Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    swtpr copied from wow. Blizzard made the mmo first you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
    swtpr copied from wow. Blizzard made the mmo first you know.
    Get out. Just leave.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    why not? Players don't like flexibility and convenience? You people spout the INNOVATIVE meme over and over again in bashing ToR but when WoW has an archaic model you jump all over it.
    SWTOR zones are complete silos. They segregate them and wall them off with the orbital stations/hangers. Your hearth only works inside one zone. That means if you're on Hoth and want to get to DK, your Quick Travel is barely any help at all. Why in the world would WoW ever want to borrow that model? Tonight I took my alchemist to Uldum, used my transmute, hearthed back, and then ported to Hyjal to do dailies. To do something like that in SWTOR, you'd have to run through empty hangers and orbital stations galore.

WoW's quest flow also means you don't usually end up in some dead end corridor where you feel the need to hearth out anyway. That tired design died with vanilla. With the well laid-out flight paths and flying mounts, hearths are used much less often than they were in the old vanilla design.

Which game has the more archaic model, then? The one with walled off zones that have dead ends you really want to hearth out of, or the one with proper quest flow and open spaces where you move across the map naturally and you don't really feel the need to hearth in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    SWTOR zones are complete silos. They segregate them and wall them off with the orbital stations/hangers. Your hearth only works inside one zone. That means if you're on Hoth and want to get to DK, your Quick Travel is barely any help at all. Why in the world would WoW ever want to borrow that model? Tonight I took my alchemist to Uldum, used my transmute, hearthed back, and then ported to Hyjal to do dailies. To do something like that in SWTOR, you'd have to run through empty hangers and orbital stations galore.

WoW's quest flow also means you don't usually end up in some dead end corridor where you feel the need to hearth out anyway. That tired design died with vanilla. With the well laid-out flight paths and flying mounts, hearths are used much less often than they were in the old vanilla design.

Which game has the more archaic model, then? The one with walled off zones that have dead ends you really want to hearth out of, or the one with proper quest flow and open spaces where you move across the map naturally and you don't really feel the need to hearth in the first place?
    Skirt around the fucking issue all you like. I still do not see a single fucking reason why warcraft can't and shouldn't implement the hearth stone model from swtor. Instead of giving me a good reason why not, all you can do is praise wow and bash swtor. I get it don't worry.

Skirt around the fucking issue all you like. I still do not see a single fucking reason why warcraft can't and shouldn't implement the hearth stone model from swtor. Instead of giving me a good reason why not, all you can do is praise wow and bash swtor. I get it don't worry.
    He made a logical and valid reason for why Bliz wouldn't move to the SWTOR "hearth" method. You on the other hand, just attacked him because he made a valid point...basically you planted some seeds, you told everyone it was an apple tree. It grew into a lemon tree, you cried that it was a lemon tree. Thus someone showed you the package of seeds stating it was a lemon tree. You still cried because it wasn't what YOU WANTED IT TO BE. His response wasn't what you expected so now you're just going to be a troll on the forums

Just report posts and ignore, calling someone a troll doesn't help anything.
    Last edited by Arlee; 2012-03-06 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lirina View Post
    He made a logical and valid reason for why Bliz wouldn't move to the SWTOR "hearth" method. You on the other hand, just attacked him because he made a valid point...basically you planted some seeds, you told everyone it was an apple tree. It grew into a lemon tree, you cried that it was a lemon tree. Thus someone showed you the package of seeds stating it was a lemon tree. You still cried because it wasn't what YOU WANTED IT TO BE. His response wasn't what you expected so now you're just going to be a troll on the forums
    No all he did was praise how cataclysm redesigned the world. that's fine. I don't see what that has to do with them implementing something similar to swtors hearth stone method. An example of why its a bad idea could be theirs technical issues, or its not worth the money to do. Praising the shit out of something and then claiming thats the reason they shouldn't get the hearthstone model for swtor isn't a valid reason. It's just a fucking advertisement for Blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    No all he did was praise how cataclysm redesigned the world. that's fine. I don't see what that has to do with them implementing something similar to swtors hearth stone method. An example of why its a bad idea could be theirs technical issues, or its not worth the money to do. Praising the shit out of something and then claiming thats the reason they shouldn't get the hearthstone model for swtor isn't a valid reason. It's just a fucking advertisement for Blizzard.
    Well he stated that it wasn't needed in WOW, which is true. While levelling, the quests require a lot less travel time in wow than in SWTOR. At max level, the system isn't all that important, especially due to flying mounts, which reduce travel time by a lot.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

SWTOR's hearth only works in one zone. SWTOR's zones are completely isolated from each other while WoW zones are all interconnected by flight paths. A hearth that only works in one zone in WoW is much much worse than the hearth that exists in that game now.

