LF Feedback: PvP Movie

http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=204633

So I did my first PvP movie (Destro warlock 4.2) a couple of months ago and I'm thinking of doing a new one. However, I'm in need of some serious constructive criticism that doesn't include video quality that I am aware of (had to use a mediocre recording program because of data loss).
    If the intro bores you just skip the first 30 seconds.

Basically I'd like feedback about:
    -Music
    -Gameplay
    -Editing
    -Clarity of actions (did you notice succubus fakecasts, Death Coil/Whiplash interrupts, chain CCs and other techniques and number of opponents in 1v5 cases or was it all just a big blur?)

The playlist is the following:
    -Witchcraft by Pendulum
    -I Dare You by Mirrored Theory
    -The Lonely Island by Pendulum
    -ULTRAnumb by Blue Stahli

Hope you enjoy!

---------- Post added 2012-03-09 at 10:08 AM ----------

Also, I'd like a general opinion of the video, but if you could say why it would be great!

I would really appreciate some good constructive feedback, or some advice. Please!

-Music - i personally still love pendulum, blue stahli, etc - but most WCM'ers are tired of them because theyre used so much.
    -Gameplay - solid gameplay, poor opponents. props for still using destro though.
    -Editing - terrible. music cutting in and out at odd times, text on certain obvious abilities, zooming to show low hp too much,etc.
    -Clarity of actions- terrible as well. i would highly suggest removing your floating combat text, changing which items it shows, or getting an addon such as scrolling combat text. on a centered screen style game, it really sucks trying to watch you and the people youre fighting with paragraphs blocking the middle 33% all the time.

i did like the opening sequence though. i like pvp movies that start fast and right into the enemy's homelands. Hit 'em where it hurts.

Overall i'd rate it a solid 4 for the fact that youre a skilled player and i can see the work you put in, but the video quality and other aspects listed above were not on par.

Go watch something like adouken to see what can be done or (for more substance, less flashy effects) khuna 1 or 2 to see how pure skill and simple editing can make the difference.

offtopic, i rated on WCM to help out.
    When Injustice becomes law, Rebellion becomes duty.

Deleted

Thumbs up

From watching the first 5 minutes:

• As you already said yourself, better quality. It was really hard to watch.
    • Scrolling combat text, now this might just be me, but all the text that's filling your center of the screen makes it annoying to watch, I would either turn it off or find an addon to have it more controlled.
    • I would turn off the in game sounds.
    • While the deathknight might be over 2k rated as you claim, there's no proof of this. Tøøxlølz doesn't exist on the armoury and the video quality makes it impossiple to see the actual name of the deathknight. Which makes the duels less interesting.
    • Lastly it's nice to see a destro lock video without an undead in the leading role (even though I'm not a Belf fan )

All in all, had the video quality atleast been better I might have bothered watching it all.

Keep it up!

Thanks a lot for the solid feedback, it's really great and put up in a very nice way. For the combat text I used to read what was going on instead of looking at buffs and debuffs, but you're right, so I'm removing a lot of useless floating combat text.

The Dk keeps on changing his name so here's the armory link 0.o: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...%C3%B8x/simple

It was my first video and I had no experience whatsoever in movie making, so I guess I got caught up in the editing^^. However for the obvious abilities, I wanted to make sure that people notice what I'm doing like Coil and Bump interrupt, and mouseover fears.

Also, what do you think about the usage of professions/infernal in 1vX situations? Usually I consider them an unfair advantage and don't use them unless the opponent is doing so. But since it's 1vX and I'm outnumbered, especially when all alone against 3 or 4 enemies, are they considered fair game?

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenexis View Post
    Also, what do you think about the usage of professions/infernal in 1vX situations? Usually I consider them an unfair advantage and don't use them unless the opponent is doing so. But since it's 1vX and I'm outnumbered, especially when all alone against 3 or 4 enemies, are they considered fair game?
    Why should you? It's an ability. Use it. What are they gonna do? Log onto your realm, make a level one, and spam you? No, they won't. Use them if you need them!

