Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fresh 80 thanks to SOR - need help

Thanks to the scroll of*resurrection, I've found myself at level 80 playing a new warlock. *I've checked many guides, but there's nothing great out there that will help me figure out what spec and rotation/minion to use until I hit 85. *SOR seems to be both a blessing and a curse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!*

Quote Originally Posted by Phlemy View Post
    Thanks to the scroll of*resurrection, I've found myself at level 80 playing a new warlock. *I've checked many guides, but there's nothing great out there that will help me figure out what spec and rotation/minion to use until I hit 85. *SOR seems to be both a blessing and a curse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!*
    I'd recommend demonology/felguard for leveling purposes.

Ummm, maybe you should ask Blizzard how to play the class. hehe. I kid. But really locks aren't a class that you can just look at a guide and can figure out. I'm sure you'll find something on EJ for each specs' rotation 'n stuff though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zalkercin View Post
    Ummm, maybe you should ask Blizzard how to play the class. hehe. I kid. But really locks aren't a class that you can just look at a guide and can figure out. I'm sure you'll find something on EJ for each specs' rotation 'n stuff though.
    I wish they'd include some new type of trainer! And the EJ stuff is all about endgame and min/maxing. Guess it's time to hit the ol' quest chain.

Bit off topic sorry but when you get the instant level 80 does it have any items like a set of green gear or anything?

The EJ guide tells you your rotation for every spec, it tells you what to do when and so on, just cause it is used mainly for end game, doesn't mean you can't follow what it says while lvling.

They absolutely did include a trainer. Its called level 1-79.

Seriously though. the stuff I've read on EJ can still work on a level 80 you just have, sorry to say this, have a general idea on how to play your class up to 80 to know what you can and cant do and what works well together. I don't mean that disrespectfully either. Take what you read on there and then cut out the 81-85 talents and then do some questing to get a general feel for its play and then queue up some normal dungeons to put it into practice.
    Huh, wha-, you want me to come closer? Oh, you don't wanna fight anymore? Oh, your hands are up there almost like you're beggin'... beggin' for a little piece of Boba... Yeah, ya like that, don't ya? You like it, 'cause you're bad... oh, yeah... you dirty, little smuggler...

warlocks...imo, are one of the hardest classes to master. They have a shit ton of spells. I recommend using demo + felguard to level though. read the EJ post on demo spec and just use that rotation.

Deleted
    here we fucking go... the cries for help from people who got instant 80 and have no idea how to play it, hmm, who predicted this...

Quote Originally Posted by Kpal11 View Post
    here we fucking go... the cries for help from people who got instant 80 and have no idea how to play it, hmm, who predicted this...
    Yeah, no offense to 'em, but I'm gonna stay out of dungeons for a while.

You can still use EJ for rotation stuff, just disregard spells that you don't have yet. It's not THAT hard to figure out if something says

Priority: A, B, C, D, E and you don't have C yet, that you can still use the priority as A, B, D, E.

If this is hard for you, I'm terribly, terribly sorry.

Deleted
    Slightly off topic, but how does the new level 80 work? What kind of gear do you get or are you just in the level 1 gear? also do you log in level 80 or does your friend have to ding you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JustaBigBird View Post
    Bit off topic sorry but when you get the instant level 80 does it have any items like a set of green gear or anything?
    Yes, it does. For Plate wielders, you get a set named "Valiant", compromised with several tanking (could be healing or dps, depends on your choise) plate pieces.
    My brother did the Scroll of Ressurection on my account (stopped playing last year) and SWUSH-- I now have a lvl 80 (actually 82 now) Worgen Warrior.

@On Topic: EJ provides several guides on each class. This is the Warlock one. (Aff/Demo/Destro)
    While that being said, I'd personally recommend Demonology. There will be some down times (depends on performance), but you should be going with Felguard for AoE'ing down mobs or overpowered Felhunter for soloing (some) elites.