If you can't understand why a SWTOR hearth that's limited to only 1 zone doesn't work in WoW, I doubt there's anything I can say to convince you otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by SamR View Post
    SWTOR's hearth only works in one zone. SWTOR's zones are completely isolated from each other while WoW zones are all interconnected by flight paths. A hearth that only works in one zone in WoW is much much worse than the hearth that exists in that game now.

If you can't understand why a SWTOR hearth that's limited to only 1 zone doesn't work in WoW, I doubt there's anything I can say to convince you otherwise.
    That's not what I meant. The hearthstone system should be reconfigured similar to swtors in the sense that ALL INNS ON THE CONTINENT (for example) could be reached with one hearth stone use. Put the entire world at your finger tips hell I don't care. Your getting caught up in some stupid distinction between swtor zones and wow zones which is entirely fucking meaningless to the point I'm trying to make. The swtor system gives people access to all the "inns" in the planet. The planets are roughly 5 or 6 zones (you can argue number I don't really give a fuck). Why can't warcraft borrow this model and give you more flexibility and freedom?

---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 08:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    Well he stated that it wasn't needed in WOW, which is true. While levelling, the quests require a lot less travel time in wow than in SWTOR. At max level, the system isn't all that important, especially due to flying mounts, which reduce travel time by a lot.
    A 30 minute hearth that can go ANYWHERE ON THE CONTINENT is still invaluable for levelling. It's a vastly more flexible tool. If blizzard did this you'd be talking about how fucking innovative it was.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-03-06 at 08:56 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's not what I meant. The hearthstone system should be reconfigured similar to swtors in the sense that ALL INNS ON THE CONTINENT (for example) could be reached with one hearth stone use. Put the entire world at your finger tips hell I don't care. Your getting caught up in some stupid distinction between swtor zones and wow zones which is entirely fucking meaningless to the point I'm trying to make. The swtor system gives people access to all the "inns" in the planet. The planets are roughly 5 or 6 zones (you can argue number I don't really give a fuck). Why can't warcraft borrow this model and give you more flexibility and freedom?

---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 08:56 AM ----------

A 30 minute hearth that can go ANYWHERE ON THE CONTINENT is still invaluable for levelling. It's a vastly more flexible tool. If blizzard did this you'd be talking about how fucking innovative it was.
    WoW won't borrow the model because it's simply unnessicary in WoW. Blizzard's travel system, quest flow and zone layout as a whole are vastly superior to ToR. You keep yelling about how WoW needs to borrow the 'innovative' system, but ignoring the fact that it's only in place because of sub-standard systems in other areas. ToR's hearth isn't only a vastly more flexible tool, it's a completley NESSICARY tool for their leveling experience - to quest without it would be hellish, and I'm sorry, but porting all over a planet doesn't exactly make me feel immersed.
    -Matthian 85 Worgen Balance Druid
    <Gaia> Alliance, US Mannoroth

Quote Originally Posted by Mathian View Post
    WoW won't borrow the model because it's simply unnessicary in WoW. Blizzard's travel system, quest flow and zone layout as a whole are vastly superior to ToR. You keep yelling about how WoW needs to borrow the 'innovative' system, but ignoring the fact that it's only in place because of sub-standard systems in other areas. ToR's hearth isn't only a vastly more flexible tool, it's a completley NESSICARY tool for their leveling experience - to quest without it would be hellish, and I'm sorry, but porting all over a planet doesn't exactly make me feel immersed.
    Right but a hearthstone tied to a single place once every 30 minutes is vastly more immersive.... The magic of the hearthstone is just that retarded. IMMERSIVE. If the quest design and flow and zone layout is so good its a wonder they still bother with the bloody things then. Might as well just make a FLEET PASS: ORGRIMMAR.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-03-06 at 09:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Right but a hearthstone tied to a single place once every 30 minutes is vastly more immersive.... The magic of the hearthstone is just that retarded. IMMERSIVE. If the quest design and flow and zone layout is so good its a wonder they still bother with the bloody things then. Might as well just make a FLEET PASS: ORGRIMMAR.
    As a level 85, I rarely use my hearth. When I'm leveling an alt, I set it to the area I'm in and use it once in a while, mostly when I'm about to log. WoW quest-flow has made it a bit frivilous. The hearth isnt what immerses me, by the way - the superior flow and travel does. Porting anywhere while questing in ToR is a poor cover-up for them leaving you in dead-ends all the time. You continually ask why people refuse to see why the ToR model is superior. Fine, it's a superior method of travel than the WoW hearth, but WoW hasn't picked it up because it simply doesnt need to, and you refuse to aknowledge that fact. ToR has its strong points, WoW has its strong points. I can appreciate both games pros and cons, you should too. You need to stop hopping on the "I hate WoW" bandwagon and attacking anyone that's answering your question in a way you don't like.

