Thread: Too Easy?...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    I don't consider it an mmorpg because you can solo the vast majority of the content and have no need to group with people. Heroes, while it helps the game to a degree, is one of the things that makes me never want to play it. I don't want to manage a squad for a dungeon. Not what I would consider fun.
    isn't it about the same in wow? do you need to group with anyone to see the majority of the content? certainly not.

if it weren't for dungeons/raids, one can see the whole game without being grouping with a single person.

found my old post :
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    then again, doesn't change the fact that MMO doesn't stand for "Massively Multiplayer Online-game-in-a-non-instanced-open-world-where-you-can-meet-other-people", does it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't consider it an mmorpg because you can solo the vast majority of the content and have no need to group with people. Heroes, while it helps the game to a degree, is one of the things that makes me never want to play it. I don't want to manage a squad for a dungeon. Not what I would consider fun.
    I can solo the vast majority of WoW, too, just so ya know. Seeing how the vast majority of WoW is not instanced dungeons/raids...

Also: What the guy above me said.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DrakeWurrum View Post
    I can solo the vast majority of WoW, too, just so ya know. Seeing how the vast majority of WoW is not instanced dungeons/raids...

Also: What the guy above me said.
    The majority of content I had fun with was either raids or dungeons. Sadly, the older dungeons have been nerfed to hell, but before cata you couldn't solo dungeons at level without a group. With GW1 you could because you had a party of AI controlled heroes. There is a big difference there.

10+ Year Old Account
    The majority of content I had fun with was either raids or dungeons. Sadly, the older dungeons have been nerfed to hell, but before cata you couldn't solo dungeons at level without a group. With GW1 you could because you had a party of AI controlled heroes. There is a big difference there.
    I haven't been through all that much of GW1, but most of what I have experienced doesn't come off as "dungeons" to me.
    I hope you haven't forgotten my role in this little story. I'm the leading man. You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies.

If you give in to your impulses in this world, the price is that it changes your personality in the real world. The player and character are one and the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maarius View Post
    you obviously haven't seen the harder content videos (e.g. the harpy-general) in lower level areas.

watch this from 9:16:

Lv.10 Veteran Harpy Matriarch: summons (tons of) younglings, buffs allies

the player is lv.30, backscaled to lv.11.

or this from mid to end:

-) Lv.11 Champion Cave Troll,

-) Lv.9 Veteran Ert and Bert

Just because you haven't seen those challenging encounters in low level areas doesn't mean that they aren't there.
    Maarius, that was some awesome footage for the Guardian slaughtering all the harpies. Already seen the warrior vid many times, its honestly one of my faves. But 2 good videos for people who are looking for good gameplay!

10+ Year Old Account
    Do a dungeon in GW1... they're mean, and i will tip my hat to you sir if you can solo any elite mission which is what i'd consider a raid ESPECIALLY on hard mode.... mother of god do those things hurt me... 5 words, Domain of Anguish Hard Mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

PVE never requires skill in any area of any game. Not trying to troll, but it is true. It isn't hard to beat a scripted event that never deviates from its programming.

PVP is where skill is needed as it is dynamic 100% of the time requiring people to think on their feet all the time instead of just following the same routine repeatedly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    PVE never requires skill in any area of any game. Not trying to troll, but it is true. It isn't hard to beat a scripted event that never deviates from its programming.

PVP is where skill is needed as it is dynamic 100% of the time requiring people to think on their feet all the time instead of just following the same routine repeatedly.
    PvE in GW2 is going to be very similar to PvP in a lot of ways. In PvP you have to worry about defense and offense/healing in most cases. In other MMOs with a trinity, in PvE, you only have to worry about one thing, tanking, healing, or dps.

Since there is no trinity in GW2, you have to worry about everything you would in PvP, it's just not as random and unpredictable. Doesn't mean they can't create variables and random elements to make it more organic.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

Quote Originally Posted by Malthurius View Post
    PvE in GW2 is going to be very similar to PvP in a lot of ways. In PvP you have to worry about defense and offense/healing in most cases. In other MMOs with a trinity, in PvE, you only have to worry about one thing, tanking, healing, or dps.

