Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Looking for a turn-based fantasy game on PC

I was wondering if anyone with a bit of games knowledge could point me in the right direction.

I'm looking for a turn-based fantasy style game on the PC (along the lines of Final Fantasy X, which I loved) It will be a bit of a time sink for me until GW2 comes out.

Sorry if there is already a topic on this but I was unable to find one. I was hoping for a game I could get drawn into the story-line with as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks!

Btw: I'm a bit unknowledgable so I'd appreciate it if you could give full titles and not abbreviations!

I recommend "Cthulhu Saves the World" (http://store.steampowered.com/app/107310/). It comes with another game bundled for $3. It has a good sense of humor, is pretty challenging (every turn, every enemy gets +10% attack), after killing X number of mobs at a certain place, they stop randomly appearing (usually about 20, so a reasonable amount(and you can initiate combat whenever you want)), etc. It's "kind of" turn based: you issue commands, then whoever has the highest Agility goes first. I was being dumb about the battle system, hence the edit.

Give "Cthulhu Saves the World" a chance! =)
    Last edited by icedwarrior; 2012-03-08 at 12:42 AM.

Deleted
    Hey Icedwarrior

Thanks for the info, I've had a look on Steam and it has triggered my interest somewhat so I'll definitely be spending a tiny £1.99 on checking this out!

Thank you very much for the tip and the link
    Mwah!

If anyone has anything else they think might be worth checking out let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Peahorse View Post
    snip
    Glad to help! ...sadly, there aren't many more games such as FFX. It's my favorite game of all time. Love that game..../nostalgia

...I'll be checking this thread too; ironically I'm looking for a good RPG game myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are not really typical turn based RPG settings but check out Septerra Core and Anachronox. Those are pretty much the most famous turn based modern PC RPGs unless you are willing to go back to say Ultima or Wizardary. There was also this one turn based style RPG that I was interested in that but have not gotten a chance to get yet called Battle Slots RPG, a combination of turn based RPG and a slot machine style game play. Also there was a PC port of Final Fantasy 7.

Deleted
    Thank you for the suggestions as well Machazod, I'll have a look into these too. Didn't even realise there was a FF7 port to PC!

Deleted
    Atlantica Online is probably the most popular turn based mmo right now. It's free to play too I think.

Deleted
    Awesome, thanks for the info Grizzl

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy crap. Someone else actually played Septerra Core.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightamethyst View Post
    Holy crap. Someone else actually played Septerra Core.
    Heh, wanted to suggest Septerra Core as well. Very overlooked game, and has a lot of Final Fantasy feeling behind it.

And I'd say avoid Ultima completely, Wizardry only 7th part shines. If you are up to go to older titles - go for Might and Magic IV+V. VI also very decent, but it is not well balanced and heavily promotes real time fight (pre VI MM are all purely turn-based).

Also, don't use port of FF 7 on PC, use PSX emulator (assuming you have the original game). FF 7 PC port suffers from terrible bugs and very bad hardware compatibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    None quite like that I can think of. But if you're more for story than graphics, I can suggest any of the Geneforge games, from Spiderweb Software. Excellent series (final games up the graphics/capabilities far more than the first two).

10+ Year Old Account
    Turn-based
    Fantasy
    PC

There's the only right answer - Heroes of Might and Magic. Particularly the third game.
    If you're looking for something less strategic oriented - the new King's Bounty games.
    Oh, I almost forgot, there's also Disciples II with more focus on unit leveling rather than sheer numbers.
    Last edited by Voidgazer; 2012-03-09 at 06:25 PM.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Voidgazer View Post
    Turn-based
    Fantasy
    PC

There's the only right answer - Heroes of Might and Magic. Particularly the third game.
    If you're looking for something less strategic oriented - the new King's Bounty games.
    Oh, I almost forgot, there's also Disciples II with more focus on unit leveling rather than sheer numbers.
    Were the Heroes games turn-based? I recall the M&M series itself was turn-based up until I think it was 6 or so.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

If they have a psp emulator out, there is the dungeons and dragons game that fits exactly what your looking for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Were the Heroes games turn-based? I recall the M&M series itself was turn-based up until I think it was 6 or so.
    I think they actually added turn-based combat in M&M later in the series. And it sucked anyway, real-time combat was far superior.
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

Age of Wonders 2: Shadow Magic, is probably the best game of its series.
    It's a fantasy RPG turn-based game, and even though I played the shit out of this game, I never see it mentioned anywhere. Is not a bad game, but not many people like turn-based strategy.

