Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
... LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    No, they don't. You should work on your reading comprehension, though if English isn't your primary language it's understandable.
    You state that there a ton of problems with Minecraft and that it is not worth the money people pay for it. You also state that you in fact play Minecraft and have fun with it. My reading comprehension is fine.

    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I'm saying that the people running around acting like Minecraft is somehow the best game ever because it lets you build a giant dick made out of poorly textured voxels are dumb as hell, because Minecraft has a LOT of flaws. It doesn't mean it's not playable, or that it can't be fun from time to time - hell, even Skyrim's fun in small amounts - but it does mean that Minecraft isn't going to be winning any awards, and the fact that it won so many can only be chalked up to people that can't fucking be objective about the things they enjoy.
    I don't think people here are saying Minecraft is the best game ever. But for a sandbox game it is quite unique in letting you do pretty much anything. Yes, it has flaws but so does for example WoW, argueably one of the best grossing games in history. I don't fully understand your statement, you say Minecraft isn't going to win any awards then follow that up by saying Minecraft is winning awards because people can't be objective. So..how did they win, because everyone is a MC fanboy?

    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    The point is for it to have bad graphics? What? Then why doesn't it run at 120fps on my crappy computer and 400fps on a decent computer? I mean, after all, we're talking about a game with "bad graphics", so the least they could do is funnel the money that would have gone into aesthetics into decent programming instead.
    The original game was coded by one person and was designed to be a simple sandbox game where you MINE and CRAFT, hence the name. Yes, they could funnel money into making it look better and run smoother but a lot of people as I've said prefer the graphics of the game currently. I didn't play with legos cause of their awesome graphics. I played with them to build. I will yield the point of the game running poorly but honostly, do you need 120FPS for a game like this? On a FPS or MMO, yes, those FPS are handy but on this type of game, hardly necessary in my opinion.

    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Show me where Notch or Mojang came out and said "we want this game to be like an NES game." Show me that. Otherwise you're pullin junk outta your butt here. To say that you can build "whatever your mind can imagine," is pretty damned generous, too.
    I don't think it was specifically stated but as I said, a lot of people like the graphics the way they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    And I still wonder why combat was even added if it was just going to be an afterthought. You realize that decent, competent developers don't do that, right? If they were going to add a feature, and it was then decided that the feature did not fit with their game, or that it wasn't turning out well... they leave it on the cutting room floor, right?
    In most instances I'm sure you're right. They decided to add it here but not make it a focus. I do not work at Mojang so I can't say why they chose to add it but it is easily seen it's not meant to be a focus.


    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    I don't even want Mojang to do anything at this point because they've repeatedly shown that they don't know what they're doing. Jeb has some good ideas, we'll see if they get implemented. I'm damned glad Notch is hands-off at this point.

    Shit, I really think Mojang should just let the modders do the work and then they buy the code and assets from the modders. At least then we'd know we're getting decent programming.
    At this point I'm fine with the game as is. But that's just me. I play it rarely now anyway.

  2. #62
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Posts
    2,392
    Ugh, please don't start that again.

    Pizza, dude, you're entitled to your opinion. But you need to acknowledge that everyone's concept of what constitutes a game (or "fun") is different. Does this same argument have to spill over into every thread? Come on, you're better than that. Pick your battles...
    ^ The above should be taken with two grains of salt and a fistful of "chill the F* out".

  3. #63
    Herald of the Titans
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    2,690
    liking minecraft doesnt have anything to do with being addicted ~~

    minecraft is simply different than many of the common games out there. it gives you some tools and total freedom to do whatever you want with them! i picked minecraft up around a year ago with my rl-friend and we created a private server for just the two of us. now every once in a while we log in and add some new things to our world or simply take a walk in it and think about the times when we built our first house, tower, fortress, railway and so on.
    its just cool that you actually create things in this game that are meant to stay, so you can come back after x or y months and look at them again and you can change or add stuff if you feel like it. remember: its not subscription-based like wow, so you can drop it for as long as you want and still come back at some point and all your stuff is still there.(if you saved it properly at least :>)

    in most other games you simply follow the given route until you reach the end and then theres some kind of cinematic and it ends. if you want to play it longer, you need to play the whole thing again, wich is of course a lot less fun than it was the first time..

    this is also a reason why im liking most blizzard games so much: they often offer you tools to make your own maps or give you some long-term goals for wich you can strife for(farming your perfect gear in d2 for example or playing the custom maps in sc/wc3/sc2 etc.).

    nothing more, just some pure common sense right there!

    oh and, graphics dont matter at all ~~ minecraft would be unplayable if everything looked realistic..

    oh and to the guy who said something about stuff being in minecraft that professional programmers usually wouldnt put in... well minecraft is made by hobby-programmers mainly... so yeah good point you made there.. or wait.. where am i? uhhh....
    Last edited by Ghul; 2012-03-15 at 05:36 PM.