Since there is no trinity in GW2, you have to worry about everything you would in PvP, it's just not as random and unpredictable. Doesn't mean they can't create variables and random elements to make it more organic.
    While the events will be random, what happens during the events will not be. The same mobs will act the same way no matter what. Nothing they can do about that because they can't program every possible contingency, whereas a human being at the controls can think on their feet and do anything at any time. Very different, and one requires a lot of skill to combat, whereas the other just requires you to be breathing and paying attention.

10+ Year Old Account
    While the events will be random, what happens during the events will not be. The same mobs will act the same way no matter what. Nothing they can do about that because they can't program every possible contingency, whereas a human being the controls can think on their feet and do anything at any time. Very different, and one requires a lot of skill to combat, whereas the other just requires you to be breathing and paying attention.
    One can't say the same for PvP? If I'm paying attention I should be able to handle anything a player throws at me just like any mob. Mobs are smarter in GW2. There are videos of mobs kiting players.
    "Questions are for those seeking answers. Those who have answers are those who have asked questions." -Mike R. (Malthurius)

One can't say the same for PvP? If I'm paying attention I should be able to handle anything a player throws at me just like any mob. Mobs are smarter in GW2. There are videos of mobs kiting players.
    No offense, but if you get kited by a computer-controlled mob, then you fail at games.

Also, you can pay attention all you want in PVP, but if you don't know how to respond to a certain situation, then you will get owned. The difference in PVE, is that a mob may have one to three abilities/moves they will do, requiring you to just know how to respond to just those, whereas a player-controlled opponent will use everything in their arsenal.

that would be a beta friend

10+ Year Old Account
    No offense, but if you get kited by a computer-controlled mob, then you fail at games.

Also, you can pay attention all you want in PVP, but if you don't know how to respond to a certain situation, then you will get owned. The difference in PVE, is that a mob may have one to three abilities/moves they will do, requiring you to just know how to respond to just those, whereas a player-controlled opponent will use everything in their arsenal.
    The same can be said of PvE. PvE does require skill to effectively play the game, and PvP only requires as much skill has your opponent has.

The same can be said of PvE. PvE does require skill to effectively play the game, and PvP only requires as much skill has your opponent has.
    Yeah, but with PVE, even the 'smartest' mob is dumber than the biggest mouth breather you've seen in a PVP match-up, because they are unthinking and do the same thing all the time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, but with PVE, even the 'smartest' mob is dumber than the biggest mouth breather you've seen in a PVP match-up, because they are unthinking and do the same thing all the time.
    Unthinking, but able to be unpredictable if programmed as such.

10+ Year Old Account

lol so a mob crippling you, dodging away from you, knocking you back, increasing it's movement speed and running in circles around you as it shoots you going LAWLZ I'm programed to be a douche! means you fail? That's like saying "You fail at games by not surviving a 1 shot mechanic"...

And you sir clearly haven't played anything Guildwars Related, just because WoW and Tor, and possibly rift only have mobs with 1 or 2 skills doesn't mean GW2 will, hell if it's anything like the first game 9/10 times they'll have just 1 or 2 moves less then you!

---------- Post added 2012-03-08 at 08:53 PM ----------

Unthinking, but able to be unpredictable if programmed as such.
    A good example of this would be dragons in skyrim, they just kinda fly around going "Bitch i do what i want!"
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the lower level zones should be easy, but also teach you your basic abilities. Then around level 20 a small ramp up. Then every 10 or so levels a ramp up to match the power the characters should have by that level. And of course there should be really hard sections scattered through out zones as well. Like the challenges and stuff they're putting in zones, those should have decent difficulty depending on what the challenge calls for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Considering he went below 30% I'd say that noob zone is harder than in most MMO's.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Do a dungeon in GW1... they're mean, and i will tip my hat to you sir if you can solo any elite mission which is what i'd consider a raid ESPECIALLY on hard mode.... mother of god do those things hurt me... 5 words, Domain of Anguish Hard Mode.
    I'm gonna try normal mode FoW and DoA this weekend psyched

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrelbanes View Post
    I'm gonna try normal mode FoW and DoA this weekend psyched
    Can i come =D?