10+ Year Old Account

Tradeskills in 1.8

Gersh, one of the lead Devs at Trion has posted some info on upcoming changes and additions to Crafting coming in 1.8....

Tradeskills and 1.8

Afternoon everyone,

So many of you might have seen the videos posted by G4 and Gamespot where we teased some of our new 1.8 content. I wanted to stop in and clarify a few things that way our designers can have a little bit more time to polish things before we go to PTS with them.

First let's start out with new tradeskills, yes we will be adding new auxillary tradeskills to the game that anyone can get regardless of their current profession. Yes fishing is one of those skills, and yes there will be a ton of stuff you can pull out of the water ranging from crafting ingredients, to artifacts and even treasure.

Secondly, lets talk about Seals. What is a seal? Well it is a NEW accessory slot that can only be created through tradeskills. You have to seek out a crafter to get a seal, there is no other way to get them. This is one of the ways we're working to ensure that crafters have a distinct place in our itemization. Crafters should have plenty to sell between seals, temporary enchanments and special recipes released with new content.

Finally lets talk about some new recipes, not only will be adding new recipes for the new tradeskills and seals, but existing tradeskills will be getting new recipes with Infernal Dawn. The items made for these particular slots will be VERY good, but also very hard to make with rare ingredients from the raid itself as well as other endgame locations.

On top of all of this we're trying to do as many small quality of life improvements as we can get into 1.8. Overall we're pretty excited about crafting for this patch and I hope you are too.

I promise that our designers will be hitting the PTS forums with detailed posts on each of this topics as we get closer to testing.

Thanks!
    -Gersh
    Source: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...lls-1-8-a.html

Now Seals have been on the PTS for a few weeks now...

So Seals are the equivalent of Jewelcrafting in WoW?

Please explain in better detail for me since I'm a little unsure.

I am glad to see that the new tradeskills they are implementing with 1.8 (or wanting to, anyway) will be available for everyone, similar to WoW's fishing and cooking and such.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    So Seals are the equivalent of Jewelcrafting in WoW?

Please explain in better detail for me since I'm a little unsure.
    From the looks of it, A Seal will be a new item slot, much like a ring, necklace, or trinket slot. Judging by the stats, it'll provide a very minor boost to a stat. Slipmat or Tarien has posted about them before, but I didn't get to check them out myself on the PTS.

Quote Originally Posted by Acquiesce of Telara View Post
    From the looks of it, A Seal will be a new item slot, much like a ring, necklace, or trinket slot. Judging by the stats, it'll provide a very minor boost to a stat. Slipmat or Tarien has posted about them before, but I didn't get to check them out myself on the PTS.
    That's a bit paradoxical.
    Like jewelcrafting would imply it's similar to runecrafting, like ring, necklace or trinket would imply it's a whole new type of equipment like a Synergy Crystal.

If I understand it correctly, it's a new type of equipment, aka slot. The slot won't award you with 3 or 4 stats though like it would any other piece of gear, it'll just be like +10 Wisdom.

ETA: From Gersh:

Secondly, lets talk about Seals. What is a seal? Well it is a NEW accessory slot that can only be created through tradeskills. You have to seek out a crafter to get a seal, there is no other way to get them. This is one of the ways we're working to ensure that crafters have a distinct place in our itemization. Crafters should have plenty to sell between seals, temporary enchanments and special recipes released with new content.
    Taken from: http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-gene...lls-1-8-a.html
    Last edited by Acquiesce of Telara; 2012-03-09 at 12:43 AM.

That sounds really boring.

You just buy the best one for your class from a crafter and then never change it, seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Primalthirst View Post
    That sounds really boring.

You just buy the best one for your class from a crafter and then never change it, seems odd.
    Yeah this does not sound all that exciting tbh, unless they expire or something, and the stats are so small as to be pointless. If you could make some with resists, that would be a little more useful.

10+ Year Old Account
    At the moment on PTS, you need a different Profession to make different seals, guess it's to encourage a bit of trade between professions

Currently this is who can make what....you will have a choice of just two seals to craft, a +9 for low levels and a +13 for level 50's

Apothecary = + strength
    Armorcrafter = + endurance
    Artificer = + wisdom
    Outfitter = + intelligence

As my alts also have Weaponsmith and Runecrafting i found it strange there was no Seal recipes for them

Anyhow, there was no slot requirement for Seals, you just right click on it and it's like a 'consumable', the stat gets added, no applying to gear and you can only consume one Seal, so if you , say, try to stack a +strength and a + endurance seal, the newer one will replace the older one

Deleted
    Any idea if there is a +dexterity seal btw Slip?

Quote Originally Posted by Slipmat View Post
    Anyhow, there was no slot requirement for Seals, you just right click on it and it's like a 'consumable', the stat gets added, no applying to gear and you can only consume one Seal, so if you , say, try to stack a +strength and a + endurance seal, the newer one will replace the older one
    They should add a Valor one, that way people will be swapping back and forth between Valor ones and +stat ones as they switch from PvE to PvP, generate a nice market. Though if they are expensive that may be a burden. If they go live with just stats the only people swapping will be clerics and warriors as they switch from tank to melee and in clerics case to healing. Mages and Rogues will just need the one.

Nothing incites greater anger in me than video game fishing. Wish I could dislike Gersh's post.

Kinda sated by raid crafting mats. But Rift has like such a trivial death penalty I have thousands of plat with little to spend it on. Sell-ables for raiders don't really make sense in Rift- it's not like this is EQ where the tax on raiding is sky high.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    it's not like this is EQ where the tax on raiding is sky high.
    You haven't seen the price on Burning Powerstones and Diamonds on my server Q_Q

I make those myself. No one really hangs out in lower Still or north EI and I just tap nodes and watch Netflix when bored.

Dunno, it's nice additions. I just feel kinda meh about it all because there are no stakes in Rift.

Well that still makes Seals pretty boring.