Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    And coach Cal gets his ring (until the NCAA throws out this UK season like they have done with seemingly every one of his teams). Kentucky was damned good all year, not surprised at all to see them win. Now the question is will Coach Cal go pro like so many of his players will be? Wouldn't surprise me at all if someone in the NBA throws a boat of money at him. He could have been a good NBA coach before if the Nets front office didn't suck so bad. Could you imagine the Nets if they had drafted Kobe instead of passing because he was "too young?"
    I don't know why he would go to the NBA he doesn't have the advantage he does in collage and I'm not talking about the cheating I'm just talking about recruiting in general. Your at arguable the the Basketball school in history so you have a recruiting edge right there and the fact that he wants them to go to the NBA he talks about it all the time in interviews that I have heard him on. IDK I just think it would be dumb if he went to the pros the only reason I could think of is if he gets banned from games and goes to the NBA to get out of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
    UK has a chick in the front office that is insanely tight on things, i can't see these been vacated. That cheating/vacated wins is just a stink that will never be washed off him. He is an amazing coach to me, getting superstars to play together.
    The guy is an absolutely amazing coach. You have to be phenomenal to have such a rotating cast of players every year and always be successful. He has built up two programs from nothing and returned Kentucky to prominence. Its a shame he is going to have those black marks on his resume forever, just like my beloved Wolverines /sob, but that shouldn't diminish his accomplishments.

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 11:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I don't know why he would go to the NBA he doesn't have the advantage he does in collage and I'm not talking about the cheating I'm just talking about recruiting in general. Your at arguable the the Basketball school in history so you have a recruiting edge right there and the fact that he wants them to go to the NBA he talks about it all the time in interviews that I have heard him on. IDK I just think it would be dumb if he went to the pros the only reason I could think of is if he gets banned from games and goes to the NBA to get out of it.
    He has his national championship now. He has taken team after team to the Final Four and now has a ring. There isn't much else he can accomplish in college and he has always seemed like a coach with potential NBA aspirations. I could see him jumping to the pros chasing the next big challenge rather than keep on the same path in college of developing pros, being successful, and having no other level of success to reach.

I got to UK and its a madhouse on campus. Left before they started lighting stuff on fire.

People should stop bashing coach cal. I don't think any other coach could take a group this young this far. Number 8!!!

BIG BLUE NATION!!! GR8NESS!!!! BACK TO THE PROMISED LAND!!!!!

Some photos

Thank You Shyama for the sig again!!

Think Cal is under contract until 2016. I also think we're going to be getting a few surprises (good ones) for next season.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    The guy is an absolutely amazing coach. You have to be phenomenal to have such a rotating cast of players every year and always be successful. He has built up two programs from nothing and returned Kentucky to prominence. Its a shame he is going to have those black marks on his resume forever, just like my beloved Wolverines /sob, but that shouldn't diminish his accomplishments.

---------- Post added 2012-04-02 at 11:55 PM ----------

He has his national championship now. He has taken team after team to the Final Four and now has a ring. There isn't much else he can accomplish in college and he has always seemed like a coach with potential NBA aspirations. I could see him jumping to the pros chasing the next big challenge rather than keep on the same path in college of developing pros, being successful, and having no other level of success to reach.
    He does have his national title but he also has had his NBA stint which he failed I know he said he wasn't going to be coaching Kentucky forever because of the stress but think about if he stays and wins a lot of titles he could go down as one of the best coaches ever in college basketball.

15+ Year Old Account
    He does have his national title but he also has had his NBA stint which he failed I know he said he wasn't going to be coaching Kentucky forever because of the stress but think about if he stays and wins a lot of titles he could go down as one of the best coaches ever in college basketball.
    I wouldn't say failed. He took over an absolutely miserable Nets teams that was garbage most of the 90s. First season was mediocre/awful because the team had no one. That offseason they traded for Kieth Van Horn and the Nets made the playoffs for the first time in a couple years. The next season was the lockout year with the shortened season. They came out, Sam Cassel got hurt and missed almost the entire year, and the Nets fell apart before trading for Marbury and then firing Cal. One playoff appearance in two and a half seasons isn't bad, especially considering the Nets picked up 26 wins in his second year over his first which is ridiculous.

10+ Year Old Account
    But what team would give him a call the Wizards or Bobcats thanks but no thanks if I was him I would wait until a bigger profile team opened up in the future like the Celts,Pacers.....wait if the Heat don't win the championship I could see him going there for sure. He is kinda like Phil Jackson in the fact that he can manage the big name players and there egos so that might be something to look out for.

15+ Year Old Account
    But what team would give him a call the Wizards or Bobcats thanks but no thanks if I was him I would wait until a bigger profile team opened up in the future like the Celts,Pacers.....wait if the Heat don't win the championship I could see him going there for sure. He is kinda like Phil Jackson in the fact that he can manage the big name players and there egos so that might be something to look out for.
    OMG could you imagine if the Heat fired Spo, who I think is an incredibly mediocre coach, and hired Cal? That would be insane. It is ridiculously inexcusable that Spo hasn't found a way to really run a half court offense with James and Wade and that they still have almost no go to end of game plays.

And there is a team that will be looking for a coach this offseason. A team with a superstar PG and a superstar PF. A team in a major market. A team with potential to be great but they aren't quite there because of the coach who is just awful.

The Los Angeles Clippers.

This also applies to the Knicks.
    Last edited by conscript; 2012-04-04 at 12:24 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hum I could see him going to the both of those markets as well it fits him that's for sure same with Miami which again would be an awesome fit man I keep imagining the headlines/storylines if coach Cal went to the Heat.....now I really hope the Heat loses.

I think he's a phenomenal recruiter. He's a great evaluator of talent. I don't think he's a particularly great in game coach. Good, just not amazing. This Kentucky team was stacked. You don't run through the tournament like they just did because your coach is great. They were just flat out that much better than everyone else. Trust me, I'm a Gator fan. We played them twice. I don't think he has anything to gain from going to the pros. Stay at Kentucky, continue to snag the best recruits in the SEC, and live large. In 15 years, when he's got a couple more conference championships and another title if he's lucky, the school will name a road for him and he can retire a hero.

I just don't think his particular areas of strength translate well to the NBA.

Shitty tournament after the first weekend though. Nothing overly exciting. The lowest seed in the Elite Eight was a 7, Florida. Not exactly a Cinderella story. And, as I said, Kentucky just killed everyone they played. Anticlimactic for sure.
    Last edited by buck008; 2012-04-04 at 06:18 PM.