that is generally enough.

The main difference between old school players and fairly new ones is when it comes to the really big ships (capital ships and the like) as that take immense ammounts of time to skill up to, and that they can generally do many more roles then you can as a newbie.

The real problem with starting out in Eve really is that you pretty much NEED friends to play with. If you don't, there's not much you can do, because if you leave high-sec space you will be brutally murdered.
    Fortunally, there are many corps that do take newbies, and i'd say that the community in Eve is one of the most friendly towards newbies. They might kill you if they get the chance, but there's lots of people willing to teach you how to play.

I'm looking forward to try Eve online someday, but can someone please lead me to list of Corps and their nationalities. Also I have another question is EVE servers is similar to WoW EU and US servers ?

EVE has only one server where both EU and NA play. Really cool if you ask me.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by azthal View Post
    I wouldn't say that the advantage for old school players are that big. You can get level 4 in anything you want pretty fast (provided you dedicate yourself to that one role), and that is generally enough.

The main difference between old school players and fairly new ones is when it comes to the really big ships (capital ships and the like) as that take immense ammounts of time to skill up to, and that they can generally do many more roles then you can as a newbie.

The real problem with starting out in Eve really is that you pretty much NEED friends to play with. If you don't, there's not much you can do, because if you leave high-sec space you will be brutally murdered.
    Fortunally, there are many corps that do take newbies, and i'd say that the community in Eve is one of the most friendly towards newbies. They might kill you if they get the chance, but there's lots of people willing to teach you how to play.
    EVE University is a huge corporation that is dedicated to helping new players, even 'teaching' them stuff such as fleet tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Grable View Post
    EVE has only one server where both EU and NA play. Really cool if you ask me.
    It's a huge cluster of servers technically, but yeah. There's also Japan that plays, as well as Australia and the majority of the rest of the world.

I think China is seperate.

EVE is not a game anyone will like or can play, it can be immensely boring or extremely interesting.

Basic PVE combat IS boring, but it's a lot of fun in higher end PVE, such as Wormhole Exploration.

PVP combat may LOOK boring, but it will take a long time to get over the adrenaline rush and pumped feeling you get everytime you fight, because there is so much damage to do to the other guy (emotional, financial, and the list goes on), but at the same time so much damage YOU can receive, so it turns into high risk - high reward explosive combat.

Mining IS boring as gameplay, but if you can see past the mundane activity you'll understand that what you're doing is beyond mindlessly mining ore, you're feeding an entire war machine through complex processes.
    Last edited by mmoc3fe040ec5f; 2012-03-15 at 11:57 AM.

EVE University is a huge corporation that is dedicated to helping new players, even 'teaching' them stuff such as fleet tactics.
    TBH they really arnt needed. They are very corrupt and not everything that thier shining name puts them out to be. Read Eve wiki if your a new player. Eve wiki is you biggest asset, i did 3 tuts which pretty much taught me how to leave station, and 3 months later i was in nullsec where i am now soaking up the juicy abc ore, watching netflix, or playing xbox, raking in profits with little to no effort. With the massive rise in mineral prices mining is one of the most profitable ways to go atm. Though word of advice, leave highsec as soon as possible if your going to mine, nullsec is the safest place you can mine hands down.

I've tried picking up EVE quite a few times. I think something like 5-6 months over the span of many years. I play for a few weeks, get bored and only log in to update skills until my subscription runs out. It keeps coming back to the fact that:

The pvp is completely free, and the game promotes scamming and cheating and corporate espionage, so it's practically impossible to develop any kind of trust with other players. The learning curve is pretty tough, but once you get past that, the pve mainly consists of targeting a ship, setting orbit, turning on guns, and going afk till it dies, repeat. The combat itself is silly boring gameplay wise, and is mostly about choosing the right target, having the right ship setup, and stuff.

I've tried to like EVE, I really have, because I like the concept at it's core, but it seems to me that it fails in execution.

10+ Year Old Account
    The PVE does feel odd, the combat in general as well, but some cases in PVP orbits, trans-versals and kiting can add to the depth. But as brought up at the current Fanfest (Going on right now), once you get in a corp and have some trust
    the game becomes 100x better. EVE is a game where if you solo you can get stuff done, but if you play with others you multiply the fun 100x, probably why the games subscribers grows slow because of retention rate (people hear stories of EVE and scamming, play trial and get scared / leave )

notes; currently multi-box 2 acc's and was currently solo, was in corp. Definitive much more glaring 'waiting around' times