Poll: Do you think people should be able to buy junk food with food stamps?

Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you think citizens on food stamps should be able to buy junk food?

So when I was filling up at the gas station today, a lady in front of me, who pulled up in her jaguar, used her food stamps to buy doritos, soda, candy and some slim jims.

Personally, I think it's foolish to let people use our tax dollars to snap into slim jims.

What do you think?

Its stupid, but you have to keep in mind the cost that comes with restricting foods like that. With alcohol its easy because that's already controlled. There aren't really an mechanisms in place to control slim jim purchasing.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If the bitch can afford a Jag, she doesn't need foodstamps in the first place. Personally, I don't think they should regulate what you buy with foodstamps to that degree, Maybe there should be a system that tracks WHAT you buy and from there thigns can happen, if you spend all your food stamp money on candy and soda thats a problem, but if you spend SOME of it on candy and soda, not that big of a deal.

If the bitch can afford a Jag, she doesn't need foodstamps in the first place.
    Even if his anecdote is accurate, that's not the idea to short term welfare. We don't want people selling off all their belongings when they lose their job just to have to build back up.

There should be restrictions, there is too much abuse in the system already.
    Common sight where I live (GA) to see foodstamps used to purchase crablegs, steaks, shrimp, etc.

Around here they drive Lexus and Cadillac more though.

Meh that's not a big deal to me. I think people on welfare and Food Stamps should however have to take monthly drug tests. They're using our tax dollars to eat, and their own money to buy their next hit.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Even if his anecdote is accurate, that's not the idea to short term welfare. We don't want people selling off all their belongings when they lose their job just to have to build back up.
    Well, you know what they say about Jags, you buy two because one is always in the shop. When someone drives a nice-ish car on welfare its not an issue, but if I see someone driving a car that costs more than what I make in a year and uses foodstamps, something isn't adding up.

in fairness, slim jims are delicious!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awfulx View Post
    Meh that's not a big deal to me. I think people on welfare and Food Stamps should however have to take monthly drug tests. They're using our tax dollars to eat, and their own money to buy their next hit.
    Actually, I am using them to buy groceries and not get evicted from my apartment.

10+ Year Old Account
    There needs to be some kind of reform to make access to these benefits more difficult. I have seen people buying luxury clothes, bags, shoes and cars etc, but when they whip out the welfare food stamps at the groceries... that's just sickening.

15+ Year Old Account
    It always get me when I see someone use food stamps to buy crap and at the same time buy $100 in cigarettes, Alcohol and Lotto tickets. Sure got their priorities straight... huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it should be restricted to healthier foods to combat the growing obesity epidemic in America. You already cannot purchase things like cigarettes, alcohol, energy drinks and hot food. You can extend that to restricting chips, soda, processed foods and other things that are just unhealthy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends, define "junk food".
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    It always get me when I see someone use food stamps to buy crap and at the same time buy $100 in cigarettes, Alcohol and Lotto tickets. Sure got their priorities straight... huh?
    You forgot to list dog food

Some Welfare programs such as WIC, already have stipulations on them including what woman can and cannot purchase. I see no reason why food stamps should be any different.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asics View Post
    I think it should be restricted to healthier foods to combat the growing obesity epidemic in America. You already cannot purchase things like cigarettes, alcohol, energy drinks and hot food. You can extend that to restricting chips, soda, processed foods and other things that are just unhealthy.
    Ironically, organic foods are worse for you, and more expensive, on foodstamps my grocery list looks something like: Bag Potatoes, couple bags various frozen vegetables, some beef, pork, bacon, eggs, milk, chicken, flour, butter, that's the core stuff, if I have a little extra I'll go nuts and buy some sodas powdered drinks and maybe some chips, with the sodas, chips and deli meats I have infinite lunch for a month for next to nothing. Because I am on foodstamps does not mean I am not allowed to spend my money on luxury, it just means I should be a little more careful with my money, which is what i do.

The problem is the $6 an hour store clerk know what can and can not be bought on EBT cards/ food stamps. Unless all the stores use some sort of central UPC software like WIC does it wont go away.

This is America not Europe and capitalism works here for a reason. If they can't find work then we need to let them figure something out, not give out free handouts. If they're well-fed they won't be as inclined to go out and get a job... they need the literal hunger as much as the figurative.
    Last edited by moguri; 2012-03-06 at 12:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayuriel View Post
    Actually, I am using them to buy groceries and not get evicted from my apartment.
    Then you dont have anything to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think that there should be a different system in place for qualifying for food stamps to begin with. My next door neighbors drive an Escalade on 24's and have a Honda S2000 sittin in their parking spots and they get food stamps. However I drive a beat up mini-van, make $9.00 an hour and barely can afford to buy groceries for my wife and I every week and I get told I make too much money to qualify. It's complete and utter bullshit. Yes there should be some more restrictions on the things you can buy, but the qualifying needs to be completely reworked before the system will be in any way effective.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"