Deleted
    ^_^ 10chars

Not commenting on the actual pvp in it since i dont care about that part.

My critics would be that your ui (especially the scrolling combat text) is so annoying that i turned the vid off after a couple minutes. Make a cleaner ui.

Deleted
    it was good very nice

Deleted
    Yeah sweet video.*

Thanks a lot for the feedback!^^
    So basically,
    -editing needs some toning down
    -UI has to be cleaner (as in no combat text spam)
    -Video quality obviously needs improvement
    -No holding back on abilities professions

If you have anything else to add don't hesitate to do so! I'm open for all kinds of constructive criticism!

Deleted
    as mentioned above the random zooms needs some working, the music fades in and out at odd times, some of the transitions were kinda bad, and the quality again as mentioned above could be better. etc etc. all this is mentioned already.

im gonna say i quite liked the music choice, as every destro pvp vid out there is basicly Rock music, and dont get me wrong i love rock music but it was nice with a change. you are obviously still new to all this so all i can say is watch some of the other lock pvp vidz out there, dont copy what they do but rather gather some inspiration and stuff before starting off with your video..

and for the content and your skills while it was hard to see cuz of above mentioned things it looks like you are quite skilled so all you need to do is work at it
    and a tip at the end, dont rush your videos. dont release it before you are 100% happy with your own work. and are proud of it. that way it will pay off when other people see it, for me personally it does count for something that you can see that someone had puts loads of work into their video. and its not just a matter of having the most effects and flashy stuff.

Goodluck with your future work
    Last edited by mmoc9b719c3609; 2012-03-18 at 09:22 PM.

Loved the video, and fully get behind those saying the UI needs to be cleaner. The big problem is the combat text scrolling across the middle and covering up your character. The human eye seeks things that move, and thus my eyes are constantly drawn to that middle part that's in reality pretty dull. It adds alot of noise!

Keep going tho, and let us know when you've made a second one!

Quote Originally Posted by Viridis View Post
    Loved the video, and fully get behind those saying the UI needs to be cleaner. The big problem is the combat text scrolling across the middle and covering up your character. The human eye seeks things that move, and thus my eyes are constantly drawn to that middle part that's in reality pretty dull. It adds alot of noise!

Keep going tho, and let us know when you've made a second one!
    Will do, will do!
    Also, what did you mean by "adds alot of noise"? Did you mean combat noise? I didn't turn it off because I thought it would help people understand some things, unless you think it's annoying. If so then I'll probably remove it next time!

Ok thanks. I would really appreciate it if you could give me the names of the fonts. I wanted to vary between them a bit so that it wouldn't end up so stale, but I guess that didn't work out well!

I've been a bit inspired by some new pvp videos posted on the forum, so I was wondering if anybody would be interested in Destruction arena footage:

-2v2 Disc/Destro. These are composed of long clips though and revolve mostly around awareness, especially against Disc/Feral (as in evading every single Mana Burn through ept-switches, knock-backs shadowfury, death coil, etc...). There are also clips with massive chain CCs of 30 seconds.

-3v3 Destro/Frost/Holy Paladin. Rather long clips that are also about chain CCs. I do no special damage, instead I focus on CCing the enemy team by managing my Seduce and Fear on two targets most of the time.

Matches wouldn't be over 2k though, as I haven't found any partners willing to go higher.

I hope this isn't necro-ing, but I don't think it's worth it to do a new post seeing as what I'm about to say is related to the current thread.

I've decided to edit my first movie again to make it "better". I won't be able to remove the tons of scrolling combat text, but I've made the intro less useless (removed a lot of flying text) and put in some icons and text that show what I'm doing (Crossed out brainfreeze during spell-lock to show that he can't kick me, or "Fake Seduce" written when I stopcast a seduction during a rogue's kick).
    The question is, would these icons and text annoy you as viewers and appear to make me look smug, or would they be helpful and make things more understandable and smooth?

This would also help me for the next video that I plan on doing, Destruction in arenas.