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghul View Post
    minecraft is simply different than many of the common games out there. it gives you some tools and total freedom to do whatever you want with them! i picked minecraft up around a year ago with my rl-friend and we created a private server for just the two of us. now every once in a while we log in and add some new things to our world or simply take a walk in it and think about the times when we built our first house, tower, fortress, railway and so on.
    its just cool that you actually create things in this game that are meant to stay, so you can come back after x or y months and look at them again and you can change or add stuff if you feel like it. remember: its not subscription-based like wow, so you can drop it for as long as you want and still come back at some point and all your stuff is still there.(if you saved it properly at least :>)

    in most other games you simply follow the given route until you reach the end and then theres some kind of cinematic and it ends. if you want to play it longer, you need to play the whole thing again, wich is of course a lot less fun than it was the first time..

    this is also a reason why im liking most blizzard games so much: they often offer you tools to make your own maps or give you some long-term goals for wich you can strife for(farming your perfect gear in d2 for example or playing the custom maps in sc/wc3/sc2 etc.).

    nothing more, just some pure common sense right there!

    oh and, graphics dont matter at all ~~ minecraft would be unplayable if everything looked realistic..

    This is exactly how I feel. Minecraft is incredibly fun with a group.

  5. #65
    The Lightbringer Tekkommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,005
    Quote Originally Posted by filthyguy View Post
    Why is everyone addicted to minecraft?

    Terrible graphics and not much to do kind of killed it for me
    Everyone? I don't play it, tried, not my thing.

    I know people who love it, so if you like to build stuff and have the patience to learn what you can actually do in the game, I can see why you would like it.

    Graphics also aren't everything.

  6. #66
    Pit Lord BoomChickn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Some place
    Posts
    2,433
    I feel this is most applicable and sums up my thoughts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

  7. #67
    The pixelated graphics is the entire premise of the game. It's the modern-retro clash within a sandbox setting that makes it so fun to play. If you don't understand why the graphics are portrayed this way, you are too young to appreciate them.

  8. #68
    Banned PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,768
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    I feel this is most applicable and sums up my thoughts.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ap87xnjOh8E

    I find it more applicable since it's a review that's openly critical of the game's shortcomings. But then again, it doesn't really go over the game's strong points either. It's not exactly even-handed but THEBESTGAMERSUSA is kind of a joke channel, anyway.

    The pixelated graphics is the entire premise of the game. It's the modern-retro clash within a sandbox setting that makes it so fun to play. If you don't understand why the graphics are portrayed this way, you are too young to appreciate them.
    Please find me a quote from Mojang stating that they are deliberately going for a "retro," look. Please also explain why a "retro," look means it has to look bad. Would you say Yoshi's Island looks bad, even though it's an SNES game? What about Super Metroid?

    See, Minecraft's default textures look just fine from a distance - it's why you see so many panoramic shots and Earth Porn™-type screenshots. The textures look HORRIBLE up close, though... like when you're actually playing the game. I still don't see why Mojang couldn't have put native HD texture support into the game, and then given the user the option of choosing "texture detail," from the video options menu. 32p, 64p, 128p, etc versions of the basic Minecraft look.

    Oh, wait. They can just let modders do that for them so they don't have to use the effort.

  9. #69
    Dreadlord Ibbi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    853


    I dunno, the simplicity and the total freedom in the game is what makes it so fun to play. I make my own story in my world and it's all awesome and stuff.
    DISCLAIMER: Reader discretion advised. The above post is entirely fictional and purely for entertainment purposes only. Any similarities to real life events, animals, humans, persons, politicians, or any other form of entity, living, dead or in any other state of existence, is purely coincidental. The author cannot and will not be held accountable for such similarities or any other parallels that are imagined and/or drawn by you, the reader, between the above fictional work and real life events.

