Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Heroic Warmaster - 3 heal with 10% nerf?

Possible? Doable? Realistic? Just to give you guys some idea of our dps we 3 healed HM Yor prenerf and had HM Ultrax down prenerf.

Doable?
    Yes, probably. Unnecessary, yes.

If there's such a skill difference between your healers and your dps, you might want to address that.

Doable at no nerf, just varies class comp.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its been done before so its certainly doable. The extra dps is just going to make that fight so much easier though, there's really no need for a 3rd healer.

Deleted
    People generally don't die on this fight because of lack of heals, they usually die because of stupidity.

yilar hit the nail on the head. The majority of damage your raid is going to take is from adds being alive. If melee adds are alive they will charge and if drakes are up then they are hitting the boat or need to be soaked. Aka the quicker things die the better off you will be and in phase 2 same thing applies. Sure the shockwaves and roars hurt, but the longer the fight the more roars he does. Most importantly at the end of the fight you want to kill him as quick as you can since he has vengeance because slow ticking health means more roars that do more damage. If you are having issues there I recommend saving hero till he is at about 40% health and burn though the hardest part.

You can add all the healers you want, you still can't heal the ship, which takes dmg from the adds around, killing the adds faster will reduce the ship dmg, adding extra healers won't do that.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daimon View Post
    You can add all the healers you want, you still can't heal the ship, which takes dmg from the adds around, killing the adds faster will reduce the ship dmg, adding extra healers won't do that.
    More healers = more heals going out
    More heals going out = dps not having to worry about getting heals when they run to soak barrage, after barrage
    DPS not having to worry about getting heals when they run to soak barrage, after barrage = more barrages getting soaked
    More Barrages getting soaked = less ship damage
    Less ship damage = win

On our last kill (meaning at 5% buff) I used a stop watch and had 39 seconds of complete idle time in P1 (as DPS obviously). If it's the same for you, bringing an extra healer will easily make the fight easier. If you barely get stuff down in time, however, it's not really useful to cut DPS for healers.

Thats a wrong logic, barrage still does 280k dmg split among those taking it, the ship takes nothing from any1 soaking, you can still be top and die of a single barrage w/o having the debuff if you dont do it in pairs/trio or have a CD, an extra healer cant help w that, and dps players can soak in pairs pretty good. Most of the dmg in p1 is avoidable/controllable with just 2 healers, the less dps you have the more barrages/rushs you will get.

My guild 2 heals and I spend the entirety of phase 1 being mana capped.
    i5 2500k Powercolor HD 6950
    8gb 1600mhz RAM
    96gb Kingston SSD, 1TB Caviar Black 64mb cache
    Basic P67 motherboard
    800 watt PSU
    NZXT Phantom Case: If you think this case is ugly, you are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Gringgotts View Post
    My guild 2 heals and I spend the entirety of phase 1 being mana capped.
    This. (I'm a resto sham for what it's worth)

When a nerf comes I feel like your first inclination should be: Can we drop another healer? not wanting to add one. Damage gets nerfed across the board with the 5% increments. Then more dps and lower health mobs means less damage going into the raid and a faster farm night.

"More heals going out = dps not having to worry about getting heals when they run to soak barrage, after barrage" -jynne
    With a 2 heal they shouldn't have to worry about that? It's like one Greater Healing Wave and they're back at full.

Quote Originally Posted by jynne View Post
    More heals going out = dps not having to worry about getting heals when they run to soak barrage, after barrage
    DPS not having to worry about getting heals when they run to soak barrage, after barrage = more barrages getting soaked
    Less ship damage = win
    If you are 2 healing and having trouble with P1, you are more likely having a dps problem/stupidity problem. You can only soak so much because of the debuff you get, so ideally you just want drakes to die as fast as possible as to make sure there are never more than 2 in the airs (a good tell things are going wrong is if you have at any point 3-4 drakes in the air for any prolonged period of time)

P2 is usually the problem with the 2 healers, but easily compensated by having A) Competent healers and B) Competent raid. Since having the whole extra dps means the fight will be shorter and you can deal with the rough 30-40% of the fight with proper usage of raid cooldowns and raid positioning for AOE healing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't even have to soak a single barrage since the 5% nerf, if you can kill each drake before they fly away after being pulled in (easily doable with 2healing, 5% nerf. 10% nerf now gives waiting time :x) and have everyone stack for onlsaught (which should already be happening)

I'd strongly advise against it. We 2 healed this pre-nerf and I felt like my job was the easiest. Just plan raid cooldowns for every onslaught and you almost have nothing to do. Remember that 90% of the time, you cannot prevent people from dying to barrages with the debuff or taking double charges. Adding healers isn't going to fix this.

P2 is a slightly different story but it's still better to go with 2 healers. We killed Ultraxion pre-nerf as well but our first Blackhorn kill had 9 people dying to enrage while the shadow priest dispersed and solo'd the boss. You still need the dps so have your healers planning their cooldowns and using them well. Once they get used to the pattern of shockwave and the other big damaging ability, it's not that hard. You can even have boomkins or shadowpriests helping out with some healing if required.

Quote Originally Posted by gracfuldeath View Post
    You don't even have to soak a single barrage since the 5% nerf, if you can kill each drake before they fly away after being pulled in (easily doable with 2healing, 5% nerf. 10% nerf now gives waiting time :x) and have everyone stack for onlsaught (which should already be happening)
    Well I can tell you that's impossible, we soak every barrage we can w/o getting ourselves killed and every onslaught with everybody plus we kill everydrake in their hook, and we are still getting the ship blown right before phase 2, last week we get to p2 this week is like impossible, either the fire is dmging the ship itself, but even soaking our asses off by the time we get the 2nd set of drakes the ship is under 50% and we get the 2nd wave of fire.

Deleted
    Hey,

it is possible to ignore the Twilight Barrage (the small voids from the drakes) and stack up with the range dps and hps and go into the Twilight Onslaught to reduce the dmg to the ship? (saw this tactic on a livestream on Tuesday). Melee dps and tanks go with the adds to the drakes position.
    (I ask it for my 25heroic raid)

Deleted
    No reason to 3 heal. Doable? Yes, but pointless. If executed perfectly phase 1 is insignificant damage. If executed poorly then people get 1 shot, which you can't heal through even with 5 healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanma View Post
    Hey,

it is possible to ignore the Twilight Barrage (the small voids from the drakes) and stack up with the range dps and hps and go into the Twilight Onslaught to reduce the dmg to the ship? (saw this tactic on a livestream on Tuesday). Melee dps and tanks go with the adds to the drakes position.
    (I ask it for my 25heroic raid)
    Quote Originally Posted by gracfuldeath View Post
    Pretty sure both of those are impossible. You have to soak at least some Barrages even with the 10% nerf, you can miss quite a few but you cannot miss 100% of them.

Quote Originally Posted by jynne View Post
    Less ship damage = win
    Do you understand how Barrage healing works? Getting topped off before one is easy. Even if topped off though you will get 1 shot if you try to soak multiple Barrages in a row. No amount of healing will change that.

Most of the deaths on this fight come from people getting 1 shot or 2 shot by a combination of mechanics landing simultaneously.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2012-03-01 at 06:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenGage View Post
    Pretty sure both of those are impossible. You have to soak at least some Barrages even with the 10% nerf, you can miss quite a few but you cannot miss 100% of them.
    We soaked 0 barrages prenerf, but we nuke one of the drakes dead when it starts getting harpooned in order to not have it cast a single one post that point. That way we get three less barrages than most tactics.