AoW is a game similar to Age of Empires, but with a fantasy setting and turn-based strategy. You start creating a character (select race, portrait, name, sphere of magic, and other things I forgot) and then the game starts in a city with some units. This game uses 2 types of resources: gold and mana crystals (iirc). Mana crystals are used for casting or learning spells from your spellbook. Gold is used for everything else: building all types of unit which vary in power according to your city's size (biggest cities have the better units) in a system of tiers. Almost all tier1 units have a melee unit, an archer, a wizard or priest and some type of siege-machine. You can explore the map (also by turn), every unit have a number of movement speed, which is affected by terrain (some units travel across water but are slow in forests and such), conquer other cities (according to their race: if you are an elf, you'll have to fight a city of orcs and if you win, you need to migrate it to elves before the remaining orcs take it again) and fight the other races.

You can set up peace with other friendly races (the same races who share a somewhat alike alignment, like elves are good and so are halflings). Peace state means you can't attack them and vice-versa, but even if you both don't share the same goal. When both races have proven themselves to the other races in Peace, you can send them an alliance invitation (if your army is strong enough, they'll accept it).

In AoW2 from time to time a spirit (from any magic sphere) will challenge you for a quest. i.e., if the spirit is a from war (fire sphere) he will ask you to kill some peasants across the road, or assault a defenseless city.

It's a long as fuck time-sink of a game, and the second version have quality graphics (3d and sprites, afaik) despite being a 2002 game.

You should definitely give it a try.
    Also, it's a single and multi-player game, and have it's own campaign to introduce you to it's rules.

Edit: Combat is really fun, and when you assault the enemy's main city with tons of units, don't expect it to be unguarded.
    Last edited by Restos3; 2012-03-09 at 06:54 PM.

I'm finding Heroes of Might and Magic 5 to be an excellent time sink, I don't think the sixth installment looks very tempting. Definately a must try.

There was also a PC port of Final Fantasy 8, if that matters. Of course, many would probably consider FF8 to be one of the worse ones in the series, but anyway...

I was also kinda surprised that someone mentioned Septerra Core before I saw this thread. I probably would've mentioned it if it weren't already... but... I didn't really like the game too much. =p It was fun for a while, and had a battle system very similar to Chrono Trigger if you've played that; some pretty neat ideas, but overall I found the game slow, with dungeons taking an awfully long time. Eventually I decided to just splurge on the game's equivalent of mana potions, and use one of my most powerful attack spells to get through every single random battle quickly. =p It was a repetitive and uninteresting way to play, but it saved sooo much time compared to using physical attacks...

Not to mention if Peahorse is looking for a fantasy-themed game, I wouldn't consider Septerra one. Though it's an odd case, as some areas are futuristic, some are primitive, some are medieval, etc...

I've only played Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3; while fun, I wouldn't consider them at all similar to Final Fantasy games in terms of style.. They're turn-based strategy games which include finding treasure/resources, using them to build structures and armies, taking over others' cities and so..

10+ Year Old Account
    This is another turn based RPG I highly recommend for PC though it doesn't have a high fantasy theme to it but still was really enjoyable at least for me.

Deleted
    Wow, spent the day stripping wallpaper at a friends house and come back to all these responses

I think maybe I'm being slightly too picky but I've been really pleased with all the help and info people have provided, Ive made a note of all the suggestions so far and I'm going to have a good old think on which one I want to play.

Thanks again, I think you're all awesome!