You can refuse to agree that the earth is round all you like, but that won't make it flat, man.
    -Matthian 85 Worgen Balance Druid
    <Gaia> Alliance, US Mannoroth

10+ Year Old Account
    If wow implemented it, I wouldn't know, I'm playing aion atm.
    It's not a bad system, I like it in swtor, but I don't see any use for it in WoW.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathian View Post
    As a level 85, I rarely use my hearth. When I'm leveling an alt, I set it to the area I'm in and use it once in a while, mostly when I'm about to log. WoW quest-flow has made it a bit frivilous. The hearth isnt what immerses me, by the way - the superior flow and travel does. Porting anywhere while questing in ToR is a poor cover-up for them leaving you in dead-ends all the time. You continually ask why people refuse to see why the ToR model is superior. Fine, it's a superior method of travel than the WoW hearth, but WoW hasn't picked it up because it simply doesnt need to, and you refuse to aknowledge that fact. ToR has its strong points, WoW has its strong points. I can appreciate both games pros and cons, you should too. You need to stop hopping on the "I hate WoW" bandwagon and attacking anyone that's answering your question in a way you don't like.

You can refuse to agree that the earth is round all you like, but that won't make it flat, man.
    I could care less about it's questing or flow. That's not what concerns me one bit. I'm not hanging on an I hate wow bandwagon, I could care less really. Its astonishing to me why people don't seem to think that the wow devs could learn a thing or two from swtor. Vica versa applies as well I might add. In the case of the hearthstone system, I think wow could definitely apply this model. It may not be the biggest change or even the more revolutionary but I disagree that it wouldn't be good. I think it would be entirely helpful and gives much needed change and flexibility to a system that has pretty much remained stale and stagnant and is the "vanilla" way of doing things.

---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 09:46 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    If wow implemented it, I wouldn't know, I'm playing aion atm.
    It's not a bad system, I like it in swtor, but I don't see any use for it in WoW.
    Well mages get a port to any capital city they like. That's extremely useful as a mage. Why not give the other classes similar mobility? HOMOGENIZATION and all....

Deleted
    It would be a utter discrace if TOR didnt contribute at all to the evolution of the genre. I hope that blizz and whoever tries to implement the good stuff just like TOR have tried to do. The genre as a whole is the only threat to each product right now. If things continue to stagnate in the genre i think all discussed titles might lose a huge amount of subs. I mean,,, how many play or make lucas arts style puzzled games nowdays?

Wait, a copy/paste game is getting copied?

There's nothing to copy in swtor, except for VO quests everytime you gotta kill 4 loosers.

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kijthae View Post
    PVP stat is now changed. It wont offer only defence , it will offer defence vs players , healing done vs players in pvp combat and damage done vs other players. I expect more changes like that and something like huttball in future.
    Didn't Rift do this almost a year ago? Like in patch 1.1? Who's copying whom, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    An innovator in a general sense, is a person or an organization who is one of the first to introduce into reality something better than before.

It does not matter who originates the idea. The whole point of innovation is improvement. Be it on an existing idea or something brand new, it does not matter. I think you were trying to be sarcastic but ended up stating fact.
    No, I truly think they are making things worse than before in WoW.

WoW doesnt add SWTOR hearth system, because flying mounts are vastly superior and more fun.

SWTOR doesnt have flying mounts. They use Quick Travel to make up for it.

I win.

I really wish they would copy the bolster mechanic and just make 1 lowbie bracket like in swtor, lowbie pvp in swtor is one of the funnest pvp experiences i've had while leveling, the only time i have fun pvp leveling in wow is when i'm decked out in heirlooms playing one of the overpowered classes that can 1-3 shot people.