  10. #70
    Banned PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibbi View Post
    I dunno, the simplicity and the total freedom in the game is what makes it so fun to play. I make my own story in my world and it's all awesome and stuff.
    There's some fun to be had and Minecraft is still a great game for when you're not quite tired enough to sleep, but not quite awake enough for anything that requires conscious thought. Though I usually just read until I get tired enough to sleep when I get in that state.

    I just don't think anyone's doing anyone any good by glossing over or outright ignoring the many, many problems Minecraft has.

  11. #71
    virtual legos. it's creative and simple

  12. #72
    Bloodsail Admiral Taurous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Vancouver Island
    Posts
    1,096
    I enjoy creating my own kingdoms. Giant walls, transit system, food systems, mining facilities, the list goes on and on. There is just so much that I can do in MC. IMO, the graphics fit perfectly. I don't think graphics have ever been considered when I decide if I like a game, they just don't matter if the gameplay is good.
    Blizzard introduces Transmogrification: YAY! Farm ALL the weapons!
    Hunters no longer use melee weapons: );

  13. #73
    The Lightbringer Kouki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,494
    Quote Originally Posted by filthyguy View Post
    Why is everyone addicted to minecraft?

    Terrible graphics and not much to do kind of killed it for me
    The graphics are not an issue, the default textures are because the creator played games with those texture looks, its a tribute to past games.

    You can download hd texture packs like HD photo realism with 256 bit graphics.
    "Warning you must use a 64 bit windows to use hd photo realism"

    Gameplay, have you actually played the game?
    You are actually scared to die, the monster sounds make you panic when your low on hp and carrying some diamonds.

    The world is yours to make, not only in game but with mods.

    The reason minecraft did so well and is so famous is because it lets you make the game, you change your world or even play with friends
    And make multiplayer worlds out of your own imaginations, no scripted game here.

    Bethesda knows this and thats why skyrim is so easy to make mods for, and why the mod making tools are added to skyrim.

    Blizzard knows this as well and why we can mod wow with addons, and why starcraft and warcraft 3 had mod and map making kits.

    Games where you get to make mods in and express creativity trump all the games that force you down a rigid path.
    -Scrapbot stole my sig-

  14. #74
    Mechagnome Fishyface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Posts
    667
    I'm addicted to it because of the sheer freedom it provides. I can make whatever i want on creative mode and really be proud of what ive made. Or get on survival mode and get into the game environment and try to eek out a living in a harsh world.

    Its also a really good game to relax in after youve had a hard day. I usually play swtor and then minecraft to unwind and go to bed.
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

    http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

  15. #75
    Banned PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,768
    But surviving in Survival isn't hard.

  16. #76
    Dreadlord Cinnamohn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Enterprise, AL
    Posts
    780
    Quote Originally Posted by filthyguy View Post
    Why is everyone addicted to minecraft?

    Terrible graphics and not much to do kind of killed it for me
    Minecraft requires an imagination to enjoy it, just like any other sandbox game.

  17. #77
    Banned PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,768
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinnamohn View Post
    Minecraft requires an imagination to enjoy it, just like any other sandbox game.
    The problem is that other sandbox games provide other things to do. Minecraft has no actual content, so once you're out of ideas, you're out of fun. There are no guidelines or milestones to work towards that you don't set yourself.

  18. #78
    I've always been tempted, but not yet taken the plunge into Mine Craft.

    BUT GAWD DAMN, that Kalimdor map should be used by blizz as the new map for the game. The detail is amazing.
    Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life.

  19. #79
    Banned PizzaSHARK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Posts
    10,768
    Quote Originally Posted by balir View Post
    I've always been tempted, but not yet taken the plunge into Mine Craft.

    BUT GAWD DAMN, that Kalimdor map should be used by blizz as the new map for the game. The detail is amazing.
    Minecraft looks detailed and gorgeous from a large, macro view, but once you get up close it looks pretty bland and uninspiring. I would definitely take Blizzard's world over Rameseskama's, despite how great of a job Rameses has done.

  20. #80
    Herald of the Titans Achaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    pfft as if you care..
    Posts
    2,661
    didnt you see the graphics BEFORE buying it?

    i swear people dont research games before buying them anymore

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •