Need Help chosing a new MOBO! For I5 2500k

I honestly do not know what board to get between the 2 they both seem really nice.

If you have any other suggestions for a board in that price range please tell with why you think its better than either of these boards.*

I have all the other parts on the way / they are compatible with these boards and any other z68/p67 socket 1155 boards should also work with all my parts.*

THANKS SO MUCH! Now for the Boards

ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157264

ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157240
    Last edited by Pounced; 2012-03-08 at 05:29 AM.

First, both your links are to the same board. Second, "most" of ASUS (or any manufacturer's) boards being sent out with a major defect? This is why we don't trust (or even read) Newegg reviews. Nothing but hyperbole.

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, all you'll need.
    Super casual.

fixed the link and I'm looking at verified owners of the boards and a lot of them are complaining about the 1155 $200 range boards cpu pins being broken and DOA.*

Both of the Asus boards I looked at were the pro series on z68 and p67 at around $200-$210 but then again that can happen with any board but I am interested in the Asus boards.

Now for that board you linked me *asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 why that board? over the other z68 Extreme4 gen3 board?

Deleted
    The only difference on those boards are that the one you linked have 4x 6gb/s SATA ports. Unless you are planning to use 4x SSD you will not gain much from it. Fatal1ty series in general is sold by Fatal1tys name (everyone knows who he is) and the looks, you will get nothing more than a pretty board by that series. I myself would go with what Nellah linked since its 60$ cheaper.

Deleted
    Sabertooth p67 (B3) Now im not just saying that because i own one it is the best mobo i have even had the pleasure of owning and i have had a good few mobo's.Its rock solid a 7 year warrenty...yes people have doubts about the thermal armour but it works very very well if you have the assistant fan. Another plus is it looks awsome too.I think OC3D awarded it one of the best mobo's of 2011.I have owned ASSSrock in the past and had nothing but bad times with them as with other older ASUS mobo's and MSI too.Just a thought.

I personally own Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 and I'm very satisfied with it. It was cheap (compared to other motherboards of same chipset), got all the features I'd ever need (2x Sata3, 2x USB3). I particularly like the reset CMOS button on the backpanel, which is helpful, you don't need to take the side off to reset cmos if you overclock a bit too high.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Quote Originally Posted by Stravs View Post
    Sabertooth p67 (B3) Now im not just saying that because i own one it is the best mobo i have even had the pleasure of owning and i have had a good few mobo's.Its rock solid a 7 year warrenty...yes people have doubts about the thermal armour but it works very very well if you have the assistant fan. Another plus is it looks awsome too.I think OC3D awarded it one of the best mobo's of 2011.I have owned ASSSrock in the past and had nothing but bad times with them as with other older ASUS mobo's and MSI too.Just a thought.
    Yea I've looked at that board and it seems like a new kind of concept I'll have to buy the fan that doesnt come with it though.

Do you have the assist fan? and does that design make the board any cooler?

I would go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157264 because it has support for PCI Express 3.0.

The other AsRock mobo mentioned earlier (Extreme3) is just a cheaper (older?) version of the Extreme4. If you don't need the extra PCI Express slot or the extra SATA 3 ports then that would be a good choice to save yourself some money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post
    I would go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813157264 because it has support for PCI Express 3.0.

The other AsRock mobo mentioned earlier (Extreme3) is just a cheaper (older?) version of the Extreme4. If you don't need the extra PCI Express slot or the extra SATA 3 ports then that would be a good choice to save yourself some money.
    He is gonna buy Sandy bridge chip, not Ivy. Dont see a reason for pci-e3 if your chip wont support it.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskEd View Post
    He is gonna buy Sandy bridge chip, not Ivy. Dont see a reason for pci-e3 if your chip wont support it.
    Or PCI-E 3.0 at all unless you're doing specific GPU compute scenarios. It's a feature, but not really a selling point. Tested by Anandtech, it gave a zero percent performance delta over PCI-E 2.0 as tested with a 3960X (I believe) and a Radeon HD 7970.
    Super casual.

I'm looking to make this system future proof for atleast acouple years and I think that extreme4 board with PCIE 3.0 will do fine from what I'm seeing.

Yes I will be getting a 2500k for the time being but after ivy comes out and depending on how big of a performance game for the cost of a new processor will be I will happily upgrade to one since money isnt really that big of a deal with me atm, although I don't want to go overboard either.

I'm also waiting for the new 600 series from nvidia to come out to pair with this new machine. My 6850 from ati will do just fine at the resolutions I'm playing at for the new current games.

I'd have to agree, that you should purchase the ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 with PCIE 3.0 on the x16 Slots.

Also while having one PCIE 2 x4 slot should allow you in the future to look at a OCZ RevoDrive PCI-E 1TB Hybrid Solid State Drive or similar PCI-Express SSD.

I think you should still get Extreme3 Gen3, it's $50 cheaper. The only thing you'd need Extreme4 if you use more than 2 SSDs.
    Intel Core i5 2500k @ 4.7GHz | MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G x2 in SLI | ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Motherboard
    8 GB of Kingston HyperX DDR3 | Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB | Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB
    2x Samsung 840 Pro 128 GB + Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSDs (three-way raid 0)
    Cooler Master HAF 912 plus case | Corsair AX1200 power supply | Thermaltake NiC C5 Untouchable CPU cooler
    Asus PG278Q ROG SWIFT (1440p @ 144 Hz, GSync + 3D vision)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pounced View Post
    Yea I've looked at that board and it seems like a new kind of concept I'll have to buy the fan that doesnt come with it though.

Do you have the assist fan? and does that design make the board any cooler?
    Yep i have the assist fan it only cost around £3 here in the uk and it dropped the temps from mid 30's to mid 20's a previous ASUS mobo i have ran very very hot in camparison like 50's 60's

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 11:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ogretron View Post

You do know that current card's dont even come close to using all the bandwidth of PCI Express 2.0? 3.0 is a waste of money check OC3D for that information

Quote Originally Posted by Clearea View Post
    I'd have to agree, that you should purchase the ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 with PCIE 3.0 on the x16 Slots.
    I would also suggest this one, as it is was I have :P
    NZXT Phantom
    ASRock Extreme4 Gen3 | I5 2500k | EVGA GTX 560 TI
    8gb Corsair Vengence | 60gb Agility3 SSD | 1tb Seagate 7200rpm

There's no reason to buy the Extreme4 over the Extreme3 unless you need the 2 extra SATA3 ports, or the extra PCI 2.0 slot. The Extreme3 is virtually the same board for $55 less.

The internal USB3 connector could be a difference too if one has USB3 enabled front panel.
    Feral4Life since 2005
    cpu: Intel i9-9900K mobo: ASUS Maximus XI Extreme
    cooling: BeQuiet! Dark Rock 4 Pro gpu: ASUS RTX-2080 Ti
    ssd: Samsung 970Pro, 960 Evo, 860 Evo sound: sadly onboard
    case: Silverstone Fortress 2 Limited Edition (WRI) (I love that beauty)
    ram: 32G G.Skill 3200 C14 display: ACER X27 (G-Sync HDR IPS)

Ah yes, I forgot about the Internal USB3 header. That is a good reason to buy the 4, if you have front panel USB3.