Thread: Mining dilemma

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account

Mining dilemma

I have been questing and mining on my hunter in Searing Gorge and Burning Steppes.

The main ore in those zones is Mithril, which requires a mining skill of 150 to start mining. I am almost done questing in these zones and have raised my mining to about 220 or so. It just seems ludicrous to me that mobs found in BS, namely obsidian elementals, require a mining skill of 250 or 255 to mine.

I assume that is because they are lvl 50 or 51 (requiring 5 skill per level), which makes sense given the zone level, but why the huge discrepancy between the level of mining required to mine dead mobs, and the level required to mine the predominant ore in the zone?

I have a feeling that by the time my skill is high enough to mine mobs in BS, the mining nodes will be grey to me.

Deleted
    You will have this problem with almost any profession. Herbing, skinning, mining and especialy all the crafting professions. Leveling is way too fast to keep up with the zones. So you basically have 2 choices. You can slow down leveling and keep the profs up. Meaning you will have to mine some more mithril and hope to find some truesilver on the way to get to about 230 and then move on to thorium veins. Or you could ignore it for now and level to 85, to come back later (with a flying mount) and level it up then.

i waited to level profs on my toons until i hit max character level. was much easier to farm mats and to me it went quicker. i still gatherd as much as i could while leveling just so i had mats even though the mats were gray.

You can get mining skill ups by smeling ores. Rather then letting yourself get stuck at a level to catch up your mining, just go buy ores off the AH that will give skill ups, smelt to the point in mining you need to be, and then sell the bars for profit.

It's win-win. You get your skill ups, and the bars almost always sell for more then ores so you can profit off it too.

---------- Post added 2012-03-06 at 09:49 AM ----------

Alternatively, you can skip mining for now, hit 60 and get your flying mount, then go and quickly back level your mining up to where you need to be. It will be 1000x easier once you can fly.

Deleted
    This happens occasionaly, but there are always other places to level. Look at a mining guide.

leveling herbalism with mining, making massive profits on AH.

Deleted
    O mitril farming ....nice times!!!!

What you can "gather" from corpses is generally of poor quality, so you're not missing out on anything. And I don't mean several gold per stack of a grey item, but in terms of coppers or silvers.

Blue basically destroyed to balance of craft mining when they injected steroids into levelling... It's unfortunate to see but there's not much you can do about it unless you either A) focus on your craft more than your levelling or B) skill it up late and focus on levelling.

It won't be very efficient to try and focus on both considering you can get your flying mount and triple your coverage.