Mastery and Haste pieces are yummy during the first levels (as Demonology), but take a read upon those guides and find a style which suits yourself best.

As a general rule (for well... Humanity), if you don't like the thread (or topic), just stay out of it and rather do things you like.
    Last edited by Sesshomaru; 2012-03-08 at 09:19 PM.

-deleted. Nothing to see here.
    Last edited by marixis; 2012-03-08 at 09:32 PM.
    Huh, wha-, you want me to come closer? Oh, you don't wanna fight anymore? Oh, your hands are up there almost like you're beggin'... beggin' for a little piece of Boba... Yeah, ya like that, don't ya? You like it, 'cause you're bad... oh, yeah... you dirty, little smuggler...

Quote Originally Posted by chriscadaver View Post
    Slightly off topic, but how does the new level 80 work? What kind of gear do you get or are you just in the level 1 gear? also do you log in level 80 or does your friend have to ding you?
    You login on the battle.net homepage and click "claim rewards" under the SoR menu, you then select the character you wish to promote to lvl 80.
    Once that is done you will be granted artisan flying, a full set of 20 slot bags and a green set for lvl 80(the set is of wotlk quality and will be replaced as you advance through the first zone of cataclysm).
    you also recieve 75g and flight pats for most locations that a lvl 80 can reach.

The moment you apply the bonuses the only thing you need to do is login on the character and it will be promoted, you will get teleported to orgrimmar or stormwind depending on your choice of faction.

Also, warlock is perhaps the most tedious class to learn just by jumping in on a higher level like you do with SoR.
    Spec doesn't really matter on the way up to 85 but demonology is a damn fine way of leveling up quickly.

So, he turns to the internet to ask for some advice and help so he doesn't suck and you start complaining. Kinda seems like a no win scenario, he can suck and you can call him names, or he can ask for help and you can still call him bad. Well played sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlemy View Post
    there's nothing great out there that will help me figure out what spec and rotation/minion to use until I hit 85.
    I too made a fresh lock but instead of asking people what to do, I looked at what was happening when I use my spells and found what worked and/or what was fun to use. Remember when we played games to play games? "Conflagrate does a bunch of damage to targets with Immolate? Sweet there's a bunch of damage for an instant cast spell!" *runs over to a mob and casts it* "ooh and I get an awesome buff from using Conflagrate! I'm going to use this more often! I wish I could do damage to more targets. Oh Affliction lets me copy all my DoTs to another target!" *runs over to targets and Soul Swaps* "Now that I've used both abilities, I think that I like spec XX better than spec YY"

I posit that you haven't spent more than 15-20 minutes playing your toon because you've clearly haven't processed any of the classes spells and talents. Yes you're new to the class, but so was I last night when I got my lock. Don't run off to look for guides, play with the character and learn a little first.

Desto has a talent to buff your Imp's damage.
    Demo gives you a giant Felguard that charges, whirlwinds, stuns, intervenes.
    Afflic has an additional DoT spell and the Fel Hunter pet does more damage to targets with more DoTs on them.

Imps give an HP buff.
    Voidwalkers have aggro-holding abilities and can bubble you.
    Fel Hunters dispel de/buffs and give you Int.
    Succubus' can CC targets.
    Felguards can do a bunch of stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    So, he turns to the internet to ask for some advice and help so he doesn't suck and you start complaining. Kinda seems like a no win scenario, he can suck and you can call him names, or he can ask for help and you can still call him bad. Well played sir.
    You don't buy a hockey stick and then immediately go find someone to teach you how to make a slap shot.
    Last edited by Kzilla; 2012-03-08 at 09:45 PM.
    Oswald was over hit cap.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ganush View Post
    Not really his fault I know, but I just fucking hate what Blizzard are doing and I knew bads will start coming into dungeons with no idea how to play their class lol..

15+ Year Old Account
    Copying for great justice.. How could people not have seen this comming.

This sounds awful. When I was on RaF i granted my lock from like 11 to 30 and was lost. Can't imagine what its like at 80